Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/12/2017, 02:20 AM   #1
nowlan
Registered Member

Tunze 9001 - magnets fall off.

Hello Roger,

I bought a Tunze 9001 around years ago when they first came out.

I find the plastic magnet that attaches to the skimmer continually falls off. I think the prongs are just not quite right. Not sure if there was a known issue.

Has been held on previously using a zip tie through the magnet. Recently cleaned the skimmer, and used a rubber band which failed the other day.

Tempted to superglue the magnet to the skimmer to stop this from happening. Not sure what the deal is. I am not using the spacer thing that is in the box. The prongs look similiar.

Still an issue with microbubbles. The skimmer was pulling decent skim recently, but has a tendency to foam up behind the cup.

Oh well, just wanted to pass on the 'feedback' before trying superglue.

Anthony.

nowlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 07:50 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Hi Anthony,

Check the tabs that lock into the spacer from the body, if they are broken, this is the cause, otherwise the spacer has a defect and the holes are too wide. All spare parts are available and in stock.

Microbubbles will tend to be depth related, probably 18 months ago we started including a bubble trap foam that is inexpensive and readily available but usually once broken in this is not needed if the depth of submersion is set so the marked water line is the absolute maximum and this waterline is never more than 1" above the actual water line. Typically the least bubbles will come from a submersion where the waterline mark is 1/2" above the actual waterline and the air is as close to fully open as possible. When you restrict the air the water speed increases and more bubbles are ejected so work with depth first and accept that a small skimmer will skim wetter.

Foam behind the cup means the baffle plate under the cup is either pressed in too far, it sits on a ledge in the body, or it is upside down, it can also mean the skimmer is too deeply submerged.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 09:01 PM   #3
mkj
Registered Member

I have the same problem and the tabs that lock into the spacer from the body are there. only hold the skimmer for about a minute then skimmer falls off.

I might try silicone the magnet to body see if it hold.

mkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 07:53 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The best solution is to replace the body. If you are in Vancouver Canada and it was purchased recently I would contact Xenia about warranty replacement. The body is not a terribly expensive part.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 03/29/2018, 09:02 PM   #5
moze229
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
The best solution is to replace the body. If you are in Vancouver Canada and it was purchased recently I would contact Xenia about warranty replacement. The body is not a terribly expensive part.
Not to jump in Roger, but I have the same problem. I was considering just gluing (pvc glue) the spacer and magnet together, and then gluing that onto the body. (I have to use the spacer because my tank has a lip.) Do you see a problem with this? Do you think there is enough surface area on the magnet to hold? (The printed Tunze logo and other info on there may cause an issue with gluing.)

I realize the flexibility Tunze has given consumers on the lip vs. no lip tanks. These tabs are a nightmare, and I continue to read complaints about them. They frequently break and do not hold the skimmer level - it sags. I think a permanently mounted magnet to the body and offering a lip vs no lip body option is a better method.

"What don't kill you - make you more strong." - James Hetfield

Current Tank Info: 24 Aquapod w/120w LED Bridgelux 55 X 3 - Softies and LPS
moze229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2018, 08:52 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

You can glue it permanently with PVC/ABS cement or model cement.

Unread 05/01/2018, 07:19 AM   #7
meldog
Registered Member

I used gorilla super glue on it worked perfectly

Current Tank Info: 29 biocube
meldog is offline   Reply With Quote