Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2017, 10:05 AM   #1201
nineball
Registered Member

Exclamation Brief update

I am pushed for time at the moment but thanks everyone for all the continuing interest in this thread...........

I have NOT done anything yet about the broken tank. This requires more time than I have at the moment to take everyone through recent deliberations but I want to let this community know about a change that is coming up that will affect this thread.

From the beginning I have used 'Phanfare' for my cloud based photo/video storage facility. I have just been informed that it will be shutting down on May 28th. Although they made provisions to accommodate users with a transfer of the photos to 'SmugMug' the links to this thread will be broken and all photos in this thread will disappear. I don't know how to avoid this from happening so any suggestions would be welcome. It seems to me that it will be sad to lose this resource as so many of you have contributed to its success. I do have all the original photos (and a lot more)but I can't imagine going through almost 200 pages of this thread to rebuild the sequence from scratch.........

I'm sorry to those who helped along the way but unless a miracle happens this thread will be 'Photoless' from May 28th on....................

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 10:58 AM   #1202
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
I am pushed for time at the moment but thanks everyone for all the continuing interest in this thread...........

I have NOT done anything yet about the broken tank. This requires more time than I have at the moment to take everyone through recent deliberations but I want to let this community know about a change that is coming up that will affect this thread.

From the beginning I have used 'Phanfare' for my cloud based photo/video storage facility. I have just been informed that it will be shutting down on May 28th. Although they made provisions to accommodate users with a transfer of the photos to 'SmugMug' the links to this thread will be broken and all photos in this thread will disappear. I don't know how to avoid this from happening so any suggestions would be welcome. It seems to me that it will be sad to lose this resource as so many of you have contributed to its success. I do have all the original photos (and a lot more)but I can't imagine going through almost 200 pages of this thread to rebuild the sequence from scratch.........

I'm sorry to those who helped along the way but unless a miracle happens this thread will be 'Photoless' from May 28th on....................

Peter

That is extremely unfortunate Peter. May I suggest simply uploading all the originals into an "Album" on SmugMug/Flickr and linking it here? While it's not as useful as having them in the context of posts, folks could still browse through them and if absolutely crucial to do so possibly even match the old file name from the URL in the thread to a photo out of the album/gallery.

Either way, I agree that it seems nearly impossible to save the thread photowise outside of a "Way way back machine" or other website snapshot but most don't understand/can't crawl a single thread.

Someone could start here: https://web.archive.org/web/20170422....php?t=2096730 and archive each page but again, a Herculean task and would need to be done for the various "Split" threads prior as well.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 11:04 AM   #1203
nineball
Registered Member

Thanks Chris......this is all new to me. Thanks for the introduction....I will investigate further.

Peter

Unread 04/22/2017, 11:05 AM   #1204
scubadan206
Registered Member

I was thinking of posting a "thank you" to Peter thanking him for keeping the photos up on this thread.
Thank you.
If there is a way to still keep access to them we would appreciate it greatly.
As you are probably paying for it monthly, it is completely up to you.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 11:19 AM   #1205
nineball
Registered Member

the cost isn't an issue as much as the feasibility of trying to keep the thread in tact. I believe the context brings the story of this build to life though the thread. We all learned as a group and that shared experience is what makes this thread so valuable in my opinion. Making the photos available is not difficult in a generally accessible album but again without the narrative context its just not the same thing.

One observation I have is that the 5 year history produced a number of highlights through the evolution of the build. Some of the best features didn't necessarily all occur at the same time so I was thinking of creating the best of the tank over the five years in one album but that too is not a trivial task to do well or properly.

Peter

Unread 04/22/2017, 11:22 AM   #1206
scubadan206
Registered Member

I will have to read your thread again. For the fifth time or so....

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 06:13 PM   #1207
dave.m
Registered Member

Hi, Peter. Glad to see you've not given up on us quite yet. After moving all your photos to a new host I could redo your website to show the new image locations (unless your website is on PhanFare too).

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 06:38 PM   #1208
nineball
Registered Member

Dave, I had forgotten you actually live in this forum.......Great to hear from you! As you know better than most the reef central thread on this build is almost 200 pages long with a kazillion photos embedded throughout the entire thread. The linked photos came from a number of large directories on phanfare. I have moved all the directories over to SmugMug but the links did not transfer so there is virtually no way to relink the old photos from the new directories back to this thread without doing it manually which would in my estimation take at least seven dog years to accomplish unless I am missing something?

Your usual generosity and commitment to this build community deserves recognition but this task is waaaaay over the top. Frankly I'm not even sure its possible to do manually.

Peter

Unread 04/23/2017, 05:29 AM   #1209
dave.m
Registered Member

Peter, I was referring to the Four Masters website. The Reef Central admin does not allow anyone to modify their posts to the forum after about an hour. However, there are far fewer direct links to individual images on the Four Masters site. That would not be as big a job to re-link (btw, the phanfare links still work from there at the moment). If you have new links on SmugMug I could re-direct Four Masters.

Please let me know what you think.

Dave.M

Unread 04/23/2017, 08:53 AM   #1210
pendraig
Registered Member

Peter, I followed your build at the beginning, but I ended up in an ICU/coma in 2012 (long story) and my tank was left to fend for itself. Some livestock did survive but I had to tear it down. Fast forward 5 years later...got back from the dead worked for a few years but had to go back to disability to manage stress and rare form of diabetes. Got back into the hobby and caught up on your build. Sorry to hear about the catastrophic event and I can relate in a way. But then again life seems to be a cycle of birth, death, and rebirth. Looking forward to catching up with all the lessons learned in your build these last 5 years. - Patrick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pendraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 09:21 AM   #1211
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Peter, I was referring to the Four Masters website. The Reef Central admin does not allow anyone to modify their posts to the forum after about an hour. However, there are far fewer direct links to individual images on the Four Masters site. That would not be as big a job to re-link (btw, the phanfare links still work from there at the moment). If you have new links on SmugMug I could re-direct Four Masters.

Please let me know what you think.

Dave.M
Sorry Dave, I must be brain dead......i see now what you meant.........I definitely would appreciate the help. It's probably a worthwhile effort .......especially the last slide show (even without the music). Since its so new I will have to recheck the smugmug login/signon procedures and create an account for you. I will PM you the details.

Peter

Unread 04/23/2017, 09:25 AM   #1212
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendraig View Post
Peter, I followed your build at the beginning, but I ended up in an ICU/coma in 2012 (long story) and my tank was left to fend for itself. Some livestock did survive but I had to tear it down. Fast forward 5 years later...got back from the dead worked for a few years but had to go back to disability to manage stress and rare form of diabetes. Got back into the hobby and caught up on your build. Sorry to hear about the catastrophic event and I can relate in a way. But then again life seems to be a cycle of birth, death, and rebirth. Looking forward to catching up with all the lessons learned in your build these last 5 years. - Patrick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Glad the hear that you did better than my tank . There has been a lot of discovery through this build and as much evolution in my thinking after the crash as before........but that will take a bigger time window than I have at the moment.........

Peter

Unread 04/23/2017, 03:18 PM   #1213
dave.m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball
I will PM you the details.

Dave.M

Unread 06/26/2017, 02:49 PM   #1214
j_mazzy
Registered Member

bump for posterity and never forgetting those who wouldn't warranty their tank build........

j_mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2017, 01:18 PM   #1215
BZOFIQ
Registered Member

First I was blown away (by the beauty), then my jaw dropped (like the bottom seam), and now I'm subscribing because I want to know when the next greatest thing happens (v 2.0). All after watching a YouTube video and clicking on the link within.

Hope a new chapter in Peter's life, along with new thread will happen soon.

I shall be notified!

BZOFIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 04:37 PM   #1216
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Further to Peter's issues with his photo host (Phanfare), my image host (Photobucket) has now held its customer's image links for a $400/yr ransom, subsequently, all of the images that I linked to this thread are also broken.

I hope you all are well and can still derive some inspiration from Peter's epic build.

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2017, 10:43 AM   #1217
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

I was going to post a link to your photobucket account, because it's just the hotlinnking that is disabled - you can actually go and directly view another users' albums.

But you already deleted all the pics....

If you "quote" a message with a photobucket ransom speedometer, you can see the link and then copy/paste that into the browser bar and go directly to the picture, sort of. You have to do a few clicks and then wade through endless popups and overlaying ads, unless you have an ad-free account.

Either way, I wish you hadn't deleted them because there is a workaround that is available for many different forums where you can restore the broken links by downloading the hotlinked images and saving them as attachments.

So for anyone else thinking of deleting all their PB pics...don't.

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 12:05 PM   #1218
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Thanks Floyd

I haven't deleted anything in photobucket. They must have sold PB to a new owner. It's overrun with popups, loads very slowly, and the layout changes most times I try to use it.

I set up a group on FB for peters fish tank. There are some great pics there. What I'm disappointed about is the how-to images and technical stuff that is nothing without the images, and the images alone mean nothing without the description.

I used to upload my images straight to reef central, but they lost all of my images in a crash so I switched to what seemed like a more reliable platform.

Tal Sweet lost 10 years of captive breeding images to the PB ransom. If it were a reasonable price, I would pay it. $400 a year starts to add up for a thread that deserves to be kept alive

Unread 07/25/2017, 12:07 PM   #1219
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

I don't keep any private pics on photobucket, so you are all welcome to copy a link and view my library. The FB group is more succinct though

Unread 07/25/2017, 12:23 PM   #1220
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

I just took a look at my PB library on my iphone. It loads quickly and the popups are minimal. It's almost impossible to use in Safari or Chrome, but maybe I tried on a bad day while they were doing upgrades?

There are 51 pages in my library. Peter's tank can be found from page 25-50.

Unread 07/25/2017, 12:48 PM   #1221
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

I found them, I guess I was looking at the sub-albums and not seeing any pics (or only a few) in those. I neglected to look at the main bucket.

FYI for anyone interested, here is the link: http://s998.photobucket.com/user/ree...?sort=3&page=1

The trick is that PB has really screwed with the login process. So if you happen to be lucky and have an ad-free account, you have to first log into that - which is a tedious process in which you have to mouse-over the "login" button to get the overlay, then it goes away when you try to click on the username filed, repeat a few times until you can get a cursor there and the overlay doesn't go away, then tab (don't click) to the password field, usually after that the overlay drops again, but keeps the info, mouse over again, click login, this does not log you in but instead reloads the page.

Repeat all of the above again to actually log in. If you can do it without the side pop-up ad pushing the entire page to the right in the middle of all of this.

Then once you are in your account and looking at your bucket, replace the URL with the direct link to mr.wilson's bucket in the same window - NOT a new tab (that will log you out, of all tabs) and then hit enter and you will see his bucket.

If you happen to click any link that opens something up in a new window, chance are extremely high that you will end up getting logged out of all tabs.

Now, try to download an album. Supposedly you are supposed to be able to do this, but I haven't been able to make it work. On Chrome and FF I go through the "I'm not a robot" thing as well as the captcha test (which only pops up on Chrome, not FF) and when you go to download, it throws an error "hmmm something went wrong, try it again" but the download button does not do anything, and trying again from scratch = dead download button, usually you have to reload the tab and repeat and it still does not work.

So my guess is they don't want people downloading their stuff and taking it elsewhere, more Photobucket Jail Warden tactics, and my guess is they are intentionally making it difficult to stay logged in thus increasing their pop up ad view and thus revenue.

AFAIK they did not sell but the rumors are that the dropped from 60 employees to 20 recently and then the Paywall issue has doubled their income in the last month...some people are actually paying it.

Unread 07/25/2017, 01:04 PM   #1222
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Also FYI, RC has opened up post editing rights for 30 days

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/an...ment.php?f=191

Unread 07/25/2017, 01:15 PM   #1223
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Solution to downloading your album: buy $1.99 (that's TWO dollars) Chrome extension

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d.../reviews?hl=en

this adds a download button to your PB page. Apparently, PB intentionally broke the album downloader after announcing the 3rd party hosting paywall

Unread 07/26/2017, 12:28 AM   #1224
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

FYI Mr. Wilson I was able to download your entire main bucket just now. If you want I can upload it to my server and give you a download link to the zip file it's only 152M lol

Unread 07/28/2017, 09:36 PM   #1225
CementShoes
Registered Member

Peter,

NUMEROUS years ago, some friends and I tried creating and running the WGMS (West GTA Marine Society). At one point, we had the privilege as a group to visit the tank and see the build. We were all blown away, and the wife still talks about it to this day, as she tagged along (she's sleeping right now, and when I become the bearer of bad news in the morning about what happened to your tank a while ago, I am sure she will be devestated). I still to this day remember you giving your little welcome speech when we all arrived after having all gathered at Tim Hortons before making our way to your home, and you let us know that a Sushi dinner would arrive at 7:30. No sooner my watch turned over to 7:30, your doorbell rang. And there was dinner. Amazing.

I looked up this thread because I still have my salt water aquarium I started in 2007. And I now have four-year-old identical twin girls. And they obsess with our tank. And I thought to see if you still took visitors because I am sure the girls would be beside themselves to see your tank. But having found the thread and seen the sympathy posts, I scrolled back numerous pages to read the news.

Peter, as you've heard dozens of times already, I am sorry for your loss. Maybe one-day things will have picked up enough so the girls and I can pay another visit. Until then, be well, and all the best. May the best of your past be the worst of your future

CHEERS!

Current Tank Info: 90gallon with 150lbs of live rock, and 90lbs of live sand
CementShoes is offline   Reply With Quote