Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2011, 11:25 PM   #1
lacosta28
Premium Member

How to glue down corals?

So I got a coral last week that is doing really well in my tank. I had it sitting on the sandbed but I know want to put it on a rock. What do you guys use to glue them down? All I have at home is some krazy glue and silicone. Will any of these work?

lacosta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 11:29 PM   #2
wbdevers
Registered Member

What kind of coral is it and what is it attached to now? In other words, what was it stuck to when you bought it?

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!
"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails

Current Tank Info: 125g ML dual corner OF mixed reef, Custom stand and canopy, 40g custom sump, lighting (in flux :( )
wbdevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 11:32 PM   #3
lacosta28
Premium Member

It's a zoa and it is attached to its own piece of rock.

Unread 03/07/2011, 11:46 PM   #4
wbdevers
Registered Member

You can do one of two ways. Most everyone uses the reef safe epoxy that is sold by companies like Two Little Fishes. I use it, but I am 99% certain it is the EXACT same thing sold at Lowes. Next tube comes from Lowes--half the price. It is a two colored layered putty in a plastic tube. You cut off a chunk and then kneed it until the color is uniform. Decide where you want the coral to go and use a toothbrush or whatever to clean the "host" rock. (1) Take your "hostee" rock and give it a quick dry off. Mash the wad of epoxy to the bottom and then stick the coral/rock/epoxy to the host rock. Or option (2) Clean host spot, and then mash the epoxy to it. Now take your coral rock and mash it into the epoxy. Next carefully remove the coral rock. Your epoxy now has a perfect impression of the rock. Now quick dry the coral rock, put a generous glob of GEL SuperGlu. It can be any brand, Krazy glue, LokTite etc. Just make sure it is 100% acrylate (sp). Let the glue sit for a moment or so. Now just place the rock in the epoxy and wiggle it a little to seat it. Your done. Basically you end up with a rock/epoxy/glue/rock sandwich.

HTH and isn't too confusing.

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails

Current Tank Info: 125g ML dual corner OF mixed reef, Custom stand and canopy, 40g custom sump, lighting (in flux :( )
Unread 03/08/2011, 12:29 AM   #5
profntbtr
Registered Member

any of the stick epoxies will do, but do keep in mind that they are not for adhesion, but will basically create a rock in whatever shape you mold it into

profntbtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2011, 12:31 AM   #6
Japsican
Beans&Rice

I use the method that wbdevers explained with excellent results.

Japsican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2011, 01:14 AM   #7
lacosta28
Premium Member

I was looking at epoxy a few weeks ago at Lowe's but I couldn't find anything that said aquarium safe. I don't want any harmful chemicals leaking out into the tank. Any particular brand you guys recommend?

Unread 03/08/2011, 01:25 AM   #8
eja99
HI Monk Seal Poipu Kauai

I use Loctite gel and it works amazingly well.

You should be able to buy epoxy from your LFS.

eja99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2011, 06:28 AM   #9
rysher
Registered Member

what if you cnat remove the rock you want to attach it too?

rysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2011, 09:10 AM   #10
wbdevers
Registered Member

The stuff at Lowe's won't be labeled "aquarium safe" because they don't sell products directed at the hobby specifically. If they did, PVC fittings would cost twice as much there. TLF sell two colors; gray and red. The gray is what you get at Lowe's. If I remember correctly it is actually in the plumbing dept. by the PVC glues and such, but I haven't checked in a long time.

rysher, not sure why you need to move the "host" rock? The frag will come with a rock or frag plug. If it's on a plug, most people cut off the stem and just attach as I described.

Many of the soft corals can be attached using a rubber band and a piece of rubble. Basically just rubber band the frag to a rock and wait a week or two. The coral will attach itself. You then just cut the rubber band off and you are good to go.

HTH