Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2012, 11:38 AM   #26
rkesling
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
OK rkesling , your kinda coming off as rude. look at the ingredients list I have up... it says rock salt right? Sorry for calling it stone... I figured people reading it would understand what I was talking about. Sorry about not specifying.
Sorry man, not being rude, I just didn't get the rock thing. I would have thought the salt would have dissolved. I'm all for people trying new things, i would love to find a safer cheaper alternative to spending $1.70 - $2lb+ for dry reef rock. I'm all for people trying new DIY ideas.

I'll refrain from more posts here in your thread. I wish you luck with this experiment. I will subscribe and look forward to seeing results once you're able to put this stuff in your tank and do some testing. I look forward to other peoples thoughts and experience if anyone gives it a try.

rkesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2012, 03:47 PM   #27
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

It will be interesting to see what it looks like after 6 or 8 months in a reef tank, i.e. if coralline and other encrusting life grows on it or not.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2012, 07:17 PM   #28
Elijah
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
It will be interesting to see what it looks like after 6 or 8 months in a reef tank, i.e. if coralline and other encrusting life grows on it or not.

thanks, yes I will continue to play around with it and set up a small tank to experiment with how it holds up and what can grow on it

Current Tank Info: 90gal reef,30 gal. reefHex & 10 gal. nano reef
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 11:19 AM   #29
FLSharkvictim
Registered Member

Quote:
hello everyone! I'm currently refitting my 90 gallon reef tank . Building it back up from the ground up after being in basic training and AIT for a year then being deployed for a year to Afghanistan. So, that left me to with a lot of homework to do with all the new equipment and technology that is out there. To my dismay the already expensive hobby has become a whole lot more expensive! Paying at least 350.00 for just a hundred pounds of live rock... and that's a "good "price for these days. this left me a little concerned. So I decided to look for alternatives to live rock.

Agrocrete- cement, sand, crushed oyster shells and possibly rock salt.. a great way to make cheap fake live rock..
CONS- The curing time is two plus months and it still has the possibility to raise your aquarium's PH to unsafe highs. the PH of agrocrete is 11 while a safe range for your aquarium is 7.8-8.2 .

Foam-chemical free spray foam. who am I fooling.. this stuff looks, feels and smells fake. there are no upsides to this method and it starts breaking down quickly in saltwater. plus it floats without being weighed down..

Resin/acrylic - styrofoam, possibly wooden structure, even concrete structure then covered in resin or acrylic to seal in everything to keep the material from leeching
into the water. I've seen great results from this method.CONS - the finished product always seems to look glossy and leaves no porous material or place for beneficial bacteria to grow and thrive. The finished product seems to always be boyant and has to be weighed down sink.

This lead me to research on my own and to no avail finding a probable ,cheap, safe method to replace live rock with a product that will still have the benefits of real live rock. the best alternative I could find is agrocqete... there are hundreds of ways to make it but all of them include cement which leeches lime and keeps the Ph high... So I started trying to find a safe cheap alternative to a bonding agent to replace the cement, but with the same method as making agrocrete . So here goes... my own creation.
Quote:
OK rkesling , your kinda coming off as rude. look at the ingredients list I have up... it says rock salt right? Sorry for calling it stone... I figured people reading it would understand what I was talking about. Sorry about not specifying.
Well, check out my Center Show pcs that I had A friend make for my new 150 build. The material that he used has been tested b/c I have a already have had a few pcs in my reef tank for the last two years with ZERO ISSUES with leaching..

Anyways, I am going to give it a shot, making my own pieces of this Agrocreate and see how it comes out!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6104.jpg (48.0 KB, 10 views)

Current Tank Info: SCA Rimless 150 Mixed Reef

Last edited by FLSharkvictim; 02/21/2018 at 11:32 AM.
FLSharkvictim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agrocrete, liverock, oyster, sand, silicone