Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/07/2010, 06:43 AM   #1176
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonius View Post
literally a ton of rock. lol. again man this stuff is beautiful. your progress and original project leaves us all in awe... this things not even done and i want it to be on Tank of the Month in May. hahaha.
The tank most deserving of that kind of recognition is Chingchai's tank. As good as this group is we are way off that kind of recognition. Please keep the enthusiasm Anthonius, as it is this kind of positive energy that will help make this (our tank) a successful project.

Peter

Unread 04/07/2010, 06:53 AM   #1177
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonais1391 View Post
just got through it whoo i wish i could have a tank that large!! i just got done plumbing my new 75g tank. learned alot from it. i know its kinda late maby but i saw this ittreeging idea. it is filtration vea apitasia. the objective is to farm tha apitasia in a area where they can eat waist comming from the tank. the main tank is pritected from outbreaks by natural methods like the copper butterfly and (in your case) alot of peppermint shrimp. just thought id bring it up i thought it was interesting but there is alot of risk or gain as the tank that had it had cryistal water.
Great idea Antonais but I think I would want a lot more experience with a tank this size before attempting a strategy like that. It could well be something I look at downstream............

Thanks for your support.....

Peter

Unread 04/07/2010, 07:04 AM   #1178
crvz
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Sure thing crvz and if you have been following the recent conversation it will be very, very clean.

Peter
Just let me know when you need my address. Or maybe I should come pick it up. I'd also like to know what supplier provided the rock, so harass your fish guy for us!

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
Unread 04/07/2010, 08:24 AM   #1179
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crvz View Post
Just let me know when you need my address. Or maybe I should come pick it up. I'd also like to know what supplier provided the rock, so harass your fish guy for us!
No problem I'l just stick it in this envelope and lick this stamp......

I have put out the word to my fish guy on the supplier info

Peter

Unread 04/07/2010, 08:35 AM   #1180
swissgaurd
Registered Member

peter your rock is defenitaly premium
mr wilsons recomendation with elevated eggcrate is bang on.i would do a 100 percent water change at a week time though.
one question on your led lighting souronding the tank.ive searched
and i know you said it somewhere but who is the company,i know its the same as cn tower.

thanks
vic

Unread 04/07/2010, 09:23 AM   #1181
PauChi
Registered Member

Quote:

Peter
Hey Peter .... how do you intend to ventilate your display room and from which specific spots do you want to add the outlets? And oh ... any updates on your automated water changing system yet?

Thx,
Paul

Unread 04/07/2010, 09:48 AM   #1182
LethargicCoder
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissgaurd View Post
mr wilsons recomendation with elevated eggcrate is bang on.i would do a 100 percent water change at a week time though.
and i know you said it somewhere but who is the company,i know its the same as cn tower.

thanks
vic
Philips ... check out post 410 http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...&postcount=410

Unread 04/07/2010, 10:12 AM   #1183
H.Veras
Registered Member

Wow took me two days to finish reading this thread!!! or maybe we could say an essay with lots of info .... Peter you and your team are doing a great job. Keep up the good work... i wish you the best of lucky.

Current Tank Info: 90g tech series
Unread 04/07/2010, 11:07 AM   #1184
Oldtimer
Registered Member

Pheeew. Done. I just spent the better part of this week reading this thread.... found the link in Chingchai’s thread and I’m blown away. I’m finding it hard to get work done lately reading all this. The posts are coming at lightning speed. Congrats on embarking upon a long journey and I hope you will find a way to integrate it into your life in a symbiotic way. I commend you on creating a community of sorts to assist in the development. The input as you’ve seen is invaluable. Looking forward to the progression and any insight I can offer along the way.

Building the Reef, One piece at a time.

Current Tank Info: 240 g Display, 450 g total system SPS dominated Reef.
Unread 04/07/2010, 02:11 PM   #1185
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjoe2531 View Post
What company did you go with to aquire the rock?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvz View Post
The name of my fish guy's company is Aqua Sculpture Aquatic Design

http://www.aquariumservicestoronto.com/

Mike knows all the details..........

Peter

Unread 04/07/2010, 02:26 PM   #1186
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissgaurd View Post

thanks
vic
Thanks Vic. You guys are killing me with these rock hugging routines. I have requested another tub and will go with the elevated egg crate this weekend. Water change as well. For anyone that's interested the water change is 600 gals. I have not done any water testing yet short of temp and salt.

Day 5 and still no strong aroma....humidity yes.....aroma no. The colour is still good.

The lights are from Philips........They are absolutly incredible Vic but I repeat, they are very very expensive. See the link below.........

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...&postcount=410

Peter

Last edited by nineball; 04/07/2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: stoooopiddditty
Unread 04/07/2010, 02:46 PM   #1187
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauChi View Post
Hey Peter .... how do you intend to ventilate your display room and from which specific spots do you want to add the outlets? And oh ... any updates on your automated water changing system yet?

Thx,
Paul
The display room has normal HVAC. I presume you are concerned about the humidity and heat from the aquarium????

The design called for 24 hour negative air pressure to be maintained in the light cabinet above the tank. The air will be pulled into the fish room and then expelled through a dedicated HVAC system to the outside. Fresh air is brought into the display through another route. Pics will walk you through the whole process after we finish the electrical in the fish room.

I have decided to look into automated water changes after I have stabalized the entire ecosystem so that I have a baseline of experience and data before jumping into a technology that is more advanced than I am.

Peter

Unread 04/07/2010, 02:48 PM   #1188
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethargicCoder View Post
Thanks LethargicCoder, its great to have someone with a decent memory in the wings.

Peter

Unread 04/07/2010, 02:52 PM   #1189
Padrino
Registered Member

Quote:
The display room has normal HVAC. I presume you are concerned about the humidity and heat from the aquarium????

The design called for 24 hour negative air pressure to be maintained in the light cabinet above the tank. The air will be pulled into the fish room and then expelled through a dedicated HVAC system to the outside. Fresh air is brought into the display through another route. Pics will walk you through the whole process after we finish the electrical in the fish room.

I have decided to look into automated water changes after I have stabalized the entire ecosystem so that I have a baseline of experience and data before jumping into a technology that is more advanced than I am.

Peter
PETER,
I think this is a fantastic move and im sure you thank us all later. Could you expand a little on how your HVAC system will work? Im assuming you have a Heat recovery ventilator that will be creating that negative pressure? Also how did you and your team come up with this?

Great Work, excited to see the pics of the fish room once its completed. i think most of us are more excited about the equipment and teh room that houses it more than the display

Keep up the great work!
Rob

Unread 04/07/2010, 02:53 PM   #1190
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Veras View Post
Wow took me two days to finish reading this thread!!! or maybe we could say an essay with lots of info .... Peter you and your team are doing a great job. Keep up the good work... i wish you the best of lucky.
Thanks very much H.Veras. I hope the wordiness is not too overbearing.

We appreciate you support.

Peter

Unread 04/07/2010, 02:59 PM   #1191
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Pheeew. Done. I just spent the better part of this week reading this thread.... found the link in Chingchai’s thread and I’m blown away. I’m finding it hard to get work done lately reading all this. The posts are coming at lightning speed. Congrats on embarking upon a long journey and I hope you will find a way to integrate it into your life in a symbiotic way. I commend you on creating a community of sorts to assist in the development. The input as you’ve seen is invaluable. Looking forward to the progression and any insight I can offer along the way.
Thank you very much for joining in. I am so pleased when someone is introduced to Chingchai's thread. He really did raise the bar for all of us and this hobby will be better for it. I certainly am..............
We are honoured to have you with us and welcome any observations you may have as we go along.

Peter

Unread 04/07/2010, 03:19 PM   #1192
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post
PETER,
I think this is a fantastic move and im sure you thank us all later. Could you expand a little on how your HVAC system will work? Im assuming you have a Heat recovery ventilator that will be creating that negative pressure? Also how did you and your team come up with this?

Great Work, excited to see the pics of the fish room once its completed. i think most of us are more excited about the equipment and teh room that houses it more than the display

Keep up the great work!
Rob
I'll let John from DQI present the details as he is the architect of the fish room services infrastructure.

The fish room was actually more important than the Display in many respects. As most of you know by now, I was really blown out of the water by Chingchai's design. I'm pretty sure most folks who saw his initial plans didn't realize that his intention was that every single spectator would pass through his fish room before getting to the display tank. The fish room would be exposed to the casual observer 100 per cent of the time and not kept secluded away as an afterthought. It would have been much much easier for Ching to put the tank up front and the support equipment in back but he didn't. I thought that was a milestone in architectural design for this hobby and it was worth exploring further. So I have designed my fish room to be as interesting if not more interesting than the display tank itself from a spectator's point of view. Time will tell if I have been successful.

Thanks Rob and hang in for the details......

Peter

Unread 04/07/2010, 03:22 PM   #1193
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll let John from DQI present the details as he is the architect of the fish room services infrastructure.

The fish room was actually more important than the Display in many respects. As most of you know by now, I was really blown out of the water by Chingchai's design. I'm pretty sure most folks who saw his initial plans didn't realize that his intention was that every single spectator would pass through his fish room before getting to the display tank. The fish room would be exposed to the casual observer 100 per cent of the time and not kept secluded away as an afterthought. It would have been much much easier for Ching to put the tank up front and the support equipment in back but he didn't. I thought that was a milestone in architectural design for this hobby and it was worth exploring further. So I have designed my fish room to be as interesting if not more interesting than the display tank itself from a spectator's point of view. Time will tell if I have been successful.

Thanks Rob and hang in for the details......

Peter
its beginning to sound like your going to be charging admission

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 04/07/2010, 05:20 PM   #1194
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_hylinur View Post
its beginning to sound like your going to be charging admission
Actually Capn not a bad idea......let me see...........fish food...........light bulbs........salt, yes salt I could probably use some salt!!!

I know you folks think it should be beer, but......................wait for it.................fish don't drink beer!!!!!!

Peter

Unread 04/07/2010, 06:13 PM   #1195
H.Veras
Registered Member

[QUOTE=nineball;16914026]Thanks very much H.Veras. I hope the wordiness is not too overbearing.

Peter[/QUOTE

You are welcome... let's just keep the wordiness coming or just pay attention after you finish writing your wordiness so you won't have any mistakes...... BTW are you planning anything when the MONSTER is done? if you are please don't forget about me i will be there......

Current Tank Info: 90g tech series
Unread 04/07/2010, 07:34 PM   #1196
nineball
Registered Member

[QUOTE=H.Veras;16915145]
Quote:
Thanks very much H.Veras. I hope the wordiness is not too overbearing.

Peter[/QUOTE

You are welcome... let's just keep the wordiness coming or just pay attention after you finish writing your wordiness so you won't have any mistakes...... BTW are you planning anything when the MONSTER is done? if you are please don't forget about me i will be there......
I have a very strong feeling this never gets done...........But, I will find time to satisfy my growing salt bucket list.............a golf game in Australia, a special glass of wine in Thailand, a Brazilian BBQ to name but a few........ all hopefully with improved grammar and spelling for your benefit.

Peter

Unread 04/07/2010, 07:36 PM   #1197
Rybren
Registered Member

Don't forget a Beaver Tail in Ottawa!

Unread 04/07/2010, 07:55 PM   #1198
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybren View Post
Don't forget a Beaver Tail in Ottawa!
Rybren, done that, been there on the canal.......

Peter

Unread 04/07/2010, 09:25 PM   #1199
Chago09
Registered Member

WOW thats a lot of rock, next time I'm in Oakville I'll roll down my windows to see if I can smell all that rock curing LOL Don't park the bentley in the garage or your wife is going to do the following.

from what I see in the pictures, the lights and the top of the tank will be exposed to the entire basement. so to answer the other persons question, will you really need much ventelation? your furnace/ac will move the air around. Because your tank is even open to the upstairs from what I see in pics. Am I missing something? is there a closed equipment room?

Unread 04/07/2010, 10:02 PM   #1200
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chago09 View Post
WOW thats a lot of rock, next time I'm in Oakville I'll roll down my windows to see if I can smell all that rock curing LOL Don't park the bentley in the garage or your wife is going to do the following.

from what I see in the pictures, the lights and the top of the tank will be exposed to the entire basement. so to answer the other persons question, will you really need much ventelation? your furnace/ac will move the air around. Because your tank is even open to the upstairs from what I see in pics. Am I missing something? is there a closed equipment room?
Yes Chago, there are two equipment rooms..........one is a small closet sized area mostly filled with electronics at the moment. The second is closed, and insulated for sound, humidity and temp control. All humidity and heat will be totally controlled and managed with no latitude for escape into the house. There is still work going on so not all the final pieces are visible or in place yet. Soon, very soon, it will make sense and there will be pics so stay tuned.

Peter

Closed Thread