Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/12/2015, 10:38 AM   #51
JoesTank
Registered Member

If you have access to a 3d printer, take a look at this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:210756. You can get a stepper motor and a driver for about $15 from eBay, and a few more bucks for the rest of the parts from a hardware store. So total cost for the unit would be around $20 max.

If you don't have a 3D printer, you may want to consider getting one, it could be very handy

JoesTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2015, 11:11 AM   #52
karimwassef
Registered Member

I'll post my latest drawings this weekend. I have the motor, so some fabrication can start.

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2015, 06:54 PM   #53
karimwassef
Registered Member

Here's the current design. This is as simple and easy to build as I see myself making

photo 2_zpsjlwubcdx.jpg photo 1_zpsefqlsqvz.jpg

It comes in three parts. The faceplate, the injector box, and the test box.

photo 3_zpsgo1ho7to.jpg

Here's a view without the faceplate

photo 4_zpsugyt78xz.jpg

Here's the injector box without the walls

photo 5_zpspzgtnxjv.jpg

Here's the test box

photo 6_zps1sasoi7v.jpg

It has the motor with a shaft and an off-center coupler to a plate with a hole in it. This rotation is only 0.5" in diameter to get a swirl going.

The plate is sandwiched between two other plates and the side walls have notches to allow the swirler plate to line up.

I drew the test tube in four different swirl orientations superpositioned.

Here it is without the walls

photo 7_zpsildgcnsd.jpg

photo 8_zpsbvikxngf.jpg

The green board behind the test tube is the color sensor

Here's the swirl mechanism alone

photo 9_zps16gh2dim.jpg

Unread 06/12/2015, 06:58 PM   #54
karimwassef
Registered Member

the test tube bottom is glued with a soft rubber and the bottom has a tube for export

I'll have to experiment to see if any liquid goes down the tube during test. If it does, I may need to add an actuated valve to keep it clear until the test is finished.

Unread 06/12/2015, 07:00 PM   #55
karimwassef
Registered Member

Here's the connected unit

photo 1_zpsaq3d2e9q.jpg

Unread 06/12/2015, 07:21 PM   #56
bobbravo2
Reef Addict

Cant wait to see it materialize. Subscribed

Current Tank Info: 65 Gallon | Radion Pro G3 | MP40 | MP10 | Apex | Jaebo DC9000 | KNOP Calcium Reactor | Mated Picasso Clowns | Mix of LPS, SPS and Softies
bobbravo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2015, 05:11 PM   #57
karimwassef
Registered Member

Actuators stuck at the post office needing a signature. Lost the weekend.

I've got the acrylic, motor, Uno, relays, and syringes. I'll take pics once I have the actuators

I am struggling with the inputs and outputs on the Uno. Going to Mega would simplify things, but I already have the Uno and want a proof of concept first.

I think I need a startup sequence where I use a doser pump to fill a small container with fresh saltwater each time I run a new test. This is because I want to separate the main tank from the test setup... Still thinking this through.

I may have to jettison the RODI to flush and export and just use saltwater. Any input on this would be welcome...

Unread 06/15/2015, 07:21 PM   #58
karimwassef
Registered Member

photo 0D69124D-FB37-4722-A56A-0FBA7021C0E0_zpsef4d00aq.jpg

Unread 06/15/2015, 09:29 PM   #59
karimwassef
Registered Member

I can probably get this to work with an Uno, but it's too constricting.

I'm going to the Arduino Mega instead.

If anyone has experience with sensor shields to convert quadrature encoder output, please share it. I'm going to code it for now, but I would like to learn more about it.

Unread 06/15/2015, 09:41 PM   #60
karimwassef
Registered Member

Here's the map of channels ... this is why I had to go Mega

photo 1_zpsw9tbfwap.jpg

Unread 06/15/2015, 11:29 PM   #61
karimwassef
Registered Member

photo 2_zpsypbzqwui.jpg

photo 1_zpsaemw5dod.jpg

It's not complete, but it's a start

Unread 06/15/2015, 11:30 PM   #62
karimwassef
Registered Member

Since I'm using a relay board, I'm skipping the components to drive the relay and making the "connection" straight to the board.

Also not including cleanup capacitors to ground. That'll come after I get a clean concept up and running.

Unread 06/16/2015, 06:41 AM   #63
formula409
Registered Member

Can you link up the actuators, Ill have a look

formula409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2015, 06:47 AM   #64
formula409
Registered Member

Have a look at how this guy has made his microfluidic chip/LOC
Interesting approach to colorimetric tests
His detector system is nice too

https://hackaday.io/project/4693-medical-tricorder

formula409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2015, 11:31 AM   #65
karimwassef
Registered Member

http://www.naimotion.com/mm3mex.htm

Here's the datasheet

http://www.naimotion.com/PDF_folder/...ges/mm3mex.pdf

Mine is the 6V 0.5"

Unread 06/16/2015, 11:40 AM   #66
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Actuators stuck at the post office needing a signature. Lost the weekend.

I've got the acrylic, motor, Uno, relays, and syringes. I'll take pics once I have the actuators

I am struggling with the inputs and outputs on the Uno. Going to Mega would simplify things, but I already have the Uno and want a proof of concept first.

I think I need a startup sequence where I use a doser pump to fill a small container with fresh saltwater each time I run a new test. This is because I want to separate the main tank from the test setup... Still thinking this through.

I may have to jettison the RODI to flush and export and just use saltwater. Any input on this would be welcome...
I think you'll need to flush the test tube with RO to get a clean test otherwise it would be like not rinsing your vials when testing the old fashioned manual way....and build up salt and test solution residue very quick.

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2015, 03:38 PM   #67
karimwassef
Registered Member

I usually wash with my new saltwater before starting a new test. This way, I don't contaminate my tubes with tap water or even dilute with RO.

I would flush at the end of a test with the current batch of saltwater. I would also flush before the next test with new saltwater.

Unread 06/16/2015, 03:51 PM   #68
jeromeit
Registered Member

woah... riding along.. .this looks amazing!

jeromeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2015, 03:54 PM   #69
jeromeit
Registered Member

Hmmmm... I wonder if the output info can somehow make another controller like the apex respond.. I guess it could via IFTTT

jeromeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2015, 05:22 PM   #70
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
I usually wash with my new saltwater before starting a new test. This way, I don't contaminate my tubes with tap water or even dilute with RO.

I would flush at the end of a test with the current batch of saltwater. I would also flush before the next test with new saltwater.
I agree flushing with new saltwater to be tested is also advisable, just like manual testing, though rinsing after the test with RO or better still actual distilled water would be even better to keep any salt from drying out and causing a build up over time. Depends on how easy and often you can inspect and replace the test vial though as it probably adds an extra step or two of complexity to the operation. but if running unattended for a long time I'd do it.

Unread 06/16/2015, 05:24 PM   #71
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeit View Post
Hmmmm... I wonder if the output info can somehow make another controller like the apex respond.. I guess it could via IFTTT
I'd think it would be easy enough to generate an alert or remotely viewable results one way or another given the wireless and endless other communication options from arduino. I'd never trust it to make any adjustments to the tank chemistry remotely though without first verifying first hand.

Unread 06/16/2015, 05:33 PM   #72
karimwassef
Registered Member

So I was planning on using an output to close a relay to act as an input short to the Apex.

The idea being to eventually be able to control dose kalk based on a calculated need from the results.

So, let's say I want an Alk of 9 and I'm at 7, I know the amount of kalk needed to get there. I also should know the rate of my dosing pump.

Based on that, I can determine the length of time I need to dose. Break that into hourly events - say 2mins every hour and create triggers for the Apex.

pH probes would act as an alarm to override in case of a problem.

It may even be possible to add part A and B independently to dial in both Alk and Ca.

I'll need a lot more confidence in the accuracy and repeatability over time first.

Unread 06/16/2015, 06:49 PM   #73
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
It may even be possible to add part A and B independently to dial in both Alk and Ca.

I'll need a lot more confidence in the accuracy and repeatability over time first.
That's the part that worries me, if any one of the sensors involved failed it could be very bad while your away for long periods of time.

slow downward shifts in CA, ALK, and PH are much less of an issue on a tank your size than what might happen if things failed and your system though it needs to in correctly raise levels. You could program in some safeties to advert fast shifts upwards or put a cap on boost doses, but if it kept going long term that way the result could be a very dead tank after a few weeks......

Unread 06/16/2015, 07:51 PM   #74
karimwassef
Registered Member

Agreed. The good thing about having the arduino is that I can create more sophisticated alerts than I can with the Apex.

For example, capping a max daily dose on Apex is impossible to program. It has no way to sum up on time based on a measured variable. All I could do was limit the output per hour and then check hourly. This means that if I need a little more late in the day, I can't- even if I haven't dosed at all during the day.

I can add cumulative time on the Arduino and trigger an alarm and stop any more dosing until I override.

I also tried to program 'sudden change' alarms in Apex... Impossible. But I can program nearly anything for the arduino.

I also have two pH probes on the Apex that act as an alarm with a backup.

For an overdose to happen, this tester would have to fail, not catch the sudden change, not limit the daily dose and both pH probes would need to fail...

Not impossible, but very low probability. If all that does happen... Someone has it in for me!

Unread 06/16/2015, 09:09 PM   #75
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Agreed. The good thing about having the arduino is that I can create more sophisticated alerts than I can with the Apex.

For example, capping a max daily dose on Apex is impossible to program. It has no way to sum up on time based on a measured variable. All I could do was limit the output per hour and then check hourly. This means that if I need a little more late in the day, I can't- even if I haven't dosed at all during the day.

I can add cumulative time on the Arduino and trigger an alarm and stop any more dosing until I override.

I also tried to program 'sudden change' alarms in Apex... Impossible. But I can program nearly anything for the arduino.

I also have two pH probes on the Apex that act as an alarm with a backup.

For an overdose to happen, this tester would have to fail, not catch the sudden change, not limit the daily dose and both pH probes would need to fail...

Not impossible, but very low probability. If all that does happen... Someone has it in for me!
knock on wood.......