Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2018, 10:47 AM   #1
Jfranks09
Registered Member

Adding LED strip to ATI Fixture

i just got a nice ATI fixture was thinking about adding some LED strips to the fixture aside from the reefbrite any one have any luck with the cheap led strips? or anything a little bit on the less expensive side? I was even looking at the $7 tape strips. Can't really bring myself to spending a few hundred on just a LED strip for aesthetics.

Jfranks09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 10:57 AM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

They most likely won't cut through the T5's and do much of anything, not while T5's are on anyway, as fade up or a cool down, or moons maybe, but that's about it.

Also keep in mind heat may affect an LED's output or longevity, so mounted straight to fixture may not be ideal.

Even the reefbrights will require a couple to cut through the T5's to add shimmer or color enhancement.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 11:28 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If it ain't powerful you won't even notice it..

Shimmer is overrated IMO..

Unread 02/22/2018, 11:40 AM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
If it ain't powerful you won't even notice it..

Shimmer is overrated IMO..
To each their own I guess, when I first swapped MH for T5's I was happy w/ color and growth, but it always seemed flat, like something was missing.

When I added LEDs that made it shimmer as well as enhance color more, it made all the difference to me.

That's why I prefer a T5/LED combo myself personally.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 02/22/2018, 11:44 AM   #5
Jfranks09
Registered Member

yeah i was thinking as maybe just moonlight or when only my channel with 2 bulbs is on. i'm switching from a radions. might just bite the bullet and get 2 reefbrites.

Jfranks09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 11:59 AM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

I have a couple different LED add ons to my T5 fixture, 3x current USA moons just 2 sided taped to the fixture that works well for just moons, and 2 panorama pro LED strips that add PAR value as well as color enhancement and shimmer, not a lot of shimmer, but enough to add some sparkle and and make a difference to me.

I do think the reefbrites may be better than the strips I have, and may switch to those later down the road.

I do have my panorama pro's mounted separately not too close to the T5 fixture so heat does not affect them.