Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2018, 06:13 AM   #1
coryjac0b
Registered Member

2 Part Dosing Spacing

I am just getting into 2-part dosing using BRS products. I can't remember where I read it, but I believe I read it was a good idea to not does the Alk and Calc solutions at the same time.

If that is true, what is a good recommendation for time in between dosings. Right now I have them dosing every 3 hours with a 20 minute space between them. Is that adequate?

coryjac0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 10:56 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

That is definitely adequate.

You just don't want them to mix and precipitate before they individually are mixed in the tank.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 01:03 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

If you are dosing into the main display, a minute or so probably will be more than enough, given reasonable flow. For a very, very large tank, you might need to wait longer. For my 29g systems, a few seconds was enough to make sure that the first supplement was mixed well. So I added one a few seconds after the other.

If you are dosing into a smaller body of water, like a sump, you might need to spread the doses out quite a bit more.

Unread 05/17/2018, 01:25 PM   #4
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

I just dose Calcium during the day and alk at night.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 02:35 PM   #5
coryjac0b
Registered Member

The tank is a 30g JBJ Rimless AIO. The "sump" area is where i am dosing into, right about the return pumps. So I imagine it gets mixed rather quickly.

Is there any benefit to dosing at different parts of the day, or less broken up. I am dosing 20ml over 24 hrs, every 3 hours I am dosing 2.5ml. Does it benefit me to dose more solution less times a day?

Does it benefit me to does at certain parts of the day also, lights out, lights on etc.?

Unread 05/17/2018, 02:48 PM   #6
homer1475
Registered Member

Best to dose in small doses round the clock.

The idea is stability, and small doses round the clock doesn't fluctuate the parameter as much as larger less frequent doses.

20 minutes is fine between ALK and CAL. I dose both supplements in the same place in my sump and space it out by 10 minutes.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 02:49 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

You should ideally dose at regular intervals over the day (24 hrs). It is not absolutely necessary but only benefits by not having large ( a relative term) fluctuation in dKH. You don't want to move dKH more than .5 at a time. Do you know what your dKH daily usage is?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 02:58 PM   #8
coryjac0b
Registered Member

I do not. The tank is fairly new. It's been up and running about 3-4 months, and I have only recently added a coral (small frag of GSP). The dKH was fairly low initially. Test two days ago it was 5.6 dkh. I did not have a chance to test yesterday, but will test tonight to see what the level is at.

Are corals the only consumers of alkalinity and calcium?

Unread 05/17/2018, 09:46 PM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

Dosing more frequently might help some touchy stony corals. Two of my soft coral tanks got 2-3 dKH at a shot, once a day, and they had more growth than I wanted.

Coralline algae and clams also can consume a lot of calcium and alkalinity. My soft coral tanks had a lot of coralline growth, thus the high consumption rate.

Unread 05/18/2018, 07:55 AM   #10
coryjac0b
Registered Member

My initial test (tuesday) had my dKH at 5.6, Calc was 500 and mag was 1650. I tested alk again last night and it was 7.7. To keep it from getting to high I dialed back the does to 70% of what I initially dosed and I'll test again this afternoon.

I know that as I add more coral and other livestock the consumption will increase. I suppose the only way to figure it out is to test.

That being said, are the Hanna checkers accurate enough to make their convenience worth it? Does anyone know?

I've thought about eventually investing in one of these new Apex Tridents, but that would require me to buy a new base unit, which would be an $1100 option with the trident. Maybe in the future if I breakdown the 120 FW to be a reef tank.

Unread 05/18/2018, 12:30 PM   #11
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

I love my Hanna checker for Alk. I heard the Cal one wasn't the best, I just use red sea for CA.

you should get your levels to where you want them and then wait 3 days, test again, figure out the dose you need to get levels back up and then divide by 3 for your daily dose.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2018, 10:33 PM   #12
bertoni
RC Mod

I don't think we actually know the accuracy limits of the Checkers, or any of our kits, all that well. I would not buy a Checker for accuracy, but they are convenient. The ULR Phosphorus model is handy if you're worried about the phosphate level and don't want to have to interpret very faint colors.

Unread 05/22/2018, 09:20 AM   #13
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguyy84 View Post
I just dose Calcium during the day and alk at night.
This is what I do, so basically 12 hours apart.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote