Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/25/2019, 10:18 PM   #1
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Algae turf scrubber and algae

Anyone have an ATS and still get algae ?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2019, 04:29 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

They work well but do not guarantee an algae free tank..

With enough time and patience an ATS can become the sole area in which algae grows and out competes the rest of the algae in the tank..

Unread 08/27/2019, 01:40 PM   #3
hkgar
Registered Member

I have an ATS and no algae.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2019, 04:12 PM   #4
Reincarnate
Registered Member

What's an ATS? Isn't the whole point to avoid "excessive" algae to begin with?

Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2019, 08:02 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
What's an ATS? Isn't the whole point to avoid "excessive" algae to begin with?
Algae turf scrubber...
If you encourage algae growth on a screen you can easily dispose/harvest it and control where it grows

Unread 08/29/2019, 05:12 PM   #6
Reincarnate
Registered Member

Why would you "encourage" algae growth? Can't you just nip it in the bud to begin with? Like chess, why make 10 moves when it can be done in 5? Hmm...

Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2019, 07:41 AM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

The purpose of the ATS is not to grow algae but to remove undesirable nutrients from the water (NO3 and PO4). It just so happens that it is done by growing algae.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 08/30/2019, 03:19 PM   #8
ClownReef®
Bubbletrousing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Why would you "encourage" algae growth? Can't you just nip it in the bud to begin with? Like chess, why make 10 moves when it can be done in 5? Hmm...
lol..

Forget 7 minute abs.. Im staring 6 minute abs!

I have an ATS and I also have zero algae in my display. I clean my glass panels every 4 days or so. I grow algae like crazy. I clean the screen once every 4 days. Massive clumps of algae but I also feed my tank really heavy.

Unread 08/30/2019, 08:30 PM   #9
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

I dont get why I have algae with my ats running

Unread 08/30/2019, 08:39 PM   #10
Mike Ordner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyrawg View Post
I dont get why I have algae with my ats running

There could be several reasons. Built up PO4 in your rocks. High NO3 and PO4 in your water. Overfeeding. Not enough predators (snails and or crabs) to eat it. Not enough algae eating fish in your tank. Tank not mature.

How long has tank been running? How long have you had algae problem? How long has your ATS been online?

Mike Ordner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2019, 09:01 PM   #11
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ordner View Post
There could be several reasons. Built up PO4 in your rocks. High NO3 and PO4 in your water. Overfeeding. Not enough predators (snails and or crabs) to eat it. Not enough algae eating fish in your tank. Tank not mature.

How long has tank been running? How long have you had algae problem? How long has your ATS been online?
Still built up phosphates in rocks after 1.5 yrs? Ats been running for 5 months now and is harvesting algae..the algae in tank at least is weak.. but still grows in dt..

Unread 08/31/2019, 06:48 AM   #12
Mike Ordner
Registered Member

Impossible for me to answer. Depending in your nutrient export, you could have higher PO4 in rocks then when you started. You said the algae is looking weaker in DT, then you are headed in the right direction. Give it more time. 5 months is really not a lot of time for your system to adjust to the ATS. Good luck.

Unread 08/31/2019, 03:23 PM   #13
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ordner View Post
Impossible for me to answer. Depending in your nutrient export, you could have higher PO4 in rocks then when you started. You said the algae is looking weaker in DT, then you are headed in the right direction. Give it more time. 5 months is really not a lot of time for your system to adjust to the ATS. Good luck.
Here's what it looks like on the screen

Unread 08/31/2019, 07:51 PM   #14
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Is that not a bit small of a growing area for your sized tank?

In the pic, it looks like the size of my hand.

I don't use the ATS anymore, I simply keep nitrate at 2-5ppm, phosphste below .1 and months later all algae gone and never returned.

Last edited by Uncle99; 08/31/2019 at 07:56 PM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2019, 02:32 PM   #15
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Is that not a bit small of a growing area for your sized tank?

In the pic, it looks like the size of my hand.

I don't use the ATS anymore, I simply keep nitrate at 2-5ppm, phosphste below .1 and months later all algae gone and never returned.
That's the size recommended by Turboaquatics

Unread 09/01/2019, 02:46 PM   #16
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyrawg View Post
That's the size recommended by Turboaquatics

Have you seen this for calculating screen and lights?

Unread 09/01/2019, 02:58 PM   #17
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I found ATS an fuges must be sizeable to have any real
Effect, need lots green growing to clearly out pace the DT

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2019, 04:54 PM   #18
laverda
Registered Member

How many hours a day you light your ATS makes a big difference. It sounds, like it I’d doing what you want, just not fast enough. Increase you light schedule an hour or 2 a day. I know with mine I can very quickly drive my nitrate and phosphates to zero by running my ATS lights 24/7. My corals were not happy then.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2019, 07:30 PM   #19
Mike Ordner
Registered Member

Something is off on your scrubber. You might ask Bud at Turboaquatics, but it looks like the middle part of your screen is getting too much light. Once the screen is mature, you should have thick green algae covering the entire screen. I suggest you either back off your light schedule or move the lights further from the screen until you see thick green covering all the screen. Once you get to that point, you can move the lights closer again.
Then the screen may well do what you are asking. Right now you are at about 50% efficiency of the scrubber. Again, Bud would be the one to get the correct answer from.

Unread 09/12/2019, 10:26 AM   #20
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverda View Post
How many hours a day you light your ATS makes a big difference. It sounds, like it I’d doing what you want, just not fast enough. Increase you light schedule an hour or 2 a day. I know with mine I can very quickly drive my nitrate and phosphates to zero by running my ATS lights 24/7. My corals were not happy then.
I like where you are headed with this.i run lights 24/7.. my sps look like crap.. I dosed fluk and have had ats offline for a week now.. I am trying to get nitrates to 5 or 10.
Maybe when i start ats again i will put it on a achedule..also maybe not run both ats and skimmer..I am also upping my blues from 30% to 80% but slowly..

Unread 09/12/2019, 05:56 PM   #21
ali1
Registered Member

I had algae in my DT until I introduced ATS. It took 3-6months for ATS to mature and be the primary place for algae growth. Overtime algae became less and less in DT

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote