Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/14/2011, 12:08 PM   #76
110galreef
Registered Member

Ok, a little confused here:

What app to get for the Apxs and using an android based phone. Want the widget and to be able to turn stuff off & on as well as view status.

It seems many run aquanotes i think, that is the software for AC JR or ACIII right? same one for android?

Unread 06/14/2011, 02:06 PM   #77
longiotti
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110galreef View Post
Ok, a little confused here:

What app to get for the Apxs and using an android based phone. Want the widget and to be able to turn stuff off & on as well as view status.

It seems many run aquanotes i think, that is the software for AC JR or ACIII right? same one for android?
I will try and take this one.
if you have an APEX system and an adroid phone, go to market place and you are going to watn the Apex App that is made by HeneryH
then you go into the settings of the app and set your prefrences.
Title
URL for the controler
user name
password
etc

then you add the widget on the home page. you do not access the display info from where you launch the app.

so hold your finger where you want it on the home page and then selext Android widgets then select if you want the tall or short one. that will dispay the widget with the stats of your tank. If you want to expand it just tap on the widget. if you have questions let me know. I did this trial and error and got it going. this is they coolest thing ever, by the way. this was one of the larger selling points to getting android over Iphone. widgets and neat!

I am running an AC Jr so I have to use the ACSerial2Web app. It works great. I am going to donate to both authors right now.
if anyone else has any questoins let me know. I will try and answer them. I know nothing about the internal workings of these. just a little experience with the use of the apps and the aqua controllers.

I am running this on a Motorola Droid X2

longiotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2011, 02:25 PM   #78
rancoo
Registered Member

Marine fishmates & pocket reef are both good for iPhone at least

rancoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2011, 09:22 AM   #79
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longiotti View Post
I will try and take this one.
if you have an APEX system and an adroid phone, go to market place and you are going to watn the Apex App that is made by HeneryH
then you go into the settings of the app and set your prefrences.
Title
URL for the controler
user name
password
etc

then you add the widget on the home page. you do not access the display info from where you launch the app.

so hold your finger where you want it on the home page and then selext Android widgets then select if you want the tall or short one. that will dispay the widget with the stats of your tank. If you want to expand it just tap on the widget. if you have questions let me know. I did this trial and error and got it going. this is they coolest thing ever, by the way. this was one of the larger selling points to getting android over Iphone. widgets and neat!

I am running an AC Jr so I have to use the ACSerial2Web app. It works great. I am going to donate to both authors right now.
if anyone else has any questoins let me know. I will try and answer them. I know nothing about the internal workings of these. just a little experience with the use of the apps and the aqua controllers.

I am running this on a Motorola Droid X2
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
You can see all the outlets as well once in the app & turn them on & off as well right?

Unread 06/15/2011, 09:28 AM   #80
longiotti
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
You can see all the outlets as well once in the app & turn them on & off as well right?
yes. I am telling you. it is sweet!
remember you will need to set up port forwarding and get your external IP if you have not already.
if you can check the apex from a website from out side you should be all set.

Last edited by longiotti; 06/15/2011 at 09:41 AM.
Unread 06/16/2011, 02:31 PM   #81
Bonvivant
Registered Member

Are there any Android reef apps?

Current Tank Info: Nothing right now.
Bonvivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2011, 12:19 PM   #82
dkerns06
Registered Member

I just did a search on the android market and the only thing I really saw was a couple apps for a few reef forums, my mobile reef which is a controller for digital aquatics reefkeeper, and my aquarium logger which allows u to log livestock, equipment, and "every parameter that he could find test kits for".

dkerns06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2011, 12:45 PM   #83
dkerns06
Registered Member

The guy that makes my reef logger might give me a free copy to review so I'm going to check it out and post up a nice review of all the feature for everyone. Looks promising though.

Unread 06/18/2011, 02:25 PM   #84
dkerns06
Registered Member

Hey if anyone has the coral magazine for ipod can u put up feedback to get them to put out an app for android?

Unread 06/28/2011, 06:06 PM   #85
110galreef
Registered Member

How do i get the url for my android phone for the apex app

Unread 06/28/2011, 08:46 PM   #86
longiotti
Registered Member

Not sure if I know what you mean. You need the external IP address of you modem. Go to ipchicken.com then you put that IP with the port that you programed in the port forwarding in you switch.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Unread 06/29/2011, 07:35 AM   #87
110galreef
Registered Member

When I go to setup the widget:
"Title for this controller" : Apex
"URL for this controler" : ???? got a 62.24.xx.xx number...this seem correct
username for this controller: assume what i use when logging in from computer
"password for this controller": assume what i use when logging in from computer
"widget time update interval in mins": 10
"when pruning data how many days to keep":7

Well, i tried the IP address of my aquacontroler & it didn't work. I also did the IP check as you suggested and that address didn't work either? I have a wireless router for the house. The APEX is hard wired to the wireless router. does that have anything to do with it?

Unread 06/29/2011, 08:12 AM   #88
longiotti
Registered Member

Quote:
When I go to setup the widget:
"Title for this controller" : Apex
"URL for this controler" : ???? got a 62.24.xx.xx number...this seem correct

Well, i tried the IP address of my aquacontroler & it didn't work. I also did the IP check as you suggested and that address didn't work either? I have a wireless router for the house. The APEX is hard wired to the wireless router. does that have anything to do with it?
this is how mine is set up
"Title for this controller" : The Reef
"URL for this controler" : the external IP of your modem followed by the Port that is forwarded to your Apex system example: 127.0.0.1:8080 "see below"

I am trying to remember what port the Apex uses. I think it is 8080 or 1080. you can use any port you want though as long as you match them up in your router.
see link I do not feel like typing it all out.
http://portforward.com/help/portforwarding.htm

how you set up port forwarding on each brand router is differnet.
if you do a google search on how to do it on your router it will walk you through it.

let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification.

Unread 06/29/2011, 08:14 AM   #89
110galreef
Registered Member

Ok, Apex uses 80 for the port,

so say the IP address is 65.24.25.98
then do i enter: 65.24.25.9880 in the url section?

Unread 06/29/2011, 08:24 AM   #90
110galreef
Registered Member

Ok, I have:
aqua controller IP, 192.168.x.xxx
an netmask IP, 255.255.xxx.x
a gateway IP, 192.xxx.x.x
a primary DNS server IP 209.18.xx.xx
a secondary DNS IP 209.18.xx.xx

and an IP address when i pulled from my home computer which was like 65.24.xx.xx

Which do I use??

Unread 06/29/2011, 08:28 AM   #91
longiotti
Registered Member

Quote:
I am terrible at trying to explain things but I will try
when you go to IPchicken that is your external IP
that is what the internet sees you "house" or "home Network" as.
think of your "house" as a little internet. you have your own IP address assignements. it might help if you think of IP addresses af phone #s. if ou have 7 diget phone numbers you can only have so many until you run out, right? same with IP addresses. so there is a way to seperate the internet "WAN" (wide area network) and your house network "LAN" "local area network" still with me?
so you (anyone) goes to the store and buys a wireless or standard router. depending on brand the odds are you router that you bought is going to be IP of 192.168.1.1.
so now there are millions of people with this same address. But that is ok because that is on your LAN. so your Apex is I think IP 192.168.1.50 or 192.168.0.50. Again it depends on the brand of router you have. but how do you tell your phone to go to that internal address when all you have is an external IP? we will pretend your external IP when you go to IPchicken.com is 68.75.91.26. you remote into your router by going to internet explorer(the icon you use for surfing the net) in the addres bar type your default gateway. to find this click on start, run, type CMD, hit enter. then type IPCONFIG. it should be something similar to 192.168.1.1. so you type that into your address bar and that will get you into your router. there should be a section on port forwarding. it is also sometimes under "gaming".
so now you forward port 80, what ever you want it to be to IP 192.168.1.50, or the IP of your Apex. Some routers have a start and finish port. you will know what I mean if you see it. just put 8080 in both fields. Really all you are doing is telling the router that if a request comes in trying to go to 68.75.91.26:80, direct it to the internal address of 192.168.1.50! CLEAR AS MUD!

if you are still lost let me know what brand and model of router you have and I will try and be more specific. this is not simple stuff so don't feel bad.

Unread 06/29/2011, 08:32 AM   #92
longiotti
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, Apex uses 80 for the port,

so say the IP address is 65.24.25.98
then do i enter: 65.24.25.9880 in the url section?
I would not list your external IP and port on the forum. PM me if you want

Unread 06/29/2011, 08:34 AM   #93
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
I would not list your external IP and port on the forum. PM me if you want
Yeah these are ficticious...I just need to know which to use?

Ok, I have:

and an IP address when i pulled from my home computer which was like 65.24.xx.xx

Unread 06/29/2011, 08:34 AM   #94
longiotti
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, I have:

Which do I use??
have you set up port forwarding yet? you have to set this up or it will not work.
once you set up port forwarding inside the Apex phone software. for address you would put http://65.24.xx.xx:80

Unread 06/29/2011, 08:36 AM   #95
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
have you set up port forwarding yet? you have to set this up or it will not work.
once you set up port forwarding inside the Apex phone software. for address you would put http://65.24.xx.xx:80
Ok,

Thats what i needed. Thanks.

Where do i make sure port forwarding is on or setup?

Unread 06/29/2011, 08:39 AM   #96
longiotti
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok,

Thats what i needed. Thanks.

Where do i make sure port forwarding is on or setup?
inside your router. see link.

http://portforward.com/english/route...inksys/WRT54G/

Unread 07/26/2011, 10:45 AM   #97
cougaran
Registered Member

How easy would it be to setup a camera so that you could visually check the tank remotely?

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal w/ 20 Gal Refugium(setup since 2005), 38 & 29 QT. 300 Gal marineland setup in progress.
cougaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2011, 10:55 AM   #98
Cybe
Registered Member

Pretty easy -- I use a $90 Wireless Foscam I got from Amazon, and am able to view it on my cellphone or via web browser. Has infrared / night vision as well as pan/tilt.

Doubles as a security cam for the driveway (can pan in that direction, use the motion detection feature and software to record.)

Cybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2011, 11:34 AM   #99
tqpolo
Registered Member

Still couldn't find the Apex app for Android.

tqpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2011, 12:52 PM   #100
Hextall
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqpolo View Post
Still couldn't find the Apex app for Android.
Here's the app link via Appbrain:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/apex/org.dvrc.apex

I've been using the app for about a week now and it's pretty useful. the only problem I've had is that a couple of times it's been unable to connect to the apex. I'd be worried about turning something on, then lose connection to turn it off and then bad things happen.

Has anyone used a telnet app on their phone to reboot the apex?

Hextall is offline   Reply With Quote