Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Premium Aquatics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2012, 12:57 AM   #1351
Barteks
Registered Member

so I do not have to strictly stick with the recommended water level 20-25cm from the Manual?

Barteks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2012, 09:31 AM   #1352
tcoral
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barteks View Post
so I do not have to strictly stick with the recommended water level 20-25cm from the Manual?
OK, it's around 8.5". I had to play around with it though to see the right water level. Too high and it went nuts.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon tank- gone to better things
tcoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2012, 09:54 AM   #1353
tcoral
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy B. View Post
It sounds like the skimmer might be running a little too wet if it's really dumping a lot in the cup at night. However, if you want an external collection cup on it I'd suggest using the Octopus, which can be found here:

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-s...CV-WC-140.html

The reason being is that it uses a shut off switch so if the skimmer really goes crazy it will ship the skimmer pump down and not dump a ton of water out of your system when you're not around.
The waste line from the skimmer has to go directly down to the collector? (downhill)? My sump sides are high so any waste line would have a slight uphill before going outside the sump unless I put it inside the sump, and then the space in there now is at a premium . Lowering the water level some more seemed to calm down the skimmer more so I don't have to empty it every day.
Another question, what type of self cleaning device would work with the super marin 200? (this is a wish list item) .

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon tank- gone to better things
tcoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2012, 09:55 AM   #1354
maysorum
Registered Member

Hello Jeremy, I'm thinking about joining the BK Club. I have a 90g display with about another 50-60g split between sump and refugium. I'm not sure if I have a high bioload. I have 8 fishes, 2 bubbletip anemones, 8-10 mini maxi anemones, small assortment of lps (dendro, torch, hammer, and acan) and maybe 20 sps frags and mini colonies. I would like to add another fish (small tang or angel) eventually. I would like to feed more without worry. What BK skimmer would you suggest? Many thanks!

maysorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2012, 01:00 AM   #1355
yort265
Registered Member

on a mixed reef system with a total water volume around 110-120 gallons with a med-high bio load, what BK would y'all recommend?... and why?

BK mini 160
BK mini 180
BK supermarin 200

OR

the vertex alpha 170?

Thanks,
Troy

yort265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2012, 02:39 PM   #1356
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

@tcoral, Here is what you need for the self cleaning head:

Vertex 200mm Lid $27: http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-s...X-PA-L200.html
Vertex Cleaner Motor $169: http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-s...-PS-VSCHE.html

@maysorum, I just responded to your thread posted in the forum here.

@yort265, Really any of those skimmers would work for you, even the Mini 160 assuming you have pretty good husbandry and are doing water changes. The SM 200 could be a little inconsistent due to size and power just based on the particular bioload and amount of dissolved organics from day to day.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2012, 04:33 PM   #1357
urbaneks
Registered Member

I will be adding a Bio Pellet Reactor to my system and I want to connect the output from the reactor to the intake of my Mini 180. I was wondering if anyone here has an easy way to accomplish this.

Is the second intake (smaller/gray one) on the nozzle an option? I'd like to simply connect my reactor up directly to this but I'm not sure what this was originally designed for and if it will impact the performance of the skimmer.

urbaneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2012, 11:03 PM   #1358
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbaneks View Post
I will be adding a Bio Pellet Reactor to my system and I want to connect the output from the reactor to the intake of my Mini 180. I was wondering if anyone here has an easy way to accomplish this.

Is the second intake (smaller/gray one) on the nozzle an option? I'd like to simply connect my reactor up directly to this but I'm not sure what this was originally designed for and if it will impact the performance of the skimmer.

The second grey nozzle is the ozone port. Attaching the "out" direct to the ozone port might affect the skimmer performance.
Better option is directing the outlet of the bio pellet reactor close/near to the intake of the skimmer pump.
If you ask me a lil bit of the bio film does help feed the SPS corals. Don't skim it all off.
Hope it helps.
Good luck

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2012, 11:46 PM   #1359
urbaneks
Registered Member

Sounds like you are speaking from experience. Anyway you can post a pic of how close you have your reactor output to the skimmer intake?

Unread 11/25/2012, 04:36 AM   #1360
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds like you are speaking from experience. Anyway you can post a pic of how close you have your reactor output to the skimmer intake?
Yes I had experimented with bio pellets in one of my older systems. I had trouble with them clumping and discontinued. Be sure they tumble well in the reactor if the pellets clump and restricts flow it leads to H2S and thats bad for your live stock.
I'm sorry I don't have a pic of my old setup as I hadn't documented it. Sorry bout that. I had the reactor outlet emptying into the skimmer chamber and about 5" away from the skimmer pump.

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2012, 11:40 AM   #1361
urbaneks
Registered Member

Reef_Noob - Thanks for the info. I purchased a recirculating reactor so clumping will not be an issue.

Anyone else out there currently running a reactor with their Bubble King? I would love to see how you have your reactor output setup with your skimmer intake.

Unread 11/25/2012, 07:54 PM   #1362
sean2sean
Registered Member

I got a question. I have a bk sm250. With a defective pump that proline won't warranty. Can I use a bubble blaster 3000 or bb 5000 as a replacement? Any ideas? Thanks.

sean2sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2012, 05:54 AM   #1363
Luxo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2sean View Post
I got a question. I have a bk sm250. With a defective pump that proline won't warranty. Can I use a bubble blaster 3000 or bb 5000 as a replacement? Any ideas? Thanks.
Why not? is it more than 2 years old.
I had a faulty pump was about 20 months old and get replaced no issue.
The issue is that the other pumps are not the same water and air draw as the stock BK pump so the skimmer will skim differently! I guess you never know until you try it! I got a BB3000 to mod a smaller skimmer on another tank and was not happy with the results or the pump.

Luxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2012, 10:58 AM   #1364
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2sean View Post
Who did you purchase the skimmer through? Have you contacted them and had them help you work with Proline to get the warranty taken care of?

Unread 11/26/2012, 11:41 AM   #1365
sean2sean
Registered Member

Quote:
Who did you purchase the skimmer through? Have you contacted them and had them help you work with Proline to get the warranty taken care of?
I purchased it from tom @ so cal tropical. When I tried to get a replacement, he tells me that he no longer owns the store. And to call proline aquatics. I did just that and after 1 months later Riley at proline says its not cover under warranty. They say something about calcium build up. But I find it strange because I clean/soak the skimmer and pump in vineger every 3-4 months. And they want to sell me a new pump at "a discounted" price. I'm just not sure if I trust bubble king products anymore. For the cost of a new pump I can buy a new sro5000 and still have enough money left over to buy myself a nice dinner... Not a very happy bubble king owner.

Hence I'm contemplating if I should buy a new red dragon pump ($6-700), buy a new bubble blaster pump ($200) or just buy a new skimmer that's not a bubble king ($500).

sean2sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2012, 04:47 PM   #1366
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

An impeller assembly should be no more than $250 or so, or a motorblock would be $399. You shouldn't need both of them, only one or the other. I don't really know all of the details since I wasn't involved in the inspection or anything like that, so I don't want to speak out of place for you or Proline.

Unread 11/29/2012, 05:54 PM   #1367
taka
Registered Member

supermarin

If anyone could help me, I need to find any store that have Bubble King Supermarin 250 internal, if anyone knows, please let me know.

takashi@sementesmaua.com.br

Thanks!

taka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2012, 07:38 AM   #1368
glxtrix
Registered Member

I have a gen2 BK mini 200...I bought it used and everything seemed good to start. Now I'm having major micro bubbles exiting the skimmer....It's sitting about 8" deep in my sump. Could this be a result from the silencer starting to clog, or something else? Thank you for any help

glxtrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2012, 10:33 AM   #1369
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

@glxtrix, clean the silencer, clean the impeller assembly, as well as the venturi and airline. If this doesn't solve the issue then the skimmer is reacting to something in your water column.

Unread 12/02/2012, 10:45 AM   #1370
glxtrix
Registered Member

@Jeremy - I was just about to write on here, it was the silencer that was gunked up. Was hesitant at first due to the cost of the skimmer. Razor blade to the silencer and opened really easy. The foam inside was a little dirty but the intake was almost completely clogged. Took the foam completely out....it went from dead silent to silent and instantly started skimming properly. Thanks for the advice!

Unread 12/02/2012, 10:53 AM   #1371
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Glad to hear you got it fixed! You might even consider removing the foam altogether. You'll get a slight noise out of it by doing this, but you won't have to clean it anywhere near as often.

Unread 12/02/2012, 11:07 AM   #1372
glxtrix
Registered Member

Yes, I took it out as stated. There really isn't that much more noise. Still quieter than any other skimmer I've owned. Lol. Thanks again!

Unread 12/02/2012, 06:32 PM   #1373
azjohnny
Registered Member

Quote:

I made an adapter for my SRO 5000 skimmer to be run with my BP reactor works great, used a 1.25" T fitting and shaved off some material using a dremel

heres a few pics

From Sump

From Sump

azjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2012, 09:47 AM   #1374
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Nice DIY work. Did you if you remove the tube from the attachment at the suction side of the skimmer coming from the reactor do you notice any variance in the operating level of the skimmer?

Unread 12/03/2012, 03:38 PM   #1375
azjohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice DIY work. Did you if you remove the tube from the attachment at the suction side of the skimmer coming from the reactor do you notice any variance in the operating level of the skimmer?
I never tried that, but the only difference in the skimmer I have seen since I added the BP reactor is the skimmate has doubled

When I feed the fish (silversides once a day) I get a small amount of surface scum that forms in the bubble trap in the sump and white stringy material in the return pump area which does goes away, it only happens after feeding time

Since this didn't happen before I added the BP reactor I do believe they are related...possibly the organics reacting with the sugars from the BP effluent

azjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote