Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2016, 12:51 PM   #876
biecacka
Registered Member

As always this tank is amazing to look at!
Sorry to hear about your broken brace, would you transfer everything to a new tank? What size?

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2016, 02:56 PM   #877
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
...would you transfer everything to a new tank? What size?

Corey
Thanks. Yes, I am getting ready to order a new tank. Going to do the same foot print 72"x24" but instead of 29" tall, I'm going to do 26" tall. The calculator says this will be an 194.5 gallon tank vs the current 210. Better for lighting and working on the tank. Tank will be a Crystal Dynamic custom Starphire, Eurobrace, Black Silicone, maybe Black Back with 20" Synergy Overflow. Getting a new stand, no canopy with 2 Kessil AP700 LED lights., New APEX system with Leak detection module, going to add GFO Media Reactor AE FR50

I'm debating on if I should stick with the current 10 year old Euro-reef with the two recirculating Sedra pumps, externally mounted to sump/refugium or get completely new gear with new Aqua Excel 10 DC Cone Skimmer, Trigger Systems Tideline 48 Refugium Sump and two Aqua Excel DC 8000 return pumps. Existing stuff skimmer works but those Sedra pumps act up every so many years. The Eheim 1262 pump has been no maintenance for the last ten years. I like no maintenance.

Any advice or opinions on new equipment and best way to transfer inhabitants would be welcome and appreciated. The goal is low maintenance and quieter tank which is why DH wants new equipment.

Do you think I can lower the water in the tank and move it out from the wall so the new tank can be set in place?

mobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2016, 04:06 PM   #878
biecacka
Registered Member

Any updates?

Corey

Unread 04/28/2016, 10:51 AM   #879
ZoeyLove
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty51008 View Post
Imo haveing a clownfish tank with many clowns is easy as long as they are all from the same batch of eggs. Ive had 120 clowns in a 40 gal tank for over a year with no deaths.
Can you post a picture?

ZoeyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2016, 06:39 AM   #880
ccbeauch
Registered Member

Update please!

ccbeauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2016, 09:19 PM   #881
mobert
Registered Member

Hi, thanks for the interest! Tank was saved! I drilled the cabinet and added some threaded rods across the cabinet to hold the tank together. Anything to avoid moving all the inhabitants! I got two new Kessil AP700's--very happy with them thus far. I got an EcoTech M1 return pump and a new Trigger Emerald 40 sump and a new super expensive Royal Exclusive skimmer. Everything is up and running like before but WAY quieter with the DC skimmer and return pump.

Unread 07/08/2016, 09:54 PM   #882
rfalvey89
Registered Member

PICS! {please}

Current Tank Info: 150 gal powered by Ecotech Radions, Vectra, MP40QD's
rfalvey89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2016, 09:56 PM   #883
biecacka
Registered Member

Glad to see you were able to save everything from a move. Also glad you like all your new toys .

Corey

Unread 07/09/2016, 04:12 AM   #884
rt67ghy
Registered Member

Very nice tank. Good to hear you didn't need to change it.

Current Tank Info: Fish: 1 yellow tang, 1 mandarin, 1 pair of tomato clowns, 1 maroon clown, 1 skunk clown, 1 banggai cardinal. Anemones: 1 green haddoni carpet, 2 heteractis auroras, 1 LTA.
rt67ghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2016, 12:11 AM   #885
reefmama1220
Registered Member

following this thread as im getting backlash from considering this VERY idea for my 225g dedicated clown harem tank. one big question for you mobert, did you do any crazy WEEKLY 50% wcs like the brs team did? not a bad crazy but thats unrealistic if im doing clowns in a 225 lol. can NOT afford to do weekly 110ish gallon wcs... NOOOOOPPPEEE! anything specific you would suggest and emphasize equipment wise? i was going to try and get an entire clutch of domino or same as the brs team (darwin) but i think i might just do regular percs just as a trial run. if everything with them works out ill know for down the road. =]

reefmama1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2016, 09:13 AM   #886
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmama1220 View Post
following this thread as im getting backlash from considering this VERY idea for my 225g dedicated clown harem tank. one big question for you mobert, did you do any crazy WEEKLY 50% wcs like the brs team did? not a bad crazy but thats unrealistic if im doing clowns in a 225 lol. can NOT afford to do weekly 110ish gallon wcs... NOOOOOPPPEEE! anything specific you would suggest and emphasize equipment wise? i was going to try and get an entire clutch of domino or same as the brs team (darwin) but i think i might just do regular percs just as a trial run. if everything with them works out ill know for down the road. =]
I don't think you need to do the huge water changes we do, we just have tons of water on hand and it's one of the most reliable methods of keeping the nutrients down. I strongly feel the biggest two keys to our success and is minimizing habitat and food aggression with dozens of RBTA's and very frequent scheduled feedings from the auto feeder.

A skimmer alone just wouldn't keep up with this feeding schedule so if water changes were not an option I would consider a large algae scrubber or carbon dosing like vodka or Po3Po4x . The RBTA's might not like the ultra-low nutrient environment but with this many fish, the food and waste it might be ok.

BRSTV & 52 Weeks of Reefing
Snarkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 06:11 PM   #887
Kinetic
Registered Member

how is it all going after all this time!? hope you're doing well.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 01:40 AM   #888
dochou
Registered Member

Any updates?

dochou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 07:41 PM   #889
j.falk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochou View Post
Any updates?
Ditto!

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 05:13 PM   #890
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarkys View Post
I don't think you need to do the huge water changes we do, we just have tons of water on hand and it's one of the most reliable methods of keeping the nutrients down. I strongly feel the biggest two keys to our success and is minimizing habitat and food aggression with dozens of RBTA's and very frequent scheduled feedings from the auto feeder.

A skimmer alone just wouldn't keep up with this feeding schedule so if water changes were not an option I would consider a large algae scrubber or carbon dosing like vodka or Po3Po4x . The RBTA's might not like the ultra-low nutrient environment but with this many fish, the food and waste it might be ok.
My 180g ClownFish Harem tank, 55 clowns + 25 Bta's. My sump is a 125g tank. I run a Reef octopus 150 int skimmer, 10"x12" algae scrubber, and I run a carbon reactor. I do 1 50g water change about every 6 weeks.

Tank #1: 180g "in the wall" ClownFish Harem Tank!

Current Tank Info: 180g In the wall build
Zagzoo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2019, 10:35 AM   #891
E.intheC
Registered Member

Any updates on this tank?

Unread 08/17/2019, 02:06 PM   #892
peter7
Registered Member

peter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2019, 10:40 PM   #893
mobert
Registered Member

Tank has been up about 15 years. Several years of neglect. Months of no skimmer water changes nor even feeding. Three days of PG&E power outages. Tank is now cleaned up. LPS 90 % dead but new shoots sprouting from the skeletons. SPS mostly gone. One BTA left. All fish except four clowns and one flame angel left. Ricordias, Paly, and Nepthia dominating tank. Two of the four remaining clowns have started to clean tiles. Hopefully I can re populate. Although I love the many colorful new designer clowns I think maybe Percs are the only clowns that can get along in multiples. I really never witnessed beat up fish or real aggression. I hope my clowns are not too old to lay viable eggs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8FE8C484-45AF-4C65-9EC8-621AA94D5165.jpeg (72.2 KB, 89 views)
Unread 11/29/2019, 12:41 AM   #894
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobert View Post
Tank has been up about 15 years. Several years of neglect. Months of no skimmer water changes nor even feeding. Three days of PG&E power outages. Tank is now cleaned up. LPS 90 % dead but new shoots sprouting from the skeletons. SPS mostly gone. One BTA left. All fish except four clowns and one flame angel left. Ricordias, Paly, and Nepthia dominating tank. Two of the four remaining clowns have started to clean tiles. Hopefully I can re populate. Although I love the many colorful new designer clowns I think maybe Percs are the only clowns that can get along in multiples. I really never witnessed beat up fish or real aggression. I hope my clowns are not too old to lay viable eggs.
Awesome! That's a new start.

AkoAung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2019, 04:52 PM   #895
QuickxSilver
Registered Member

Beautiful tank, I'm a few months into my clown harem and learned a lot reading your thread and following brs

QuickxSilver is offline   Reply With Quote