Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Sgt Jonny Cat
Registered Member

Old live rock

I took a small piece of live rock out of my tank this summer (about 2 lbs) and it has sat in my garage since then. I just noticed how much I like the look of it and want to put it back in. Can I just put it in? Or do I need to do something to it first??

Thanks all....

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon
Sgt Jonny Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2015, 12:57 PM   #2
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I'd give it a bleach/water bath overnight and dry it out for a week or so after if it were going into my tank.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2015, 02:27 PM   #3
Paul B
Premium Member

I would just throw it in. But that's just me

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2015, 02:35 PM   #4
SGT_York
Registered Member

Rinse it off with old salt water. There are many posibilities, likely there was some die off which would spike your nitrates/phosphates. Bleaching and waiting would eliminate most of those nutrients. Anything from your garage could have contaminated it gasoline vapors, pesticides, etc. Recuring it in old tank water is the best bet, but there is little risk if you know what your rock was exposed to, just a rinse and toss is a good option.

Weight the risks and the cons with what you have in the tank and how severe a bit of nutrients would mean. Only you know the details of the rock.

SGT_York is offline   Reply With Quote