Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/16/2014, 06:31 PM   #176
wetWolger
Registered Member

Hummm....not really, it's such a hard decision. I think you gave me most the information you can do without also having an RW-8.

I really want to have at least two. I feel like two smaller pumps gives more options than one big one. I also would really like to run them on the "ELSE" mode. Which is why I am nervous about the RW-8...even if I am going to be bare bottom, and even if I do plan to have _some_ SPS (not like a crazy sps tank like some people keep).

I guess no matter what I get I guess I should get only one to start, in case I got the wrong one, haha.

Current Tank Info: 66gal = 32x24x20
wetWolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2014, 06:36 PM   #177
greaps
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Mistersponge;23337610]Still cloudy over here. Bio Spira went in this morning. Rock is starting to smell.

I did an acid bath for my pieces, although they looked it pretty clean to begin with. Only bathed them for 30 minutes. Last time I did it to pukani boy did it take a lot off them, they became sharp to hold from the acid etching out all its edges. The reaction lead to it overflowing the container with foam and dirty water.

This time around, not so much with the reef saver rock maybe I didn't put enough acid in its bath, it bubbled steadily and foamed some, it was a much more mellow experience than last time.

greaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2014, 06:39 PM   #178
greaps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetWolger View Post
Hummm....not really, it's such a hard decision. I think you gave me most the information you can do without also having an RW-8.

I really want to have at least two. I feel like two smaller pumps gives more options than one big one. I also would really like to run them on the "ELSE" mode. Which is why I am nervous about the RW-8...even if I am going to be bare bottom, and even if I do plan to have _some_ SPS (not like a crazy sps tank like some people keep).

I guess no matter what I get I guess I should get only one to start, in case I got the wrong one, haha.
Yeah, that sounds about right, if my tank was bigger I would be thinking RW-8 especially if its bare bottom, the idea being to suspend all the crap in the water column and get it too the socks. I used two WP-25's on a 40 breeder bare bottom with a Jebao DC12000 (3000 gph if I'm not mistaken) return pump. My frogspawn didn't mind as long as it wasn't in the jet stream.

Unread 12/16/2014, 08:38 PM   #179
Underwoo
Registered Member

Just finish setting up my Kessil 360-WE on my 80 Gallon SC aquarium.
Very slow build.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01960.jpg (32.5 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01961.jpg (66.8 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01962.jpg (65.6 KB, 299 views)
Underwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2014, 11:52 PM   #180
Mistersponge
Registered Member

[QUOTE=greaps;23338196]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistersponge View Post
Still cloudy over here. Bio Spira went in this morning. Rock is starting to smell.

I did an acid bath for my pieces, although they looked it pretty clean to begin with. Only bathed them for 30 minutes. Last time I did it to pukani boy did it take a lot off them, they became sharp to hold from the acid etching out all its edges. The reaction lead to it overflowing the container with foam and dirty water.

This time around, not so much with the reef saver rock maybe I didn't put enough acid in its bath, it bubbled steadily and foamed some, it was a much more mellow experience than last time.
Ha I'm lazy I just dumped it in there. Nothing some w/c's won't fix. Not in a hurry to add livestock.

Mistersponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2014, 05:18 AM   #181
greaps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwoo View Post
Just finish setting up my Kessil 360-WE on my 80 Gallon SC aquarium.
Very slow build.
Looks awesome. I didn't think a single 360-WE would be enough, but it seems plenty bright, looks good. What kind of corals are you thinking of keeping?

Unread 12/17/2014, 04:10 PM   #182
freeflydive
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaps View Post
I didn't think a single 360-WE would be enough, but it seems plenty bright, looks good.
I set up the Kessil 360WE on my 150g dry tank last night…I purchased 3x, but starting with only two. 1x light is advertised for a 24" footprint, but there seems enough overlap between 2x lights to cover the 60" width of my tank. I figure, if I position them 12in away from the center, I'll have the best coverage with possible reduced lighting 6" at the left and right edge, which will have little impact on future corals with my landscape.

Unfortunately, my build is on a temporary pause while my cabinet warranty claim is processed by SCA. I ordered the black cabinet (MDF board)…unfortunately the side walls are cracked and beginning to separate. On a positive note, I'm happy with the tank and Phillip at SCA was very helpful...now waiting on customer service to respond.

Last edited by freeflydive; 12/17/2014 at 04:20 PM.
freeflydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2014, 06:02 PM   #183
JRR1285
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflydive View Post
I set up the Kessil 360WE on my 150g dry tank last night…I purchased 3x, but starting with only two. 1x light is advertised for a 24" footprint, but there seems enough overlap between 2x lights to cover the 60" width of my tank. I figure, if I position them 12in away from the center, I'll have the best coverage with possible reduced lighting 6" at the left and right edge, which will have little impact on future corals with my landscape.

Unfortunately, my build is on a temporary pause while my cabinet warranty claim is processed by SCA. I ordered the black cabinet (MDF board)…unfortunately the side walls are cracked and beginning to separate. On a positive note, I'm happy with the tank and Phillip at SCA was very helpful...now waiting on customer service to respond.
I am very interested in getting the 150 but pictures of it seem to be scarce.

Any chance you could take some pics of the overflow and drilled holes? I am wondering if I can delete the overflow and go with a coast to coast after drilling my own holes.

Thanks in advance.

JRR1285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2014, 06:41 PM   #184
wetWolger
Registered Member

Quote:
I ordered the black cabinet (MDF board)…unfortunately the side walls are cracked and beginning to separate. On a positive note, I'm happy with the tank and Phillip at SCA was very helpful...now waiting on customer service to respond.
Glad to hear SCA has been handling the warranty smoothly.

Out of curisosity do you think it was a design flaw of the stand? I plan to reinforce with L brackets, but no matter what it will always be MDF (which is not stellar, but I have had tanks with MDF before).

Current Tank Info: 66gal = 32x24x20
wetWolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2014, 08:32 PM   #185
GoGo98102
Registered Member

I also have the 150g. My stand is very sturdy and it'd made of real wood though...

GoGo98102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2014, 10:47 PM   #186
freeflydive
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR1285 View Post
I am very interested in getting the 150 but pictures of it seem to be scarce.

Any chance you could take some pics of the overflow and drilled holes? I am wondering if I can delete the overflow and go with a coast to coast after drilling my own holes.

Thanks in advance.
I don't have the plumbing in place, however I was able to take a photo inside the overflow box (sorry about the reflection), with the ~1" drain/.5" return holes. The overflow box is siliconed glass box, incased with an acrylic overflow overlay to serve as a barrier from large foreign objects flowing in. The glass enclosure is very well built/siliconed…but I had to re-silicone the top portion of the acrylic overflow (nothing major).

Based on other's feedback, SCA may plug the existing holes and remove the overflow box, if you choose to go a different route. As with many others, I am replacing the bulkheads since they are metric and have difficulty finding compatible sized PVC piping/hose…not an issue if you use all the SCA supplied plumbing. I will likely use the existing holes as the main/emergency drains and run the return line from behind the tank/over the rim.

photo FullSizeRender.jpg

photo Overflow.jpg

Unread 12/17/2014, 11:29 PM   #187
freeflydive
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetWolger View Post
Glad to hear SCA has been handling the warranty smoothly.

Out of curisosity do you think it was a design flaw of the stand? I plan to reinforce with L brackets, but no matter what it will always be MDF (which is not stellar, but I have had tanks with MDF before).
I emailed SCA's customer service today, and waiting for their reply. The damage seems to stem from the shipper. The MDF used seem solid and heavy, but the way the boards are attached/constructed is similar to a cheap walmart desk furniture. The edges of the veneer are little sharp and not the best I've seen. To be fair, I purchased the stand knowing the solid wood cabinets (walnut/cherry) were better constructed…as GOGO and others have noted. I do plan on using metal brackets to reinforce the build…at least it will ease my mind. As always, YMMV.

Unread 12/18/2014, 11:39 PM   #188
OceanWolf
Registered Member

MDF stand is OK, but not great. I also used corner brackets to enforce it.

OceanWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 08:34 AM   #189
JRR1285
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't have the plumbing in place, however I was able to take a photo inside the overflow box (sorry about the reflection), with the ~1" drain/.5" return holes. The overflow box is siliconed glass box, incased with an acrylic overflow overlay to serve as a barrier from large foreign objects flowing in. The glass enclosure is very well built/siliconed…but I had to re-silicone the top portion of the acrylic overflow (nothing major).

Based on other's feedback, SCA may plug the existing holes and remove the overflow box, if you choose to go a different route. As with many others, I am replacing the bulkheads since they are metric and have difficulty finding compatible sized PVC piping/hose…not an issue if you use all the SCA supplied plumbing. I will likely use the existing holes as the main/emergency drains and run the return line from behind the tank/over the rim.

photo FullSizeRender.jpg

photo Overflow.jpg
Thanks so much for the pics. It's a really nice tank.

I am not in the position to upgrade at the moment so hopefully SCA takes the feedback and tweaks the product a bit by the time I'm ready to get one.

JRR1285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 11:08 AM   #190
greaps
Registered Member

photo FullSizeRender.jpg

Awesome tank! The lights look sick on top, tank looks like it fits the space perfectly. I really like Kessils too, especially with the controller out, its on my list for my dream tank down the road.

Unread 12/19/2014, 12:27 PM   #191
ifarmer
Registered Member

Quote:

photo FullSizeRender.jpg

photo Overflow.jpg
simply beautiful.

ifarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 03:38 PM   #192
greaps
Registered Member

Last edited by greaps; 12/19/2014 at 04:00 PM.
Unread 12/19/2014, 04:37 PM   #193
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistersponge View Post
She's getting wet.

Nice rock Sorry if I missed it but where did you get it?

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 06:03 PM   #194
Mistersponge
Registered Member

It's brs pukani rock

Mistersponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2014, 05:09 PM   #195
freeflydive
Registered Member

I have a mix of pukani and BRS reef saver rock. I love the pukani, but had to patiently and properly cure it, as mine had quite a bit of dead organic material. It is worth it, as it's unique, beautiful, porous and light.

Unread 12/26/2014, 12:12 AM   #196
freeflydive
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifarmer View Post
simply beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaps View Post
Awesome tank! The lights look sick on top, tank looks like it fits the space perfectly. I really like Kessils too, especially with the controller out, its on my list for my dream tank down the road.
Thanks for the positive feedback. I love the modern look of the kessil 360's, which I think compliments the euro-braced SCA design. I have a 3rd kessil in case i need it for the DT...otherwise, I'll use it over the QT (used Nuvo 30)...it's a bit of an overkill...I know, I know.

Unfortunately, the SCA tank is still dry while we are away for the holidays. On a positive note, it forces me to completely cycle the rocks in the bin while away (ghost feeding with an automatic feeder while away).

Unread 12/31/2014, 05:36 PM   #197
OceanWolf
Registered Member

The stand is not great, but I love my 66g tank.

OceanWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2015, 03:04 PM   #198
freeflydive
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvmvhh View Post
The stands need to be assembled and i don't like the looks of the turnbuckle type bolt assembly.
I believe the smaller tank stands require assembly, however my 150g stand came assembled in the crate (the canopy needed assembly, but it was fairly simple). Unsure about the SCA solid wood stands, but the 150g MDF stand (black) utilizes turnbuckle type bolts, which I think are the weak link to "my" stand. The MDF boards are heavy duty and sturdy, but a few turnbuckle bolts were pulling out/away from the boards. SCA requested photos as proof and quickly accepted to refund me for the stand…however, I'm now negotiating with them for a fair amount.

Unread 01/03/2015, 03:46 PM   #199
Quintis
Registered Member

My 50g cube arrived yesterday and I am very impressed with the tank. The only issue I found with it and it's minor is that the black film on the back on one side doesn't quite reach the top. Very nice looking tank for the price!

Quintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2015, 06:17 PM   #200
greaps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintis View Post
My 50g cube arrived yesterday and I am very impressed with the tank. The only issue I found with it and it's minor is that the black film on the back on one side doesn't quite reach the top. Very nice looking tank for the price!
Agree, excellent value. I went stock plumbing on mine, its very quiet.