Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/27/2011, 01:54 PM   #51
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

Where growth is stunted there is a biological reason -- it's not because the universe fairy waves her magic wand when she sees a hippo tang in a 75. One reason a fish's growth can be stunted is that stress produces chemicals in the blood that inhibit growth hormone. I don't think I buy the theory that GH excreted into the water in a closed system inhibits the fish's production of GH's. If that were the case, it seems like all of our fishes would demonstrate some level of growth stunting.

But it doesn't matter to me what causes it - stunting for an animal does not usually equal good health.

So long, & thanks for all the fish!

Current Tank Info: Pairs: flame angels, cherub angels, Red Sea mimic blennies, yellow fin fairy wrasses, clowns, mandarins, blackcap basslets, shrimp gobies, damsels, dispar anthias, yellow clown gobies, threadfin cardinals --- Tanks: 100g reef, 2 x 30g refugiums
Angel*Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2011, 02:08 PM   #52
MelloW33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddrtrex View Post
They get bigger then a 6 inches in captivity -- if given the correct environment.
I tried to get a small regal tang for my 125 a couple months ago and my LFS doesn't have any UNDER 6".

Unread 04/27/2011, 02:18 PM   #53
cromedogg33
Registered Member

Add the yellow 2nd, yes they will co-exist. I currently have both in my 180 and are thriving.

Don't tell anyone theres also 2 other tangs in there though.

Current Tank Info: 180G in-wall, 3x 250w MH radiums on M80 ballasts, Cree LED actinics, Deltec TC2560, Bubble Magus Doser, 4x Vortech Mp40, Dart return, Neptune Apex
cromedogg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2011, 10:08 PM   #54
justin serve
Registered Member

If she was stressed she would get ICH and all that good stuff and what's half of 12 it's 6 and I get exallent water flow and a back up source as well.

justin serve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2011, 10:21 PM   #55
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

So you have ich in your system?

Current Tank Info: Pairs: flame angels, cherub angels, Red Sea mimic blennies, yellow fin fairy wrasses, clowns, mandarins, blackcap basslets, shrimp gobies, damsels, dispar anthias, yellow clown gobies, threadfin cardinals --- Tanks: 100g reef, 2 x 30g refugiums
Unread 04/27/2011, 10:38 PM   #56
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin serve View Post
If she was stressed she would get ICH and all that good stuff and what's half of 12 it's 6 and I get exallent water flow and a back up source as well.
If there isn't Ick present in your system, and not already "on" the fish, it just won't pop up out of nowhere.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2011, 07:16 AM   #57
Digitalelectric
Registered Member

I keep a hippo in my 20 gal nano Granted he's an inch long and its my QT tank.

Seriously though people are shouting about max size as if tang owners are going out and purchasing full grown Naso's, hippos, etc and putting those in their 75's. It takes more than a few weeks for a 1-3 inch specimen to reach full maturity or even puberty...err..the fish equivalent. Don't just flame someone for having a 3 inch regal in a "small" system without all of the facts. For instance they may be in the middle of setting up a larger tank. Or they may have a reef club buddy that will gladly take the mature tang off of their hands.

Now if someone brings home a 6 inch tang and sticks it in their 55 then thats bad LFS practice...which would NEVER happen ever ever...

Digitalelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2011, 08:02 AM   #58
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbickers85 View Post
I keep a hippo in my 20 gal nano Granted he's an inch long and its my QT tank.

Seriously though people are shouting about max size as if tang owners are going out and purchasing full grown Naso's, hippos, etc and putting those in their 75's. It takes more than a few weeks for a 1-3 inch specimen to reach full maturity or even puberty...err..the fish equivalent. Don't just flame someone for having a 3 inch regal in a "small" system without all of the facts. For instance they may be in the middle of setting up a larger tank. Or they may have a reef club buddy that will gladly take the mature tang off of their hands.

Now if someone brings home a 6 inch tang and sticks it in their 55 then thats bad LFS practice...which would NEVER happen ever ever...
I wish I was so optimistic. On this board saying you have a hippo in a 75 but you'll be upgrading in a year is sort of like saying it's in the mail. lol There are just some fish that should be left in the ocean. So many get too big for our biggest tanks. People just don't seem to be able to visualize what these fish will be like even if they get a 400g -and seriously how many of us ever get such a big tank?

My LFS has some big tangs - like 9 in and they are in a very long winding 4000 g tank and it looks about right. Another store has a long L shaped 400g and with the same thing 8-9 in unicorn tang. It makes the tank look small and the fish look cramped. it would be one of the most spectacular tanks I've ever seen if they would just get that poor tang out of there.

I didn't have time to hunt through a bunch of videos, so this is not the perfect example.
Buying these huge fish is so incredibly shortsighted

How sad is this video:

Unread 04/28/2011, 08:07 AM   #59
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

In case anyone is not aware, that is not the normal healthy demeanor for that fish. It is truly very hard to watch.

Unread 04/28/2011, 08:17 AM   #60
hvacman250
Registered Member

It's no different than someone tying a dog to a tree or leaving them in a crate 8 hours while their at work. Is it right? Nope. But it's their pet, so what can you/I really do?

People will always tie dogs to trees, people will always put big fish in little tanks. I think 90% of people know that a specific tang will get too big for their tank; they just don't care.

Nothing anybody says will change their mind.

Current Tank Info: 220 in-wall reef, clownfish breeding/growout system, 20L coral QT and 29 fish QT
hvacman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2011, 08:29 AM   #61
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

I partially disagree. I bought a tiny sailfin tang once about 12 years ago and would never do it again because education and maturity happened. I remember vaguely knowing it would get big, thinking well I'll upgrade later and having not even a slight idea of the fish's swimming needs. I had no thought as to how this big fish would get along with smaller tank mates.

I did feel a little guilty somewhere deep down, but ignoring that was easier to do because I really didn't have a full understanding of the factors involved. If someone had smacked me in the face with the facts, I never would have bought that fish.

But you're right some people just won't ever understand or don't care at all. But I think there are plenty who really care but just need to be educated.

Unread 04/28/2011, 08:33 AM   #62
MelloW33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacman250 View Post
It's no different than someone tying a dog to a tree or leaving them in a crate 8 hours while their at work. Is it right? Nope. But it's their pet, so what can you/I really do?

People will always tie dogs to trees, people will always put big fish in little tanks. I think 90% of people know that a specific tang will get too big for their tank; they just don't care.

Nothing anybody says will change their mind.
This is way different than someone putting their dog in a crate for 8 hours. Once you get home, you let the dog out for the other 16 hours of the day. I don't think anyone puts their tang in a larger tank for 16 hours a day.

Unread 04/28/2011, 08:36 AM   #63
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

No, it's the same for the point he was making. He was saying you can't tell people they are being cruel to their pets - he wasn't saying a dog on chain = a tang in a 40g.

Unread 02/21/2014, 03:19 PM   #64
tommyphones
Registered Member

I added a yellow belly hippo in my 180. I already had 2 hippos in the tank all about 4 inches. They got along well for 2 weeks. Now the original 2 are chasing and nip the new one. Any suggestions?

tommyphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2014, 03:58 PM   #65
Riglin
Registered Member

I used to have a Yellow, Hippo & Purple all very happy together in a 180 gallon tank. As others have said hippos can get big, ~ 1 foot kind of big. You'll want a tank of the 72" variety for this fish.

Or... like most of us... you'll just buy the fish anyway and buy a bigger tank for it when it grows. You deny it now... but I can't wait for the pics :P

Riglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 05:48 PM   #66
Mimmicman01
Registered Member

I had my salfin for 4yrs looks happy and healthy 90g

Mimmicman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 06:34 PM   #67
Joe0813
Registered Member

tank is to small for a hippo IMO

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote