Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2008, 07:10 AM   #101
epstein
Registered Member

how much vodka do you dose?

Current Tank Info: 150 DD Cube / 100 Gal Sump(basement) 30gal cube frag tank plumb Panworld 250ps return/ Reef Octopus SRO3000 Skimmer/ Bubble Magus Doser/Lumenmax reflector with 400 watt Radium bulb Ice Cap Ballast Apex Controller 2 MP40wes 2 gyre 150
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2008, 07:15 AM   #102
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

im at 2.2 mls per day at present, still got phos, its not major but its there, im going to keep going till i hit 4 ml, and see how its going then, could be a few more weeks before i hit 4 mil though, just tested ph today actually, it was 8.1 thats quite good for me its been under 8 for a while now, except when dosing kalk, ive had to stop doing that as calcium levels were getting high, im thinking of changing salts to a lower calcium salt then i can dose kalk to aid the ph, i know when the springs here the windows will be open and more oxygen in the house and the ph will be at 8.2-8.3 again, theres too much carbon dioxide in the house due to the heating on at the moment

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2008, 11:26 AM   #103
Hookup
Registered Member

As promised here are some photos of how I did my lighting.

I have built a third T5 pair, exactly the same as you see in the photos, that will be mounted to the front of the tank on the doors. The doors that I have not built yet, but will be attempting today... LOL.

Anyhow, these are the shots, hope it helps people.

I'm not sure FOWLRs actually exist, I think they're like unicorns or platonic girlfriends. A FOWLR is just a reef tank that doesn't yet hold any coral.

Current Tank Info: 180g display, 150gallon sump in-wall 4-side viewable sps dominated tank, ATI Powermodule, MRC MR-4 skimmer, GHL controller, Baling Method, Ultralith Reactor, Carbon & Phosphate Reactors, and general time consuming money pit that I live for.
Hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2008, 11:39 AM   #104
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

wow, thats amazing the way you got it all in, and theres plenty of room for future fans as well

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 12/31/2008, 12:36 PM   #105
Hookup
Registered Member

Thanks Michael, I really worked at it a long time and am quite proud of it. This is the second build and I'm pretty happy with it. As I said I'll be working on the doors today, so I can re-wire and get the last 2 T5's into the system. I cannot wait for that additional color and light boost from the front two bulbs, which will be 75/25's I think.

Also, I am waiting on 3 more bulb-mounted reflectors to come in at my LFS. That will help direct the light into the tank a bit better and stop the over-spill.

I'm not sure FOWLRs actually exist, I think they're like unicorns or platonic girlfriends. A FOWLR is just a reef tank that doesn't yet hold any coral.

Current Tank Info: 180g display, 150gallon sump in-wall 4-side viewable sps dominated tank, ATI Powermodule, MRC MR-4 skimmer, GHL controller, Baling Method, Ultralith Reactor, Carbon & Phosphate Reactors, and general time consuming money pit that I live for.
Unread 12/31/2008, 12:48 PM   #106
Hookup
Registered Member

Took some close-up shots of some of my corals today... I've modified the photos in Adobe Lightroom, which is to say that I have adjusted exposure, fill-lights and shadows. I have also, in some cases, increased contrast and in a few I actually decreased the blues because there was some actinic glare (from camera shake).

Oh, I also had to adjust the color-temp (White Balance) of the photos, which for these shots I simply guessed and increased the temp, which got me closer to white where required... However, in the near future I'm going to put a white-card in the tank under the lights and shoot-it to get a proper WB adjustment... Wife's going to love me putting our white-card in the tank...lol.

So no, these are not scientific documentary style photos, they are simply snaps. But do not think they are heavily modified, saturated, adjusted.

Hope you enjoy.

Unread 12/31/2008, 01:35 PM   #107
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

the corals look stunning , and its a good idea about the white card, ive been told to do the same, i like the third pic, the quality is awsome, its so colourful it looks like a knitted hat, lol, great photos

MIKE

Unread 12/31/2008, 03:15 PM   #108
phish guy
Registered Member

got a pic of my lighting the other day. nothing fancy or DIY like alot of ya'll, but it fit perfectly.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef, Reeftech LEDs ( on their way out for reefbreeder Photons), Reef Octoput NWB250, Custom made Sump/Refufium, Mp40wES, Koralia's. SPS, LPS, Zoas/Palys
phish guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2008, 03:42 PM   #109
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

thats a great light, it fits just perfectly, i wish i had a light above the tank to aid co2 removal sometimes, everynight i lift my hood before i go to bed to let some air get in, its fine in the day, but your light allows for that and looks neat sat on the sides as well

MIKE

Unread 12/31/2008, 04:59 PM   #110
phish guy
Registered Member

yeah it worked out kinda nice. the little legs hang off a little bit but other than that, its perfect.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef, Reeftech LEDs ( on their way out for reefbreeder Photons), Reef Octoput NWB250, Custom made Sump/Refufium, Mp40wES, Koralia's. SPS, LPS, Zoas/Palys
Unread 12/31/2008, 05:03 PM   #111
phish guy
Registered Member

up top . . .

initially the camera freaked when it caught a reflection. thought i broke it.

Unread 12/31/2008, 06:13 PM   #112
Hookup
Registered Member

Hey Phish Guy,
What kind of light is that? Brand, lights, etc? Nice and simple...

I've been working in the basement for the past few hrs on the doors for my DIY... Should have one door up tonight.. maybe... I hope... my god it's been a long road... and to think, I have to take it all apart to paint it before it's done... will this ever end?? hahaha.. been a fun learning experience for sure.

Unread 12/31/2008, 06:32 PM   #113
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Hookup
will this ever end??
nope!!!!

Unread 12/31/2008, 07:58 PM   #114
Misled
RC Mod

Ok, a couple pics. First Hookup nice pics!!!! I like your choice for reflector. Here's mine!!!

Next, I have 3 powerheads going in the tank for flow, but wanted something for alternating current. The squid will sit next to the overflow and a pump will sit behind the rock wall to power it.

Unread 12/31/2008, 08:33 PM   #115
Hookup
Registered Member

Misled; WHAT IS THAT PIPE THING? hahaha.. never heard of seen it before... Obv it's for water flow, but what? how? Who? ok, not who... just what and how, maybe why.. lol...

Unread 12/31/2008, 09:33 PM   #116
Misled
RC Mod

To explain, this is a scwd or pronunced squid.

It's a mechanical device that alternates the flow between two outlets. It uses the flow of a powerhead or pump to do this.

Next you see there are two outlets with two outputs on each. If you look in the second pic, you can see where I left space for the pump where the scwd and pump will go.

The scwd sits to the right of the overflow box and will be wiretied in. Here's what the first version looked like before painting. I'll drill a hole in the lip of the top of the tank and wire tie it.

Last edited by Misled; 12/31/2008 at 09:39 PM.
Misled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2009, 01:50 AM   #117
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

good idea that jesse, making the most of flow with it, i had spray bars on mine when it was first up, it worked well but didnt look nice, yours will work well and does look nice, a definate winner there

MIKE

Unread 01/01/2009, 09:38 AM   #118
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

ha ha, every time i see jesse post he has a different avatar

MIKE

Unread 01/01/2009, 10:30 AM   #119
Misled
RC Mod

It's the Holidays!!!!!!

Unread 01/01/2009, 11:30 AM   #120
kelso1980
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael

[/B]
Hey Michael, thanks for putting the beer down long enough to take a picture for us.

ps great looking tank!

I'm toying witht he idea of drilling a hole in my livingroom floor and making a fish room in my basement. I have the perfect setup for it, but it's gonna take a lot of planning.
I pretty much want to do it so I can have an ATO. No room in the cabinet under my 54G.
I'd also like to increase the gallonage, who wouldnt.
So far my main concern (so far) is a protein skimmer and I think i'm going to need a more powerful return pump to make it up from the basement. I've got a little guy. but I think i'm going to have to upgrade.
I might have to start asking you guys a lot of questions when I get back from vacation (chicago - definetly going to the shedd aquarium!)
I'm lovin this thread and the pics!

kelso1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2009, 11:37 AM   #121
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

ask as many questions as you need to kelso, and thanks for joining this thread, its great because you guys keep it so

MIKE

Unread 01/01/2009, 12:19 PM   #122
Misled
RC Mod

kelso, I've been planning this set-up for almost 2 years, it really helps bumping ideas off others that work with these types of tanks. My asm-g3 will be directly fed from the overflow on the tank. I'm doing the recurculating mod now, it has the mesh mod and the gate valve now. The overflow from the skimmer will feed the fuge, then the fuge into the sump. A return pump set at about 180 gph will feed back to the tank.

Mike show me a pic of your lights off the tank next time you take them off please!!!!!

Unread 01/01/2009, 12:40 PM   #123
kelso1980
Registered Member

jesse, few Q's: Do you use phos and/or carbon reactor? Next time you get your camera out could you snap some for me? No rush, this wont happen for a few months but it's nice to get an idea. What return pump do you use?
There are a hundred and one upgrades that could/should be done on my tank...baby steps.

kelso1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2009, 12:50 PM   #124
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

ok jesse heres some pics and a link

http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquarium/aquaray-lighting.asp

you can click on my red house for more lighting picks as well

MIKE

Unread 01/01/2009, 12:53 PM   #125
Misled
RC Mod

I do plan on adding a phosban reactor. I ordered one but it hasn't arived yet. Don't know about the carbon yet. I want too see how the one fits before I get another. The return is a ca pump but I don't remember the number, but I'll get it when I go to my shop later.

The mesh mod for the pump is easy and I'll show some pics later when I have the skimmer ripped apart. The recurc mod is where I'm at now. I'm trying to find a different way than using the uni-seals that asm used. It's just too flimsy for me. The gate is easy too, just the gate valve is expensive.

Tags
bowfront, corner tank thread