Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2018, 08:19 AM   #1
LeadFootedRacer
Registered Member

Peninsula build question

In the process of building a 40b peninsula. Livestock will consist of primarily zoas, and a pair of clowns. I will probably add more fish, but I’m still early in the build so i am not super focused on that list yet.

The back wall of the peninsula will be a foam rock wall, and i will come off of that down the center of the tank with LR. There will be passages thru the dividing LR wall, with plenty of room for swimming, hiding, and flow.

I am currently setting this up with a Mag5 return pump that is Teed into dual returns. I am looking for power head recommendations.

I originally had my eyes on 2 TUNZE 6040’s, but I’m wondering if that’s going to be too much. Any and all power heads will be on the back wall, masked by the foam rock wall. Would 2 TUNZE 6020’s be sufficient?

Need some pointers here. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeadFootedRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 08:55 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

It looks like their max flow is almost 1200 gph. That is 30x turnover per pump. They can be controlled of course. 2 6040s turned up will be more than sufficient.

It may be overkill, especially for zoas, but I like the idea of two pumps, so you can direct flow. You could also add SPS in the future.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 09:05 AM   #3
LeadFootedRacer
Registered Member

That’s why I was thinking of stepping down to the 6020 instead. Same pump, no control.

Unread 02/22/2018, 11:53 AM   #4
Fredfish
Registered Member

I had the smallest nanostream in a 40 breeder back when they first came out and one was enough to create a good gyre type flow in my tank.

If going for two pumps, I think you could even step down to the 6015 and still achieve very good flow. Two 6020s would certainly be enough.

I also like the idea of two pumps for more flexibility in creating flow patterns.

Unread 02/22/2018, 12:05 PM   #5
LeadFootedRacer
Registered Member

Do I need the controllability of the 6040’s tho? Or will 2 constant on be sufficient?

Unread 02/22/2018, 12:07 PM   #6
LeadFootedRacer
Registered Member

The shape of the 6020/6040 is a selling point for me. Will be easier to hide it in the foam wall, I believe.