Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2014, 08:02 AM   #1
dinger28
Registered Member

New IN WALL 300 gallon build!!

The time has finally come!! New house = new IN WALL tank! Moving into the house in a couple of weeks so I wanted to start the "build" thread. Little background information. The wife and I moved near the Charlotte area to be closer to family. With another child on the way, FREE daycare was too good to pass up! We actually built the house around the tank. My father in law and I will have to build a mini-fish room in the garage around the tank.

We've had a 240 for a couple of years, but it was only 6 foot long; and for the fish we wanted to keep I really wanted an 8 footer. The tank (8ft by 2ft by 2 and a half ft) is coming Saturday and more pics will be uploaded when it arrives. Bought all of the wood for the stand, and will be using Randy's design, plus a couple extra braces for my own POM.

"Equipment" List:

Reef Octopus Regal 220INT 9" Protein Skimmer
BRS 75gpd 5 stage plus RO/DI system
Mag 7 and Mag 9.5 for return pumps
4 Evergrow D120 LED lights
5 powerheads in the tank circulating 8,000 gph in different wave patterns
160 pounds (will be adding more later on) of live rock...has been in holding tanks for almost 2 months getting ready! Making 2 islands with the rock.
280 pounds of live sand
Custom made sump with filter socks

Livestock:
Fish I already have in holding includes:
4 inch Naso Tang
5 inch Dsjardini Sailfin Tang
3 inch Annularis (changing to adult!)
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
2 inch Flamehawk Fish

Fish I would like:
Couple more tangs..Yellow and Gem possibly
Blueface or Emperor (know they can be mean so not sure yet)
Lyretail Anthias trio with male
Magnificent Foxface
Potter's Angel or Multicolor Angel
Sailfin Blenny
Sand Sifting gobies

I really want the fish to thrive so won't be adding too many fish to the tank....at least I don't want to; lol.

Have 2 60 gallon pickle barrels for water changes. 1 for RO/DI and the other for saltwater. I'm having 2 extra holes drilled in the back of the tank for easy water changes. 1 will be to empty water from the tank and the other will come from the Saltwater barrel to pump water back into the tank. After doing a timed test, this should take 8 minutes to do a full 60 gallon water change. Will have true unions on the pipes leading into both holes in case I need to change out the pipes for cleaning, etc.

More pictures will come later today and this weekend. Please let me know if you have any suggestions with my setup, as I am still "new" to the hobby, but always welcome anything that will make the setup better! Reefcentral has been so good to me and I am able to set up this tank because of the great threads that people on here have posted!! (SDguy, Hedgedrew, Slief, snorvich, just to name a few. Thanks!

dinger28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2014, 08:38 AM   #2
dinger28
Registered Member

Mods please delete this thread. I opened a new one with pictures.

dinger28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
300 gallon, fowlr, in wall build