Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2018, 11:17 AM   #1
frey
Registered Member

Kessile H380, 180 DT, 90DT and 65 fuge thinking of trying Triton method thoughts?

Well it is the 4th rainy day in a row here in PA and I have been doing some additions to my 180, so figured I would post on it. I always wanted a decent sized refugium so when my friend agreed to move his 90 gallon cube and make it an addition to the 180 I figured this will be the perfect time to add a larger refugium.
We set in search of something to use for the fuge and temporary holding tank for his fish, corals, and live rock and found a used 65 at a local pet shop. price was right so in it came. Plumbed it to my sump and added a Vectra to support the new fuge and eventually his tank.
3 weeks ago the move happened and 2 weeks ago i got his tank set up and now the whole system is in place. Wednesday this week got a ball of cheato threw it in the 65 put my CFL bulb and a led fuge light on it to keep it alive until the 380 came in.
Ran these lights 24/7 for 2-1/2 days the 380 showed up yesterday and I installed and set up for reverse DT light schedule.
PH for 2.5 days prior was daytime 8.1 and 8.13 night 7.96 and 7.97 respectively. So not too much of a swing prior to adding the fuge it was 8.1 and down to 7.94 as a low.
Now for last night with the 380 and a baseball size piece of Cheato. 8.13 at 10pm when the 380 came on low of 8.5 throughout the night.
I am not to worried about PH anyways but I like to know I am getting some benefit when I spend a bit of money on something. Stability is king. I will try and get some Parameters of the tanks C,A,M as well as phos, nitrate and nitrite today while I am playing indoors. I am also probably going to remove the Chemi pure elite I use as it has GFO I just wanted to make sure the Cheato was not going to bleach out on me due to the intensity of this light before doing so. I will be honest i do not check Phos, Nitrite's or Nitrates hardly ever. If i start seeing more algae growing on the glass I used to do a water change of about 30% or dose more vodka. The last time i looked at them I had almost undetectable Phos, nitrite, and around 20 PPM Nitrate.
I am considering to go a modified triton method. Anyone else doing Triton with success? I am also moving from more of a mixed reef into mostly SPS with some LPS as I have been having good growth with my sps the last 1.5 years and would like to try something different.

I am very interested in everyone's thoughts and opinion's

frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 02:38 PM   #2
frey
Registered Member

Current parameters: as best i can tell red sea test kits.

Temp: 79.5
35 PPT Salinity (refractometer)
Cal- 400 ish
ALK- 7 DKH
Mag- 1300ppm
Phos- .01
Nitrate- 0
Nitrate- .2

Unread 02/24/2018, 02:47 PM   #3
frey
Registered Member

i also believe i am going to do a cryptic zone in the old fuge chamber since the fuge is in the 65 now. Anyone have a cryptic zone fuge and a cheato fuge running on the same system?