jtietz
Registered Member

For water changes do you reccomend using reef salt or probiotic salt

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jtietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2018, 03:13 AM   #427
Tastee
Registered Member

Hi, I am a fairly new reefer using Aquaforest Component 1+2+3+ and Aquaforest reef salt. My tank is now 8 months old and currently has 8 fish, 5 snails, 1 coral banded shrimp and 5 corals, mainly leathers and Zooanthids. Tank is 244L total including sump. My dosing demands are currently quite low and from month 2 I stabilised dosing all components at 8 ml/day. That kept Alk around 10 dKh, Ca around 450 and Mg around 1450 ppm.

In the last 3 months I stocked up the fish (prior to that just 3). This with some overfeeding led to some GHA, and Phosphates rising to 0.24 ppm. They are now back to 0.04 ppm and I am targeting 0.02 ppm. GHA is receding.

My question is the dosing. In the last month Mg rose to 1600 and Ca to 500 ppm. Alk however dropped to 7 dKh. In response I have dropped my component 1+ and 3+ to 6 ml, and increased my 2+ to 10 ml 2 weeks ago. That has dropped Mg to 1440 and Ca to 460 ppm as tested last week. Alk stayed 7 so I increased that to 12 ml last week. I will test again this weekend.

I am hoping the low Alk is due to the water quality issues, and with time and regular WCs will stabilise. I aiming for a target of around 8-9 at this time but will of course monitor the tank and that may change. My Ca target is ~420 and Mg ~1400.

Aquaforest recommend dosing all components the same, which I obviously have not done, so I would like to hear anyone’s thoughts on this.

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2018, 07:43 AM   #428
jtietz
Registered Member

My mag has always been high. I dose alk and cal now for a half year and my mag has never dropped. Its around 1500 with cal at 450 amd alk at 8.4. Not sure why
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastee View Post
Hi, I am a fairly new reefer using Aquaforest Component 1+2+3+ and Aquaforest reef salt. My tank is now 8 months old and currently has 8 fish, 5 snails, 1 coral banded shrimp and 5 corals, mainly leathers and Zooanthids. Tank is 244L total including sump. My dosing demands are currently quite low and from month 2 I stabilised dosing all components at 8 ml/day. That kept Alk around 10 dKh, Ca around 450 and Mg around 1450 ppm.

In the last 3 months I stocked up the fish (prior to that just 3). This with some overfeeding led to some GHA, and Phosphates rising to 0.24 ppm. They are now back to 0.04 ppm and I am targeting 0.02 ppm. GHA is receding.

My question is the dosing. In the last month Mg rose to 1600 and Ca to 500 ppm. Alk however dropped to 7 dKh. In response I have dropped my component 1+ and 3+ to 6 ml, and increased my 2+ to 10 ml 2 weeks ago. That has dropped Mg to 1440 and Ca to 460 ppm as tested last week. Alk stayed 7 so I increased that to 12 ml last week. I will test again this weekend.

I am hoping the low Alk is due to the water quality issues, and with time and regular WCs will stabilise. I aiming for a target of around 8-9 at this time but will of course monitor the tank and that may change. My Ca target is ~420 and Mg ~1400.

Aquaforest recommend dosing all components the same, which I obviously have not done, so I would like to hear anyone’s thoughts on this.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jtietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2019, 07:27 AM   #429
svandive
Registered Member

I have a quick question I hope, I recently migrated form Triton Core 7 dosing to the Component 1+, 2+, 3+. I'm a bit shocked at the levels I'm dosing. I have a 180 Gallon tank with a 7 - 8 rather small SPS and a couple of LPS. My rock is extremely well covered in Coraline Algae. I'm dosing today at 200ml per component and my dKH is just barely at 8. Under Triton I typically held my dKH at 9.

My concern is 200ml daily seems like a great deal of components to dose per day. Any thoughts or comments on this level int his tank? I know it's extremely hard to know what my tanks demand would be but under triton, my daily dosing averaged about 40ml per component.

svandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2019, 01:40 AM   #430
Aquaforest
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svandive View Post
I have a quick question I hope, I recently migrated form Triton Core 7 dosing to the Component 1+, 2+, 3+. I'm a bit shocked at the levels I'm dosing. I have a 180 Gallon tank with a 7 - 8 rather small SPS and a couple of LPS. My rock is extremely well covered in Coraline Algae. I'm dosing today at 200ml per component and my dKH is just barely at 8. Under Triton I typically held my dKH at 9.

My concern is 200ml daily seems like a great deal of components to dose per day. Any thoughts or comments on this level int his tank? I know it's extremely hard to know what my tanks demand would be but under triton, my daily dosing averaged about 40ml per component.
Hello,
Do you know your daily consumption of KH and Ca?
For 7-8 small SPS consumption is really high.

Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote