Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2015, 02:25 PM   #1
emcmilla
Registered Member

Banggai Cardinal Help

So, I have had my Banggai Cardinal for 2 weeks and I am not sure what's up with him. I haven't seen him eat at all. I have tried mysis and brine shrimp to no avail. This morning he was in an odd position. Instead of him being horizontal he was vertical. His head up near the top of the tank. I have a solar fairy wrasse in the tank with him. They're both in QT still. This afternoon the banggai is sitting near the bottom. He doesn't seem to be breathing heavily. I really don't know what to do for him.

I hope someone could provide some suggestions before it's too late.

Thanks in advance

Current Tank Info: 150G reef tank
emcmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2015, 02:53 PM   #2
tc2007
Registered Member

That's the problem with wild Bangaais. They are hard to feed. Another issue maybe they are nocturnal so feed mostly at night. Have you seen them active at night?

tc2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2015, 08:05 PM   #3
davidfrances
Registered Member

Hate to say this, but your cardinal sounds like it is in a bad way. I had really bad luck with Banggais for years, until I scored a bonded pair off Live Aquaria. They are doing well and I hope they will breed soon.

Good luck and all the best.

davidfrances is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2015, 12:54 PM   #4
emcmilla
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. He died last night. I won't be getting another, especially because they are endangered and I didn't realize that until after.

Unread 01/27/2015, 07:18 PM   #5
tc2007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcmilla View Post
Thanks for the responses. He died last night. I won't be getting another, especially because they are endangered and I didn't realize that until after.
There are tank bred too. Those will eat I think.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...72&pcatid=2672

Unread 01/27/2015, 07:51 PM   #6
davidfrances
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi, I hope my previous response didn't discourage you.

I experienced the same thing with this species several times over the years. It really wasn't until I purchased a tank bred F1 pair from LiveAquaria that I had any success. I believe they were $80 for the pair. In fact, tonight when I went to feed mine, I noticed the male is carrying eggs, so I hope I'll have a few survivors from this batch!

Tank bred F1's are the way to go. They are being sustainably raised, and if you can also contribute to the breeding process, you can further contribute to reducing the pressure on wild populations.

davidfrances is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2015, 08:21 PM   #7
justthewife
Registered Member

he may have been sick when you got him or had some other disorder. Was he acting this way from the beginning or did it come on suddenly? Was the wrasse picking on him? I am sorry he died. Don't let it discourage you. It is the circle of life. I got my bangai in a pair. I also got my pajama cardinals in a pair.

Current Tank Info: 90 gal tank AquaMax skimmer LED EchoTech Gen 3 lights Gyre150 RO/DI water
justthewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2015, 01:17 PM   #8
emcmilla
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfrances View Post
Hi, I hope my previous response didn't discourage you.
No, your post didn't discourage me . I appreciate everyone's response. What I meant, was that I didn't like contributing to killing a species that's endangered. I may get a captive bred one or pair.

Also, I think he was sick all along. I never seen him eat. And my anthia was bugging him so I switched him to the QT with my wrasse. Wrasse never bothered him.

In any event, I am glad I know now that for cardinals captive bred is the way to go!

Thanks everyone!

Unread 01/28/2015, 02:38 PM   #9
eatbreakfast
Registered Member

Though were they are currently collected most for the aquarium trade is from.around Bali, Indonesia , where they are an invasive species, so getting wild caught ones does not really affect the natural population from.Bangaii atoll, except that they dont need to be collected from there.

Current tank DB 80g rimless
Wrasse and SPS dominant
eatbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2015, 11:02 AM   #10
tc2007
Registered Member

Quote:
No, your post didn't discourage me . I appreciate everyone's response. What I meant, was that I didn't like contributing to killing a species that's endangered. I may get a captive bred one or pair.

Also, I think he was sick all along. I never seen him eat. And my anthia was bugging him so I switched him to the QT with my wrasse. Wrasse never bothered him.

In any event, I am glad I know now that for cardinals captive bred is the way to go!

Thanks everyone!
I lost 2 this week. One had internal parasites and one had a bacterial infection. Will try some more later from a different LFS.