Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2018, 02:34 PM   #1
js1976
Registered Member

Lighting with Black Boxes

I'm sort of a newbie considering it's been about 10 years since my last reef. (Father forgive me)

Lights have obviously changed the most over the years. When I left the hobby, it was uncertain if corals would thrive under LED's. Well we all know the answer to that.

I've been reading a lot of your comments regarding lights, and have seen many reference the very affordable black box lights. I just bought a 60 gallon tank, and would need two Viparspectras, but don't really want to hang them from the ceiling. Has anyone done anything else. or are there rails that they can attach too?

I was looking at AI primes before reading comments about the black box lights.

js1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 02:40 PM   #2
js1976
Registered Member

I saw on another thread that someone made a rack out of these.

https://eztube.com/online-catalog/

Unread 02/21/2018, 02:43 PM   #3
hijinks
Registered Member

blackboxes will grow coral just fine.. just the light spread isn't as good as a high priced fixture. Like you get a ton of light right under but it doesn't spread as nicely.

The big downside to them is they are made of cheap parts so leds might fail. I've seen housing start to rust.

I've seen them on SPS dominate tanks and the corals are all doing great.

hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 02:52 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

because I actual read your question unlike ^^ somebody
I will just point you to google images where you can search for numerous "mounting" solutions that people have done with their black box LEDs..
That could be conduit mounting bars to 80/20 extrusions to aluminum channel mounts..
In general though most are DIY solutions as to date I have seen very few "off the shelf" mounting legs,etc.. for those types of lights..

Start with a google images search for the following 2 strings..
1)black box led mounting
2)aquarium led mounting
etc...
You should find hundreds of images.. (I did when I searched for those 2 strings)

Unread 02/21/2018, 02:53 PM   #5
tjm9331
Registered Member

I don’t have the viparspectra lights but I do have a pair of cheap Chinese lights, I used metal electrical conduit to build a hanging system for them. I sprayed the conduit with plasti-dip to help prevent rusting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 03:22 PM   #6
js1976
Registered Member

I'll take any input I can get, because I was also concerned about the quality as well.

Really trying to figure out if it's worth saving the money, or just buying the Ai's and mounts.

Unread 02/21/2018, 03:38 PM   #7
JohnZena
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1976 View Post
I'm sort of a newbie considering it's been about 10 years since my last reef. (Father forgive me)

Lights have obviously changed the most over the years. When I left the hobby, it was uncertain if corals would thrive under LED's. Well we all know the answer to that.

I've been reading a lot of your comments regarding lights, and have seen many reference the very affordable black box lights. I just bought a 60 gallon tank, and would need two Viparspectras, but don't really want to hang them from the ceiling. Has anyone done anything else. or are there rails that they can attach too?

I was looking at AI primes before reading comments about the black box lights.
I took a caninet door measuring 96"X15"", bought metal decorative shelf brackets. To the brackets i bolted 1"X2"X24" oak. I then hung my black boxes from the oak. Quite unique and good looking. I wish i could post a picture.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

JohnZena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 03:41 PM   #8
JohnZena
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll take any input I can get, because I was also concerned about the quality as well.

Really trying to figure out if it's worth saving the money, or just buying the Ai's and mounts.
My 3 appear to be made well. They have improved alot recently. They arent high end by any stretch but some are made decent.

Unread 02/21/2018, 03:43 PM   #9
JohnZena
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZena View Post
My 3 appear to be made well. They have improved alot recently. They arent high end by any stretch but some are made decent.

13 inches above the tank does a 24" X 24" spray. I run mine at about 60 percent. They are bright.

Unread 02/21/2018, 04:21 PM   #10
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Would a MarsAqua fixture be considered a black box? If so I've had one over my standard 20 gallon tank for almost two years now and couldn't be happier. (especially for the price) Went from a 175 watt MH bulb & two 24 watt T5's to this. So far so good.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 04:30 PM   #11
js1976
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZena View Post

What kind are yours?

Unread 02/21/2018, 04:31 PM   #12
js1976
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
Would a MarsAqua fixture be considered a black box? If so I've had one over my standard 20 gallon tank for almost two years now and couldn't be happier. (especially for the price) Went from a 175 watt MH bulb & two 24 watt T5's to this. So far so good.
From what I understand, yes it would be a black box.

Unread 02/21/2018, 04:42 PM   #13
js1976
Registered Member

I just discovered the SB reef lights. I like that they include mounting legs.

For my tank they recommend a single 32 inch light for growing clams and sps, what's the group consensus?

Unread 02/21/2018, 04:48 PM   #14
JohnZena
Registered Member

Quote:
What kind are yours?
I have Willsled. The Mars Aqua are supposed to be good. I like mine alot. Very vivid, good light spread, brilliant blues, 2 dimmers.

Unread 02/21/2018, 04:59 PM   #15
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I have had both mars aqua and oceanrevivellc ones.. both are black box lights and both worked great.. my ocean ones are easily 4+ years and still work just fine..

I do run ATI T5's though now just because I wanted to..

Unread 02/21/2018, 06:33 PM   #16
LeJeune981
Registered Member

I run 3 no name black boxes on my 90

I've got them attached to the inside of my hood with good ol Spider Wire out of my tackle box lol

Hey mcgvr..

You ever heard of "d-suny" lights?

I found some on amazon for a decent price.. posted a question in the lighting forum. But didn't get any responces..

They seem to be a step up from a normal black box.. they are programable...and silver lol

To the OP
Check out those lights... very reasonable prices.. and seem pretty good to my untrained eye lol

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 04:49 PM   #17
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
...and would need two Viparspectras, but don't really want to hang them from the ceiling...
Conduit does a fine job. as long as you have access to a bender.

the good news is they can be found cheap in the classifieds. you probably know someone with one in the garage. unless you are under 30. then ask your parents.

HTH

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 08:11 AM   #18
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:

I debated the same thing, I googled myself silly with black boxes. I was going to get a reef breeder 4ft light (which is a quality light), then decided on the AI prime hd's. I'm not an sps junky and like lps and zoa's more so I saw no need to spend more money and run the light at 30% capacity

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote