Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2015, 09:13 AM   #1126
silentscream
Registered Member

Here is my tribute to Peter's reef. This build has been such an inspiration to my reef keeping, I couldn't help but to form some little teeth for this skull shaped rock my wife pointed out. Hope all is well Peter, looking forward to your return!

Unread 06/19/2015, 04:41 PM   #1127
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Wow I had no idea about this

So sorry Peter ((

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2015, 06:40 PM   #1128
luvreefs23
Registered Member

Well 2.0 usually means bigger & better....ive owned a few tanks in my day and I cant imagine Peter would be happy with smaller. I would imagine he'd lose that natural feel, look and behavior of the animals hes grown accustomed to. When i bought my tank from coast to coast i distinctly remember the owner telling me they have never had a tank fail and they also build on site. My tank was perfect. Good luck on the rebuild.

luvreefs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2015, 03:47 PM   #1129
FloformAustria
Registered Member

first of all I´m really sorry for your loss... could´t believe it... I followed this tank since the beginning!!

saw the 3D animations of your drop off tank!
just wanted to say I have on too, not that size though

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2511159

I´ll be following along!!

Cheers,
Flo

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2015, 08:53 AM   #1130
ReyR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
first of all I´m really sorry for your loss... could´t believe it... I followed this tank since the beginning!!

saw the 3D animations of your drop off tank!
just wanted to say I have on too, not that size though

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2511159

I´ll be following along!!

Cheers,
Flo
Very nice. How many gallons is that?

ReyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2015, 11:33 PM   #1131
FloformAustria
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyR View Post
Very nice. How many gallons is that?
thanks!!

it´s around 160gal

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2015, 07:44 PM   #1132
Pax20
Registered Member

Wow. I just read this thread from the beginning. I cannot even begin to imagine going through the loss of your beautiful tank and biota. I lost all my Discus (5 tanks/15 fish) over 10 years ago from accidental chemical contamination and I still fill sick to my stomach when it comes up in my memory. I now have Biocube 29 and lost most of my corals and a brittle star during a move in January. Another pit in my stomach but this was due to my lack of resources and physical disability. I like to believe that most fresh and saltwater enthusiasts love their tanks and fish as much as any other pet. I am not ashamed to say that I name my fish and invertebrates and talk to my corals too. I grieve for my losses as I know you and your team must be grieving over yours. Thank you for sharing your experience. I am so impressed by your intelligence, composure and class in. dealing with this disaster. I am slowly repopulating my tank and actually I'll be picking up a used, partially gutted Red Sea Max 250 on Saturday which I will slowly re-equip and establish as my main tank. Reef keeping is surely an addiction - the happiness (high?!) is so worth the struggle. I look forward to my 2.0 and yours! 👏👏👏👍👍👍

Pax

Current Tank Info: 29BC primarily LPS reef tank; tomato clown, chromis, featherduster blenny, wrasse, yellow tang 12DX live rock, fungia, 2 red firefish, lettuce nudibranch

Last edited by Pax20; 07/09/2015 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted
Pax20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2015, 09:16 PM   #1133
createyourown
Registered Member

Last time I came here to see how the tank was coming along was 01/06/2015, My first post was 03/10/2010, 10:58 AM. My heart literally hit the floor Peter cant wait to see the new build.

createyourown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2015, 03:31 PM   #1134
isdaboy
Registered Member

OMG! I am so sorry to read about this devastating loss! I just finished reading your slit thread and finally got to this half. This was not what I expected to read after reading the great journey from day one.
Again, so sorry to hear about this tragedy. Thank you fo sharing with us, and I hope that soon we will see and follow the rebirth of a new, more spectacular tank.
Take care.

isdaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2015, 07:58 PM   #1135
delmo
Registered Member

You have heard "Sorry for your loss" so often and for so long that I think it's time to say "hooray for your new beginning!" I think at this point 5 months later, that this thread should take a turn. Please update us with your new thoughts and new build Peter. And to all with thoughts of remorse, Peter is by now moving on. If you have ideas for a new build please, by all means, keep us informed. All the best Peter!

delmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2015, 07:42 AM   #1136
kgravity
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmo View Post
You have heard "Sorry for your loss" so often and for so long that I think it's time to say "hooray for your new beginning!" I think at this point 5 months later, that this thread should take a turn. Please update us with your new thoughts and new build Peter. And to all with thoughts of remorse, Peter is by now moving on. If you have ideas for a new build please, by all means, keep us informed. All the best Peter!
+1 Cant wait to see where it goes!

kgravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2015, 11:06 AM   #1137
Brian01
Registered Member

Oh man, I read this thread when I was just putting together my last build, and remember going "wish I could do that in my house" every few minutes till I just had to go away! Came back to RC after a long absence due to my own disaster, looking for ideas on my next build, and found this. Well, I agree with the last couple of posters (and others), it sounds like you are thinking about amazing us again, and I'm looking forward to it!

Brian01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2015, 11:31 PM   #1138
cbeitel
Registered Member

Peter- I have been off line for some time and accidently stumbled on your loss. Carry on my friend. You set the standard for husbandry. It will be good for everyone to see you come back. So many do not.

-Chip

Current Tank Info: You have too many tanks, says my wife
cbeitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2015, 12:46 AM   #1139
Lubeck
Registered Member

Wow what a complex story. I can't imagine.

Lubeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 05:26 PM   #1140
Ron99
Registered Member

Wow, It's been a couple years since I had a look at this thread due to sorting out a divorce and other big life changes and I'm shocked and saddened. I can't imagine spending years building such a beautiful environment and seeing it turn out like this. It's inspiring to see how you have been handling the situation Peter.

And as you move forward with a new build we should have a quick chat when you have time. I'm working on some interesting technology that might be cool to integrate into your system.

Ron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 06:40 PM   #1141
videsilva
Moved On

Juge ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
The short answer is no.

The long answer is definitely not.

I have been struggling with how to address this subject in this thread. ATM's response to me was ............ I've been sitting here for 10 mins trying to come up with a word or phrase that could describe their response........and all I can come up with is absurd. First they have no idea who I am or what kind of tank I have. They asked for documentation with pictures and technical information such as acrylic thickness etc. They informed me that the warranty for their tanks was two years unless they install the tank. They did install the tank but again they had no record. Their website says 5 years for tanks larger than 300 Gals and as I know this tank is larger than 1000 gals. Then they asked if the tank was shimmed and could I send pictures to prove it. The tank was shimmed to the custom made stand that they made in Las Vegas. I sent pictures.

Then, and this is where it gets really absurd, from my iPhone pics they determined that the tank had been hit because the panel blew in to the tank and not out. This was a blatant and unprofessional assessment that made no sense at all. The panel was blown out from the tank not in.

In the end they suggested that I should buy another tank from them and they might offer a discount.

So no, ATM will not honour their warranty ...........

Now this is important, I do NOT want to open up this discussion about ATM and their business practices. This community that has developed around this thread has avoided lowering the bar with critical debates about manufacturers that have been unprofessional and or unethical. If you can't find something good to say then just remain silent. I do not want to invite trolls to become part of this community or thread. This is NOT the legacy I want to leave with this build. WE, and I sincerely mean WE, created this wonderful example of a well managed captive marine environment. Lets keep that accomplishment positive for those that may use the information we generated over the last five years to improve the hobby.

Am I upset with ATM? Yes I am.This part of the journey has been extremely disturbing and depressing for me but that stops here with this post. I am not going to have ATM define me or this community's accomplishment. I am not going to discuss this aspect of the build anymore and I need all of you to help me do that. The high road is the better road in this case, especially if we are going to embark on Peter's Fish Tank 2.0.

Peter
I would let a judge define truth / lies !

videsilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 10:08 PM   #1142
Marcoss
Registered Member

Jesus Christ, I skimmed over both posts and I'm amazed with what you've created and saddened by what's happened. I hope all is well and that you are happy with starting a new tank or quitting altogether.

Marcoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2015, 01:45 AM   #1143
EllisJuan
Registered Member

I was just telling a new reefer about this build the other day and decided to stop by and see how things were progressing.

I am genuinely crushed.

Please build another tank Peter. Myself and so many thousands of other enjoyed sharing in your journey that most can only dream of taking.

Unread 10/05/2015, 08:55 AM   #1144
frasermcvie
Registered Member

sorry for your loss

sorry to hear about this terrible loss Peter I know how much you cared about your tank
good luck with future endeavour

frasermcvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2015, 04:32 AM   #1145
adddo
“Goodnight, tiny humans.”

Been absent for a while.. so sorry to read this..

I hope to see 2.0 soon tho.

//Bjarne
adddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2015, 03:07 PM   #1146
Newtybar
Registered Member

Just came across this awesome build. It's a shame that the end happened the way it did.

There's been a lack of updates since April, so I'm guessing there will be no 2.0?

Newtybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2015, 08:46 AM   #1147
blackcell
Registered Member

Hi Peter Aka nineball.. I never have a great feeling on ATM products.. I enjoy your posts and your video, I hope you have the great next build.. I feel extremely terrible and upset.. I pray that you have a better next build.. What happen to all the livestocks? Please check out
http://www.reynoldspolymer.com
They are the team that build our singapore resort world aquarium.. I feel you need the right people to do this build to last for a lifetime.. I hope to see you come back stronger next time.. God bless

blackcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2015, 11:30 AM   #1148
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcell View Post
http://www.reynoldspolymer.com
They are the team that build our singapore resort world aquarium.. I feel you need the right people to do this build to last for a lifetime.. I hope to see you come back stronger next time.. God bless
That's pretty serious stuff right there

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2015, 04:18 PM   #1149
Ricardo18
Registered Member

Good luck Peter with the new build.I am a customer of Reef Savvy (in Florida)..glass aquariums built extremely well.
My suggestion is to consider glass for your next (large) project.
Either way...BEST OF LUCK!!

Current Tank Info: 500 gallon display,650 system Lifereef Skimmer Ozone UV Apex Radion Genesis
Ricardo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2015, 04:53 AM   #1150
phreeflow
Registered Member

Any updates?

phreeflow is offline   Reply With Quote