Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2017, 03:51 PM   #1
Jon532
Registered Member

Water cloudy after water change

Ok just as the title says. Last night did a large water change on my 120 gallon. Added 60 gal of new water with Probiotic salt.... the mix was clear at the time I added it around 9:30 last night. Just got home from work and the tank is super cloudy.
The sand bed was not stirred during the change... never had this issue before with AF however this is the largest single water change I've done. Any ideas why this is happening?

I'll add a couple pics however the pics don't really show the cloudiness great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 08:01 PM   #2
Anirban
Registered Member

I think this is bacterial bloom caused by probiotic bacteria from the salt. Just wait for couple of days it should clear up slowly.

Anirban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 08:02 PM   #3
jpas
Registered Member

A 60% water change with the probiotic salt is way too much. The recommended amount is 10 to 15%.

I did a 20% w/c when I was converting to AF without any issues. I guess the salt contains the bacteria and carbon. You are having a bacteria bloom. Don't dose and more bacteria for a couple of days and it should clear up. Also be sure to point your power heads toward the water surface to get as much oxygen into the tank.

jpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 08:23 PM   #4
Jon532
Registered Member

Ok this is what I was thinking it was due to so much new bacteria being added at once. Hopefully that's it however I just tested parameters to make sure everything was ok.... everything was within range except Mag which was off the charts high using Red Sea kits..... could the bloom be throwing off the results or do I have an issue. ( tested twice same result)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 09:21 PM   #5
Anirban
Registered Member

I will say dont do anything it will complicate the issue. Just wait and as Jpas suggested keep good circulation in the tank. It should clear up within next 48 hours. You added too much bacteria which resulted in bacterial bloom. Just feed the fishes and dont add any carbon source or new bacteria in the system.

Anirban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2017, 03:46 AM   #6
Aquaforest
RC Sponsor

Yes, as Anirban says.
Probiotic Reef salt contains probiotic bacteria that's why sometimes when your nitrate level is higher than 0 bacteria starts to work and water become cloudy.

We do not recommend to make that big water changes when you switch to new salt - especially probiotic what contains bacteria.

Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 11:05 PM   #7
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaforest View Post
Yes, as Anirban says.
Probiotic Reef salt contains probiotic bacteria that's why sometimes when your nitrate level is higher than 0 bacteria starts to work and water become cloudy.

We do not recommend to make that big water changes when you switch to new salt - especially probiotic what contains bacteria.
Yes,
Bacteria with a carbon source too.

Use Regular AF reef salt for a large water change in my opinion. You can't measure how much carbon you dosed with a salt mix! Not to mention a large water change with a carbon salt mix.

If your do and large water change with AF Probotic salt you can't measure how much goodies just got put in like using Pro Bio s and NP Pro.

Made the same mistake many years ago with TM Bioactif salt and wont make that same mistake again. I hope AF is more forgiving to OP.

My TM mistake took 3 long heartbreaking months to clear up the damage.

I take full responsibility. I didn't reed TM instructions

Regards, GoVols

PS: AF really needs to come through with a YouTube series explaining your large product line and how to use it. You said it was already in the works months ago. Now you refuse to update us on that thread even though it's been asked to give us an update on making the series. Very frustrating...

Current Tank Info: 2013-RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Kessil AP700 with S-Series led bar / Bubble King 160 skimmer / GEO 2-Stage Cal Reactor with GLA dual-stage regulator / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's

Last edited by GoVols; 02/04/2017 at 11:25 PM.
GoVols is offline   Reply With Quote