Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2015, 11:46 AM   #1
juniorrocketdad
Registered Member

Power outages

Hello
As many of you the north eastern United States is getting pounded by blizzard like conditions right now and it's likely we will loose power, unfortunately my new generator won't be ready until next week so that's convenient, anyway for my reef tank I have 6 marine batteries and an inverter, and a battery backup to run my 34 gallon and a 55 gallon, what other precautions should I take to prepare for the storm

juniorrocketdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2015, 12:04 PM   #2
scumbag_gli
Registered Member

I always keep a warm thick blanket ready to wrap around the tank, keeps the heat in.

Actually its Derek, enjoy my stupid antics.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gal Display. Fish Room under construction.
scumbag_gli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2015, 11:13 PM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Key is to buy the generator well ahead of storm season; and periodically run it so it actually works when you need it. Should last years unlike, apparently snow shovels. I can never quite figure out why hardwares stores sell so many ahead of snow storms. What happened to the ones that got bought before the prior storm. I know I keep mine from year to year.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2015, 05:32 PM   #4
snorvich
Team RC member

Full House Generator powered by natural gas. But if not, battery operated air pumps and blankets in winter.

Unread 01/30/2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Paul B
Premium Member

I keep some firefish and flame scallops in my tank for heat

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2015, 06:19 PM   #6
1MP3R1AL
Registered Member

Solar.

Unread 02/05/2015, 09:14 PM   #7
dogface 13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Full House Generator powered by natural gas. But if not, battery operated air pumps and blankets in winter.
+1 , i have battery operated pumps on standby. and usually in florida dont have to worry about heat

dogface 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 10:23 PM   #8
birdfish
Premium Member

I had several folks after Hurricane Andrew tell me they had very few losses and were without power a couple weeks. They credited it to the tank being full of live rock, and battery powered air pumps. And I suppose lots of D batteries. Another thing to consider
is those sterno heat thingies for keeping food warm, but if using a blanket that could be risky, be very careful. If you put a couple under the tank in cabinet it should be fine.
Also for short term, heat packs are an option as well. Tape them to outside of tank, under the blanket. Or you could do like Paul B said, fill your tank with Firefish, Fire Clowns, Fire Coral, etc..... LOL

birdfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 05:04 AM   #9
atreis
Registered Member

Generator. No need to go the full-house generator route, if all you need to power is the tank pumps and refrigerator. I use a Kipor 2000 watt inverter generator, and a manual transfer switch for the circuits I care about. This sort of generator is a lot more efficient - 5 gallons of gas will keep it going for nearly a week.

Current Tank Info: custom 100g reef, custom sump
atreis is offline   Reply With Quote