Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2018, 10:07 AM   #176
mitchrapp
Registered Member

Peter,

How has your experience been with your tinkeri pair? Do you have any videos of them? I bought a tinkeri pair that were supposedly caught as a pair. I've had them in qt for a few weeks now and most of the time they swim together, but then occasionally will act aggressively towards each other. Just trying to see if this is normal or if they are not really a pair.

mitchrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 10:10 AM   #177
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchrapp View Post
Peter,

How has your experience been with your tinkeri pair? Do you have any videos of them? I bought a tinkeri pair that were supposedly caught as a pair. I've had them in qt for a few weeks now and most of the time they swim together, but then occasionally will act aggressively towards each other. Just trying to see if this is normal or if they are not really a pair.
In my experience butterflies in general, even when paired, there is a bit of chasing. Unfortunately with my tinkeri pair, only one made it out of QT

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 10:31 AM   #178
mitchrapp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
In my experience butterflies in general, even when paired, there is a bit of chasing. Unfortunately with my tinkeri pair, only one made it out of QT
Oh no! Sorry to hear about that. From disease or fighting?

I guess with mine, I'll just have to wait and see.I'm hoping that it's just a space issue and once they make it to the DT it will be better.

mitchrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 11:40 AM   #179
pfan151
Registered Member

Anyone have any luck with a two copperbands? I have hand one in my display for about a year. A few months ago a LFS had a really small sickly looking one that they let me take for $10. Surprisingly, it has turned around and is now very healthy. Only problem is that it’s in a small 30g tank and is growing quickly. My only options are to try two in the display or sell it since it’s starting to look pretty out of place in the 30g

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 12:51 PM   #180
alton
Registered Member

Hey pfan, I have seen tanks with two cbb’s. When I tried it it didn’t work out. Maybe you can create separate section of your tank to see how they interacte?

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 03:18 PM   #181
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
Hey pfan, I have seen tanks with two cbb’s. When I tried it it didn’t work out. Maybe you can create separate section of your tank to see how they interacte?
Might not be worth trying for me. My tank is not that big so it probably wouldn’t end well. I’m sure I’ll be able to find a home for a healthy, well established CBB pretty easily.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 06:37 PM   #182
euod
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post

Sorry to hear about the Tinker. Did you ever get any redback butterflyfish?

euod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2018, 07:42 AM   #183
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Anyone have any luck with a two copperbands? I have hand one in my display for about a year. A few months ago a LFS had a really small sickly looking one that they let me take for $10. Surprisingly, it has turned around and is now very healthy. Only problem is that it’s in a small 30g tank and is growing quickly. My only options are to try two in the display or sell it since it’s starting to look pretty out of place in the 30g
Hi
I had a pair of Chelmon marginales. The small one was the first in tank. A few months later I put an big one also. The small one fights the big one for nearly a week. After that they swim together. Before I tested a marginales that was just a little bit bigger than the first one. That was not a good idea. Bigger one killed after 2 days.

If it possible for you catch the bigger one. Introduce the smaller one and put back the bigger one after a few weeks.

Greetings Torben

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2018, 07:42 PM   #184
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by euod View Post
Sorry to hear about the Tinker. Did you ever get any redback butterflyfish?
No, I haven't really been buying any new fish for a while now.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 05:12 AM   #185
OrionN
Moved on

Brought this thread back for more experiences in pairing Copperband Butterfly. I am trying to decide if I will attempt to pair my lone CBB with another one?
Please post your experiences, success and failure. TIA

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 05:45 AM   #186
MrsBugmaster
Registered Member

I have not experience with CBB, but I am currently trying to have a "pair" themed tank.

The plan is to have everything in pairs. I currently have 4 Pakistan Butterflies in QT. I got one from LSF, 2 from LA and one form DD. Of course the DD one is the only one not eating. Have had them for 6 days now. I am hoping to come out with a tri of these guys, or at least a pair. I fear the DD one will not survive though. They are all a little different in size. They are 3.5 to 4.5 " in size.

I also have in another 55 gal QT tank 5 small 2 1/2" Indian Vegabond (Chaetodon decussatus). Have had them for 3 days and all are eating great. I wanted a little bigger ones to start with but this was all that I could get at this time. I have been waiting for a few months now for larger ones but got tired of waiting and decided to try this size since so many of these were available. So far one of the 5, that I call the loner is, keeping to it's self and chases the other 4, which stay together in a group. I will see who pairs up and sell the rest.

I currently have a Mitratus Butterfly in my DT that is 12 years old so I don't think I will try to pair it up or even if it's possible due to it's age.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 170, my reef tank. 180 gal FOWLR tank
MrsBugmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 07:41 AM   #187
skiwez
Registered Member

I had a pair for alittle over 18 months worked out well until I had something come through and wipe out half the tank. Not exactly sure what it was since I didn't add anything for at least six months prior.

What seemed to work for me was to get two CBBs on the smaller side the larger of the two was maybe 3 inches while the smaller was in the 2 to 2.5 inch ranges. They were both eating well at the LFS in separate tanks. I added into the tank at the same time. They were also the largest additions at the time. my tank in 220 live rock with some simple LPS. There never seemed to be any real aggression. Occasionally during feeding time there would some chasing but nothing that last more than a few seconds. In that time they grew to at least 4 maybe 5 inches with some girth on them. The bigger one was definitely the dominant fish in the tank the other was always slightly smaller. Only other relevant thing I can think of is that they were the largest fish in the tank.

skiwez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 11:01 AM   #188
OrionN
Moved on

skiwez,
Did you think of them as a pair, or they just tolerate each other?

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 05/21/2018, 03:31 PM   #189
skiwez
Registered Member

They definitely paired up...usually swam together with the smaller one usually slightly behind and below the larger one. It was actually pretty cool to watch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Unread 05/21/2018, 03:36 PM   #190
OrionN
Moved on

I will try to get a pair.

Unread 05/21/2018, 03:39 PM   #191
skiwez
Registered Member

I think I got lucky with mine and really enjoyed watching the interaction. Since I've rebooted the tank I only have a single copperband didn't think lightening would strike twice.

You should give it a try.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Unread 09/30/2018, 03:44 PM   #192
MrsBugmaster
Registered Member

Looking for some advice please.
I am trying to create a pair themed tank. I got 5 Indian Vegabond Butterflies and put them in my qt. They were all small at about 1 1/2 inches but vary slightly in size. With-in two weeks two of them died. ( they just won't eat) After qt I put the remaining 3 is a 55 grow out tank. Two of them are same size and one is slight smaller. The smaller one has always chased the other two from day one. Fast forward 4 1/2 months later; the smaller one is still slightly smaller than the other two and continues to chase the other two bigger ones. Several times I check on them a couple hours after lights out and the smaller one is usually alone on opposite side of tank in a pvc cave, but sometimes is with the other two in a group. The bigger ones are always with each other and never just one of them with the smaller one. I am wanting to put them in my DT now so I can free up space in that tank for something else. They are still small at maybe a little over 2 inches. Not sure what size they form pairs. Not sure if the two bigger ones are a pair or both females since they are usually together and don't chase each other. Is the smaller one maybe a male and that's why it is always chasing the other two? Should I put all three in DT and see how it plays out? And remove one if needed. Or just add the two bigger ones? DT is 180 gal.

Unread 10/03/2018, 05:51 AM   #193
MrsBugmaster
Registered Member

Nothing but the sounds of crickets in here!

Unread 10/04/2018, 03:48 AM   #194
Big E
Registered Member

Vagabonds don't swim in groups in the wild..........they are seen in pairs

At this point you need to take one of them out and mix/match to see which two will bond together.

It's up to you which two you want to try first. Whichever one you take out I'd keep until you're sure you have a pair. I'd probably try the two larger that seem to get along. The smaller seems more aggressive about driving the other two away maybe defeding a feeding ground.......does he get more aggressive when you are feeding them?

It may take a few months to get this figured out right for the long term.
I wouldn't put them into the display until you're sure you have a pair that get along for a few months alone.

https://www.fishbase.de/summary/Chae...agabundus.html

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed

Last edited by Big E; 10/04/2018 at 03:54 AM.
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2018, 05:13 AM   #195
OrionN
Moved on

I tried but was not successful with CBB.

Unread 10/04/2018, 06:37 AM   #196
MrsBugmaster
Registered Member

@ Big E, there is no aggression during feeding. That is one of the times they all get along nicely. I am trying to form a pair not a group but read on here that the best way to do that was adding a group and letting them sort it out for themselves. So that is what I was trying to do. I will remove the smaller one and see how that goes. I knew going into this that it will take several months if not a year since starting out with all small ones. I have 5 qt/grow out tanks so space in not a problem. Thanks

Unread 10/05/2018, 03:01 AM   #197
Big E
Registered Member

I agree that your initial plan seems fine, but you asked about putting all three in the display and that's a mistake you would end up regretting.

Right now you're in the next phase..........you've seen the interaction between them and this gives you a better idea how to proceed.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote