Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2018, 10:58 AM   #1
chaaban
Registered Member

Angry New House = Tank Restart (HELP)

Hoping to get some advice, just moved to my new house so I decided to restart my aquarium as I neglected it a bit before.

Heres what it looked like before the move:

So now, after cleaning everything and allowing it all to dry for few weeks, rock included (sand was thrown out and replaced with new ReefFlakes brand sand). the next step, I filled the tank up with RODI at 0TDS, added my reef crystals salt and started ghost feeding a tiny pinch of pellets every day.

I am now on day 25 of cycling and on day 20 I noticed the water was cloudy, almost like white clouds rolling around in the tank. I then put filter floss and carbon/GFO mix in my canister filters inside the sump. Water began to clear up surprisingly quick. Day 24 it started happening again so I replaced the media in the canisters and it got better last night.... this morning I can see its happening again.....

Whats going on? What did I do wrong? What should I do to fix this? Im hoping my cycle is done because I was out of town and couldn't test to determine if its cycled

Thanks for all the help!!

chaaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 12:42 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?
New tanks are often cloudy from bacterial blooms,etc...it will go away in time..

30 days is usually about the min to cycle a tank from dry with just ghost feedings so its likely about ready.. Parameters requested above will confirm that..
Usually diatom growth happens about the same time if you have had the lights on..

Unread 10/21/2018, 01:06 PM   #3
chaaban
Registered Member

I’m going to buy a new test kit now before I confirm but I did test ammonia last night with my expired kit and it was at 0. Lights were on yes.

Will reply back with Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate readings when I return from the LFS with the new test kit.

Unread 10/21/2018, 01:17 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

That could just be a bit of a bacterial bloom. I would ignore it. It should fade on its own. I might drop back on the ghost feeding to help reduce the food input level a bit, but that probably isn't necessary. New tanks often go through various microbial blooms when getting started.

Unread 10/21/2018, 02:24 PM   #5
chaaban
Registered Member

I dont remember it doing this the first time which is why I thought id ask. At any rate, if this all looks good to you, would it be ok to add some CUC yet? Is it ok to leave carbon/GFO, floss in canisters for now?

Unread 10/21/2018, 02:46 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

I think some CUC animals would be fine. I personally would only add a snail or two, but the tank is fine for CUC and fish, in my opinion.

Unread 10/21/2018, 05:01 PM   #7
hegeh
Registered Member

Imo its ready for 50% water change, check the parameter again before LS can be add

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hegeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 05:09 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

Some water changes would be a fine idea if there was ever much decay in the system. One 50% change would work, or a series of smaller changes, whichever is more convenient.

Unread 10/21/2018, 06:44 PM   #9
chaaban
Registered Member

Thanks so much for all the replies!! I will do a 50% water change or 2 x 25% and add a couple snails/crabs.

My clown fish pair are on their last 72 hours of Tank Transfer Method QT, just incas! So they will go in soon after!

Unread 10/21/2018, 07:40 PM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

Sounds like good progress!

Unread 10/22/2018, 07:37 PM   #11
chaaban
Registered Member

Update:

After paying closer attention, I’ve noticed that the water is clear in the morning and gradually gets cloudier throughout the day.... still normal? I’m assuming it’s a combination of the lights and the dead material from the reused rock?

Last edited by chaaban; 10/22/2018 at 07:52 PM.
Unread 10/22/2018, 09:17 PM   #12
bertoni
RC Mod

I'd guess that the cloud might be photosynthetically enabled. I still wouldn't worry, personally. Such blooms can take a while to go away, though.

Unread 10/22/2018, 11:53 PM   #13
chaaban
Registered Member

Ok, I’ll wait it out... I still haven’t done the water change yet but I will be doing it in the next couple days.

Unread 10/26/2018, 09:43 PM   #14
chaaban
Registered Member

Update:

I did a 25 gallon water change (tank is 93G, excluding the sump/refugium) Before I did the water change I took a picture in the middle of the day and again the same pic at night before the lights went out:

1pm:

10pm:

Now, after the water change, I still see the white clouds forming during the day, however I did notice that the algae on the sand bed is not forming as dark as before.

Whats my next step? My clown fish pair are ready to be transferred into the DT after their last 72 hours of Tank Transfer Method QT.

Unread 10/26/2018, 09:50 PM   #15
bertoni
RC Mod

There are probably some mineralized nutrients left in the water that the water changes are removing, or even organics not yet mineralized. As long as the ammonia has been zero for a week, I think adding the clownfish would be fine.

Unread 10/26/2018, 10:00 PM   #16
chaaban
Registered Member

shoot, I wish I tested ammonia everyday for a week to confirm that! Any other way to be certain? I did test it tonight after ghost feeding earlier today. Ammonia was at 0.

Unread 10/26/2018, 10:01 PM   #17
bertoni
RC Mod

How often have you been measuring, and when was the last non-zero reading?

Unread 10/26/2018, 10:04 PM   #18
chaaban
Registered Member

Last time I measured, I took pictures and posted hers. And again tonight. The tank has been running for approx 32 days so I don’t think testing was necessary. Before buying the new test kit, I really didn’t test, just ghost fed.

I appreciate the quick response!!

Unread 10/26/2018, 10:30 PM   #19
bertoni
RC Mod

I suspect that the tank is fine for clownfish. I wouldn't worry.

Unread 10/27/2018, 07:28 AM   #20
chaaban
Registered Member

Sweet thanks again!

Unread 10/27/2018, 01:01 PM   #21
bertoni
RC Mod

You're welcome.

Unread 11/01/2018, 12:52 PM   #22
clevername
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
That could just be a bit of a bacterial bloom. I would ignore it. It should fade on its own. I might drop back on the ghost feeding to help reduce the food input level a bit, but that probably isn't necessary. New tanks often go through various microbial blooms when getting started.
+1 i vote this

clevername is offline   Reply With Quote