Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/13/2017, 12:05 PM   #1
CaptD103
Registered Member

Reactor Choice?

Hello, fairly new to hobby. Reef tank for 3 months now. Having a problem with nitrates (25-50ppm). I believe it is coming from bioload from a snowflake eel. 65 gal tank. 20 gal. 2 chamber diy sump. Eshoppes psk-75 skimmer. Rio 2500+ return pump. 1350gpm powerhead in DT.

2 small azure damsels, 1 flame angel, 1 mocha clown, 1 snowflake eel. I don't think I'm overfeeding but not sure where else the nitrates could be coming from. Ammonia 0. Nitrite 0. Nitrate 25-50. Phosphate 1. SG 1.026. PH 8.2. Ca 430. Temp ~80. CUC of a sea urchin and assorted snails and hermits.

Other than the skimmer, I have no other filtration/media. Was thinking about a BRS dual reactor with carbon and GFO but today read about biopelet reactors. Also considering a HOB refugium with macro algae.

Looking for advice on which direction to head? I know the fuge is a good idea regardless but as far as carbon/gfo vs biopellet? I'd like to get both my nitrates and phosphates down. Thanks for the help!

CaptD103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2017, 12:14 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

You are more than likely overfeeding..
While a GFO/Biopellet reactor can "cover" that up.. Its not necessarily a good solution..

I would actually suggest just reducing feeding and increasing water changes to reduce both nitrates and phosphates..
Solve the problem don't cover it up with more equipment..

In general fish,etc.. can easily tolerate those levels but higher end corals and even urchins/snails/hermits usually cannot for too long.. But its certainly possible they can for a long time..

You have a skimmer so maybe you just want to start looking at carbon dosing (vinegar/vodka or both) along with some more water changes and heavy skimming..
That plus reducing feeding and a few more water changes should get you all squared away..

But if you want to try a reactor of some sort (biopellets really maybe GFO too for the phosphates but biopellets will take care of both.. Its just not as fast working as GFO for phosphates)

Also what food are you feeding and how much?
Frozen foods?

my $0.02

Unread 04/13/2017, 03:57 PM   #3
CaptD103
Registered Member

I feed the fish a 1/2 cube of Hikari Bio-Pure Spirulina Brine Shrimp every other day and the eel gets 1-2 frozen silversides and 1-2 frozen krill every other day. Every day i drop a few omega-one pellets in the tank. Everything is eaten nearly immediately. I give 1/4 tsp of coral frenzy to the tank every 3-4 days, although I just started that for my corals. The nitrate and phospate problems were present before the coral frenzy.

Unread 04/13/2017, 04:06 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

shoot..I didn't even see the 3 month old part...
Give the tank time IMO... and keep on those water changes..
After the 6-8 month or so mark I find tanks to be much easier to maintain low nutrients,etc...

Unread 04/13/2017, 06:16 PM   #5
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

I would go with a macro algae reactor for the long term solution. Saying that, McGyvr is a wealth of information. I'd stay away from bio pellets and possibly consider marine pure.

I'm new too, but my next investment is an algae reactor for sure!!

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef, 10g mixed reef w/nem & clown, 5g NPS & harlequin
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2017, 06:30 PM   #6
CaptD103
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I've never even heard of an algae reactor. Does the amount of food seem ok?

Unread 04/13/2017, 06:33 PM   #7
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

Algae reactors are pretty new. Algae scrubbers are going to be the next thing. You can always cut back on feeding unless your inhabitants start to shrivel up. Do you siphon your substrate?

Also if you can't get them down with less feeding and more water changes, look into carbon dosing to increase your nitrogen gas export process.

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef, 10g mixed reef w/nem & clown, 5g NPS & harlequin
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biopellet, gfo, nitrate, phosphate, reactor