Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/22/2016, 12:42 PM   #1
GoVols
Registered Member

AF Probiotic Salt Mix - Large Water Changes (Bacteria Blooms)

I used to use Tropic Marin Bio Actif. (It has a carbon source in the mix)

All was great. Felt like this was the best salt I ever bought at the time. Coral colors and growth was amazing. Skimmer was pulling some serious funk.

Later on I did a 50% total water change in two increments over two day period. 25% both days. Had the biggest bacteria bloom and took months to get rid of all the damage and HEARTBREAK.

So went to TM website and was noted to do 10% weekly water changes. So I figured I just carbon dosed the crap out of my reef with the large water change. My bad it didn't read instructions.

My question is...
Can AF Probiotic Salt do the same thing on a large water change like TM Bio Actif did to my reef?

I would be grateful for any and all input.

Current Tank Info: 2013-RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Kessil AP700 with S-Series led bar / Bubble King 160 skimmer / GEO 2-Stage Cal Reactor with GLA dual-stage regulator / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
GoVols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 03:01 PM   #2
2una
Registered Member

I think so.....i'm switching into probiotic now with 15% changes & seeing the occasional filament about the next day....also the substrate with the dark brown layer on the top i think is a sign of bacteria getting toward o/d area (my tank already has ProbioS in it).
For me i don't think i would push more than 15% a change & 3 days apart....but at that level & frequency its been ok for me but some warning signs are there.

2una is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 03:15 PM   #3
plyle02
Registered Member

I would not exceed any larger than 20% myself unless this was a new tank. There is aminos, bacteria, carbon source and vitamins in the Probiotic Salt. So yes, smaller water changes are much better when converting a tank

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 03:31 PM   #4
GoVols
Registered Member

Thanks for ya'lls input and honesty.

I have an older system.

One thing I've noticed, if you don't go carbon or probiotic from the start it can be a long and touchy process to convert over.

I have to be very careful with AF Pro Bio S and NP Pro.

Regards, GoVols

Current Tank Info: 2013-RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Kessil AP700 with S-Series led bar / Bubble King 160 skimmer / GEO 2-Stage Cal Reactor with GLA dual-stage regulator / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
Unread 11/22/2016, 06:23 PM   #5
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
I would not exceed any larger than 20% myself unless this was a new tank. There is aminos, bacteria, carbon source and vitamins in the Probiotic Salt. So yes, smaller water changes are much better when converting a tank
If I wanted to start over, slowly, moving to a carbon or probio salt mix...

Would there be a point where I could do large water changes without the worry of a bacteria bloom on a older reef?

Unread 11/22/2016, 06:36 PM   #6
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
If I wanted to start over, slowly, moving to a carbon or probio salt mix...

Would there be a point where I could do large water changes without the worry of a bacteria bloom on a older reef?
My conversion was simple and sweet, I began with a 20% water change using Probiotic Reef Salt, and then began with NP Pro and Pro Bio S from day 1. I also went live with AF Zeo Mix, AF Carbon, and AF Phosphate Minus, again, day 1. I also began use of AF Build, Amino Mix, Vitality, and Energy the same week... I by no means advocate this, but I sort of figured this all out by trial and error, back then it was very new to the states. All of that being said, I have run many different systems, and so far, I am amazed at how easy, and forgiving the system really was and is. You can hybrid, convert totally, or just use bits and pieces, really up to you. Cheers

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
Unread 11/22/2016, 07:06 PM   #7
GoVols
Registered Member

I already use Bio Pro S and NP Pro (Low Dose).
Use Rowaphos for GFO and Purigen in place of activated carbon.

Are you saying you converted over with a weekly 20% water change?

Unread 11/22/2016, 07:17 PM   #8
plyle02
Registered Member

Yes,
I acquired mostly all of the biological components of AF and began week one. Yes, very aggressive indeed, but that is where I found the system to be quite forgiving, I sort of expected declines, but found none. Again, I would suggest using care when converting any sps coral tanks over to a new system, and would always advocate 1/2 dose, but sharing my personal experience, FWIW.. Cheers

Unread 11/22/2016, 07:30 PM   #9
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Yes,
I acquired mostly all of the biological components of AF and began week one. Yes, very aggressive indeed, but that is where I found the system to be quite forgiving, I sort of expected declines, but found none. Again, I would suggest using care when converting any sps coral tanks over to a new system, and would always advocate 1/2 dose, but sharing my personal experience, FWIW.. Cheers
Thanks for sharing your experience converting over to Probio salt and other AF products.

I know you spend a lot of time helping all of us on this site and it's greatly appreciated!

Regards, GoVols