Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/02/2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Bent
I got nothin'

Automatically cut off circuits on generator startup

This is a question that's decently related to aquariums, but it's something I can apply to my entire house. I've always wondered if this is possible.

Can you pick and choose what circuits in the house you want to run off of a standby generator?

For instance. Say you didn't want the hot water heater functional during an outage. The power would go off, the generator would kick in 10 seconds later and flip all the home circuits back on. Is there any way to tell it to exclude the circuit the hot water heater is on?

This would be nice because we as reefers with standbys could pick and choose what systems we want running on the tanks during an outage. It would be one more piece of mind to know that it's all handled when you are on vacation and get the "line power loss" text from your generator.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2015, 12:52 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

That is very easy to accomplish using a sub panel. Just add a sub panel and move the circuits to the sub panel that you want the generator to power. Then the backup generator gets wired to the sub panel.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2015, 12:55 PM   #3
KStatefan
Registered Member

Most standby generators are set up this way unless the generator is big enough to power the whole panel.

KStatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2015, 12:59 PM   #4
ericarenee
Registered Member

Yes

The way it works is there is a Load transfer switch . You move the breakers that you want the generator to run into that box . when the power goes off it will detect start generator then transfer the load from to the breakers you have moved to there. ....
There are several ways of doing this . The above is how i did ours...With the except mine is a Manual box.. i have to start generator plug it in then flip the transfer switch... its kinda like A B Splitter box for a old tv / vcr setup..
The electronic ones do load balancing and can switch one breaker on at a time and so on......

they run from 200- to 600 dollars... Mine was free from a electrical contractor friend i think a 60.00 box...

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2015, 01:00 PM   #5
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
That is very easy to accomplish using a sub panel. Just add a sub panel and move the circuits to the sub panel that you want the generator to power. Then the backup generator gets wired to the sub panel.
You beat me...

mine is manual.

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
Unread 08/02/2015, 01:04 PM   #6
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStatefan View Post
Most standby generators are set up this way unless the generator is big enough to power the whole panel.
even if they can power the whole panel they need a mains switch panel . Some commercial boxes do have this built in.

Unread 08/03/2015, 02:34 AM   #7
mmn
Registered Member

Not optimal, but what I do is:
1) throw the main breaker to the pole
2) throw any dedicated high amp ckts such as water heater, a/c, oven, pool pump
3) turn off or unplug other non-essential appliances
4) run a 220 cord from the gen to the dryer outlet
5) start gen

125g DT, Jebao DC9000, BA drain, 55g sump, Mixing: 2x32g Brutes, Panworld 30PX, 20l QT, RLSS R6I skimmer, 3 x Kessil A360WE, Neptune Apex.

Current Tank Info: 2 clowns, 2 blue-green chromis, 2 Duncans and 2 GSPs
mmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2015, 05:08 AM   #8
Skydivingcat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmn View Post
Not optimal,
or safe

Skydivingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2015, 06:05 AM   #9
fishgate
Registered Member

Lemme get my popcorn! Generator posts typically run 5-10 pages here.

I'll add my 2 cents.

Running a generator through a drier plug works but the problem is it can also backfeed onto the power grid possibly electrocuting a lineman fixing power lines. You would be charged with manslaughter if this happened.

A transfer switch of some sort is what you need. Either the remote switch as mentioned here or one that feeds your entire panel and you pick and choose what circuits you want during generator usage. All "real" generator transfer switches have safety interconnects that don't allow power to backfeed to the grid while running on generator power. These switch run around $1000 installed.

120g in-wall, 40B Sump, PC 54wx4, Jabao DC-6000 (full siphon), future seahorse t

Current Tank Info: 125g, 120g, 2x40b sumps, ATI 4x80 T5HO
fishgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2015, 07:26 AM   #10
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgate View Post
Lemme get my popcorn! Generator posts typically run 5-10 pages here.

I'll add my 2 cents.

Running a generator through a drier plug works but the problem is it can also backfeed onto the power grid possibly electrocuting a lineman fixing power lines. You would be charged with manslaughter if this happened.

A transfer switch of some sort is what you need. Either the remote switch as mentioned here or one that feeds your entire panel and you pick and choose what circuits you want during generator usage. All "real" generator transfer switches have safety interconnects that don't allow power to backfeed to the grid while running on generator power. These switch run around $1000 installed.
Not if you throw the Main.... The grid is disconnected from the house....

Unread 08/03/2015, 07:43 AM   #11
Breadman03
New Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
Not if you throw the Main.... The grid is disconnected from the house....

There's a pretty inexpensive plate that fits onto your circuit panel that only allows the main or a dedicated breaker for the generator to be on. I can't remember the name at the moment, but found it originally looking for transfer switches.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2015, 07:47 AM   #12
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
There's a pretty inexpensive plate that fits onto your circuit panel that only allows the main or a dedicated breaker for the generator to be on. I can't remember the name at the moment, but found it originally looking for transfer switches.
Yes depends on the panel box type and brand.

Unread 08/03/2015, 07:50 AM   #13
KStatefan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post

Unread 08/03/2015, 07:57 AM   #14
Bent
I got nothin'

I have mine run through a transfer switch that came with the generac. Its a big unit, and we just ran it to the entire circuit breaker. It takes 10 seconds when the line power goes out to switch to the generator, which runs on natural gas. So what Im trying to accomplish here is to decrease the load on the generator. The more the load, the more gas it uses and the higher the gas bill is.

So during an outage I really want to just be able to pick and choose what comes on in the house. So i think the proper thing to do would be to install a sub panel with each circuit on a battery backup. Then it will be seamless with those circuits.

Bah, my next house Im realy going to plan all this crap better.

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Unread 08/03/2015, 08:06 AM   #15
KStatefan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
I have mine run through a transfer switch that came with the generac. Its a big unit, and we just ran it to the entire circuit breaker. It takes 10 seconds when the line power goes out to switch to the generator, which runs on natural gas. So what Im trying to accomplish here is to decrease the load on the generator. The more the load, the more gas it uses and the higher the gas bill is.

So during an outage I really want to just be able to pick and choose what comes on in the house. So i think the proper thing to do would be to install a sub panel with each circuit on a battery backup. Then it will be seamless with those circuits.

Bah, my next house Im realy going to plan all this crap better.
A battery backup for the ten seconds it takes the generator to start?

Unread 08/03/2015, 10:10 AM   #16
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStatefan View Post
A battery backup for the ten seconds it takes the generator to start?
yes. that way the switch will be seamless.

Unread 08/03/2015, 10:29 AM   #17
Shawn O
Registered Member

Aside from your reef equipment, you could probably even wire up a single outlet in each room to this sub-panel so that the whole house has minimal power usage and essentials are still usable. Just the basics; alarm clocks, table lamps, TV/cable box and refrigerator would be on my list (oil or gas furnace in colder climates as well).

Current Tank Info: 55gal tank, sumpless, ReefOctopus Classic 90, Twin bulb T5.
Shawn O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2015, 10:45 AM   #18
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn O View Post
Aside from your reef equipment, you could probably even wire up a single outlet in each room to this sub-panel so that the whole house has minimal power usage and essentials are still usable. Just the basics; alarm clocks, table lamps, TV/cable box and refrigerator would be on my list (oil or gas furnace in colder climates as well).
That's the idea I was having when I made this thread.

Next house on backup generator that's exactly what I'm going to do. I may even paint the generator outlets a different color.

Unread 08/03/2015, 11:01 AM   #19
KStatefan
Registered Member

I guess I do not see the benefit of changing

Unread 08/03/2015, 11:12 AM   #20
Shawn O
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
That's the idea I was having when I made this thread.

Next house on backup generator that's exactly what I'm going to do. I may even paint the generator outlets a different color.
No need to, Bent. You can buy red outlets, which would definitely make them recognizable from the others.

Current Tank Info: 55gal tank, sumpless, ReefOctopus Classic 90, Twin bulb T5.
Shawn O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2015, 03:02 PM   #21
Bent
I got nothin'

^nice!

Do want.