Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/03/2010, 12:48 PM   #1
gofor100
Registered Member

Smile If you could add just ONE more Acro...

So I've unfortunately (or if you're my wife... FORTUNATELY) come to the point where the stocking of my tank is pretty much done (at least when it comes to the SPS). But I have one last spot open right in the center of my tank that I would like to put one of those "WOW SPS" corals.

I've been lucky enough to obtain some nice frags from local reefers that I'll list below (forgive my lack of scientific names), and was wondering if you guys could suggest "THE LAST SPS" addition.

Here's the list of corals (all frags except the tenuis) I already have:

Acroporas:
> Pink Millepora
> Sky Blue Millepora
> Vivid's Purple Monster
> Undetermined Dark Green with Teal polyps acro
> Hawkins Blue Echinata
> Pink Lemonade
> Raspberry Limeade
> Miami Orchid
> Blue Tenuis
> Green Birdsnest with Purple Polyps
> Tricolor (pink/purple with green polyps)
> ORA Pearlberry
> Blue Valida
> Efflo (blue)
> Lokani (purple)
> Blue Oregon Tort
> Pink with Blue Tip Formosa
> Green Slimer

So any "crazy-looking" Acros out there that I don't already have (I'm sure there's plenty)? I know there is Vivid's Rainbow Delight coral, and some nice looking Milleporas (i.e., Bubblegum, Halloween, Sunset, etc.). Just wanted to get some of your suggestions (AND PICS) in case I'm missing something out there.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

-Chad

Current Tank Info: Tank Build in Progress
gofor100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 12:58 PM   #2
MeVsTheWorld
Salt Creep

The Diablo millepora from rocky mountain frags or the Mille Madness from exoticfrags. I think these 2 are something you normally don't see. Both have that WOW factor too. Good luck!!!

Revelation 3:21
To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
HST
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Current Tank Info: Almost Skimmerless 40g breeder w/ 20g sump-cryptic zone T5 & Powerbrite viewed mixed reef
MeVsTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 01:13 PM   #3
nano427
Registered Member

sunset milli is a good idea since you don't have a lot of green yet. the red planet might also make a nice piece. the is also one called a caroliniana which is almost flourescent yellow/green which is pretty impressive.

nano427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 03:34 PM   #4
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

If they're all frags, do count on the fact that corals grow, one more acro might be 10 acros too many

Unread 05/03/2010, 03:36 PM   #5
mavjoy
Registered Member

Some kind of enchinata would be nice to add to your collection...ice fire FTW!

mavjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 03:54 PM   #6
gofor100
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys... I'll post some pics that I find on the names you've mentioned so I can visually compare them. Keep 'em coming!

sfsuphysics: I definitely took into consideration that the frags/corals will grow, although, hopefully I'll be upgrading my tank within the next 1 to 2 years. I have to admit, I have been tempted to stack the frags right next to each other so I can have immediate gratification of a "packed reeftank", but alas, I am being "somewhat" patient and letting them grow into their own space. I've just been extremely creative in my aquascaping to make sure the corals have a decent amount of room to grow out for the next 2 years.

Then when the time comes, I'll have to say, "Wife, my corals have grown too much and we need to get a bigger tank..." What can she say, "no"?

Unread 05/03/2010, 04:21 PM   #7
alovely
Registered Member

candlelight acro

alovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Znut Reefer
Premium Member

I don't have a pic. But the **********s Strawberry stag is sweet. Or maybe the Strawberry shortcake acro.

Znut Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Bigmike
Registered Member

My "go-to" answer for this question is always the monti setosa. Cant beat how bright orange it is and looks great next to any other coral IMO. Not too many oranges in our reef tanks either, so its a nice variance of color. Plus I love the way it grows, hardly looks like a monti at all.

Unread 05/03/2010, 07:10 PM   #10
reefsponge
Registered Member

Icefire echinata is an amazing looker. You won't be dissapointed.

reefsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 07:20 PM   #11
CMcNeil
Registered Member

i dont see a red table acro in your list so that is what id get.maybe a ORA red planet,or some ATL red table.

CMcNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 07:32 PM   #12
fishyfish8
Registered Member

Acro Loripes are nice. i has a whitish skeleton and blue tips.

fishyfish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 07:40 PM   #13
strout
Registered Member

Alittle off track, but could we see a pic of your tank??

strout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 09:51 PM   #14
MeVsTheWorld
Salt Creep

Here are the pics for ya
Diablo

Madness

To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
HST
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Current Tank Info: Almost Skimmerless 40g breeder w/ 20g sump-cryptic zone T5 & Powerbrite viewed mixed reef
Unread 05/03/2010, 10:58 PM   #15
JMalone81
Registered Member

Do both of those look like that in person? I want the diablo.

JMalone81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2010, 10:12 AM   #16
gofor100
Registered Member

Alright, so here's what I've got so far (in addition to the pics already posted)...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LoripesAcro.jpg (73.1 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg icefireechinata.jpg (65.4 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg RedPlanet.jpg (69.2 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg StrawberryShortcakeAcro.jpg (60.8 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg SunsetMillepora.jpg (65.0 KB, 309 views)

Unread 05/04/2010, 10:15 AM   #17
gofor100
Registered Member

And the Vivid's Rainbow...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vividrainbowdelight.jpg (2.6 KB, 235 views)

Unread 05/04/2010, 10:28 AM   #18
losthere
Registered Member

Dustins or Vivid's Tri-color prostrata.
Milli Madness is OK, I have that coral. Nothing too special(sorry Dom, really like your jac tho). The pic is just a very nice pic, and doesn't look like that in person. Same goes for Vivid's rainbow acro. Both are pretty over hyped.

losthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2010, 11:32 AM   #19
gofor100
Registered Member

I'm kind of leaning towards the sunset millepora, since you don't find too many acros out there with orange in it, but I do also like the look (and structure) of the loripes and ice/fire (but then again, I already have a good amount of blue/purple)... I might just have to narrow it down to my top three, and then pick the one based on what the local reefers here in SoCal are willing to frag...

Although the Strawberry Shortcake looks really nice, my Pink Lemonade is a little too similar, so that might be off the list.

Also, the Red Planet is really nice, but since I already have a pink Mille (that seems to be tabling... can't really tell yet since its still a fragwith about 4 branches), I'll probably stay away from that one unless I just sell/trade my Pink Mille frag and replace it with the Red Planet.

Keep 'em coming though!

Losthere: I can't seem to find a Tri-color prostrata pic... do you have a pic?

Unread 05/04/2010, 11:33 AM   #20
gofor100
Registered Member

Oh, and the diablo looks a lot like the pics I've seen of the "bubblegum" millepora... same coral different name?

Also very good looking coral that might be in my "final 3"...

Unread 05/04/2010, 11:38 AM   #21
mavjoy
Registered Member

The mille madness pic looks awesome. I gotta see it in person before purchasing one. Check for some Prostrata too.

mavjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2010, 11:50 AM   #22
MeVsTheWorld
Salt Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthere View Post
Dustins or Vivid's Tri-color prostrata.
Milli Madness is OK, I have that coral. Nothing too special(sorry Dom, really like your jac tho). The pic is just a very nice pic, and doesn't look like that in person. Same goes for Vivid's rainbow acro. Both are pretty over hyped.
Thanks for the heads up!

The sunset is a really nice piece and looks good in person.
How about the snowcone prostrata, nice piece, hard to find though.

HST

Unread 05/04/2010, 12:27 PM   #23
losthere
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofor100 View Post

Losthere: I can't seem to find a Tri-color prostrata pic... do you have a pic?
I dont have a good pic of it. It isnt on their site either. I bought it in the store. Their colony isn't that big.
It is probably one of the nicest sps there is. Bright pink with bright blue tips. My favorite coral in my tank, even nicer than my rouge milli. I will try to get a decent pic of it when my lights turn on. I will also try to get Klepto(jake) to come over and take a real pic of it. Do the coral some justice. I suck at taking pics.

losthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2010, 07:56 PM   #24
ryshark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthere View Post
I dont have a good pic of it. It isnt on their site either. I bought it in the store. Their colony isn't that big.
It is probably one of the nicest sps there is. Bright pink with bright blue tips. My favorite coral in my tank, even nicer than my rouge milli. I will try to get a decent pic of it when my lights turn on. I will also try to get Klepto(jake) to come over and take a real pic of it. Do the coral some justice. I suck at taking pics.
I typically like the corals with names, however, if I could get only one more I'd like to get a piece of this guys coral (sailfish2) click this link and then scroll down to post #14 and then the 5th pic down on post 14. It is a millie or prostrata which sounds similar to the quote above. red w/ blue tips http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1626463

Unread 05/04/2010, 10:09 PM   #25
MeVsTheWorld
Salt Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
I typically like the corals with names, however, if I could get only one more I'd like to get a piece of this guys coral (sailfish2) click this link and then scroll down to post #14 and then the 5th pic down on post 14. It is a millie or prostrata which sounds similar to the quote above. red w/ blue tips http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1626463
I have that same piece, it was sold to me as a superman millepora. It is a great piece, but would not be a last one type of coral, for me anyway.

HST