Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/26/2015, 02:45 AM   #251
Lipsontherun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Is anyone on here building these for sale?

or can someone provide just a easy to search list of acceptable make and model parts, so it would make it easier to search for these parts, I find myself having to go back and forth searching thur this thread.
Some kind of list like:
Regulators:
Gauges:
Solenoids:
Niddle valves:
Where are you at? I was looking to put my couple extra with my home built CR as a package deal. But if you need one I might be able to find a way to just build another. I have had my eye on a slimline model.

Current Tank Info: 240/30 mixed
Lipsontherun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2015, 01:34 PM   #252
herring_fish
Crazy Designer

I need help!

I hope that this is the right place to post. I have read many many pages about regulators. I get the concepts but there are so many part numbers that they all run together. Then when I go to ebay, what I am looking for is nowhere to be found.

This may not be the best way to go but I want to get a Stainless Steel Dual Stage body with a Planted Tank electronic regulator. The PT digital regulator, by itself, goes for a full retail of $209. A digital setup instead of the needle valve just fits my personality.

I have been advised that I should go all new but I don’t know if my budget can handle it. If I have an SS model, I’m not sure if a used unit would be a bad idea but perhaps I need to be encouraged (beaten up little) to understand where I need to spend the money. On the first page of this thread I saw the Victor SGT500 (SS), Matheson 3810 (SS), Concoa 432 (SS) but I also saw some good equivalent units. I don’t care so much about actual brand names but I am concerned with quality. I see that some people get new stuff at a great price.

Right now, my budget is very loose at about 3 to 6 hundred, including the electric box but it could go up if needed. On the other hand, I see people finding a steal in stainless steel.

All that being said, I need help finding parts that I can actually buy. I would love it if someone would take a little bit of profit to shepherd me through to a good quality finished regulator at a great price.

Would someone please help me?

herring_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2015, 09:50 PM   #253
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by herring_fish View Post
Right now, my budget is very loose at about 3 to 6 hundred, including the electric box but it could go up if needed. On the other hand, I see people finding a steal in stainless steel.

All that being said, I need help finding parts that I can actually buy. I would love it if someone would take a little bit of profit to shepherd me through to a good quality finished regulator at a great price.

Would someone please help me?
Patience is your friend if you're looking for a deal. You end up paying for convenience and speed. Deals can be found on eBay, but they go fast. You can definitely save if you go brass over stainless.

Volunteers, Blackhawks, Titans, Cubs!!!!

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
ct_vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 05:13 PM   #254
alanle
Registered Member

Off topic a bit...where do you guys buy those blue reservoir bins?

alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 09:09 PM   #255
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

These?

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you're close to a ULINE facility, it's tough to beat the price.

Also, when I lived in TN we had a condiment packer close to us. We could get food grade barrels dirt cheap. Had to bleach them and then clean with vinegar, but it got the job done.

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
Unread 04/01/2015, 01:26 PM   #256
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_vol View Post
These?

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you're close to a ULINE facility, it's tough to beat the price.

Also, when I lived in TN we had a condiment packer close to us. We could get food grade barrels dirt cheap. Had to bleach them and then clean with vinegar, but it got the job done.

Yes! How do you install the float valve? It looks like you cant remove the lid.

Unread 04/01/2015, 01:45 PM   #257
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

They have different types. Some with removable lids, others without. If you can fit your arm in the one with the closed lid, it's easy to install the float valve at the top. Otherwise, you just cut a hole. Jigsaw or Reciprocating both work well...

Unread 04/01/2015, 02:02 PM   #258
lighthouze08
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2490674

Unread 04/01/2015, 05:46 PM   #259
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
They have different types. Some with removable lids, others without. If you can fit your arm in the one with the closed lid, it's easy to install the float valve at the top. Otherwise, you just cut a hole. Jigsaw or Reciprocating both work well...

Thanks! I have a sprectrapure maxcap ro/di system but didnt know that these systems were not designed for pressurized ro tanks. So I need to get a reservoir. By the way their customer service is horrible. You have to leave a voicemail and they will call you back using a skype number. I'm questioning the way they run their business.

Unread 04/01/2015, 08:28 PM   #260
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Can you use a booster pump to utilize a pressurized tank? That's the way I have my drinking water set up.

I've never been much of a fan of Spectrapure. To me, they were a great company for reefers 10 years ago that never evolved. They had the highest quality ro/di units, but as other quality competitors came on, they didn't alter their prices or step up their service to compensate. The same can be said of their Litermeters.

Another alternative for water storage are storage tanks designed for Agricultural use.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/m/produc...rage-tank.html

Unread 04/03/2015, 11:11 AM   #261
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Can you use a booster pump to utilize a pressurized tank? That's the way I have my drinking water set up.

I've never been much of a fan of Spectrapure. To me, they were a great company for reefers 10 years ago that never evolved. They had the highest quality ro/di units, but as other quality competitors came on, they didn't alter their prices or step up their service to compensate. The same can be said of their Litermeters.

Another alternative for water storage are storage tanks designed for Agricultural use.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/m/produc...rage-tank.html
This one might work. It has an opening on the bottom. I can run my water pump line through it.

Unread 04/03/2015, 11:49 AM   #262
LuisPerez711
Registered Member

Hello everybody. This thread has inspired me to build my own regulator for my new calcium reactor that I just received and wow there is so much i didn't know about the regulators. so thank you to all for this mountain of information that you have given us.

i just saw this auction on a regulator and was wondering what your opinion might be on this model. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matheson-CGA...item4ae6b052aa

LuisPerez711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2015, 02:35 PM   #263
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisPerez711 View Post
Hello everybody. This thread has inspired me to build my own regulator for my new calcium reactor that I just received and wow there is so much i didn't know about the regulators. so thank you to all for this mountain of information that you have given us.

i just saw this auction on a regulator and was wondering what your opinion might be on this model. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matheson-CGA...item4ae6b052aa
This regulator will work. The shipping fee is a bit high. It's not stainless steel. Seller is not taking return. Meaning you're stuck with this regulator if it has a leak. So consider these factors.

Unread 04/03/2015, 04:19 PM   #264
LuisPerez711
Registered Member

I ended up getting these two (one for me and another for my buddy).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231245134475...475%26_rdc%3D1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261668788437...437%26_rdc%3D1
I know that they arent the SS models but Ill have mine outside of my sump area so I'm hoping that will help somewhat lol Returns are excepted and I haggled on the price and got free shipping.

Unread 04/03/2015, 04:20 PM   #265
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
I ended up getting these two (one for me and another for my buddy).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231245134475...475%26_rdc%3D1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261668788437...437%26_rdc%3D1
I know that they arent the SS models but Ill have mine outside of my sump area so I'm hoping that will help somewhat lol Returns are excepted and I haggled on the price and got free shipping.

Nice regulators!

Unread 04/03/2015, 04:21 PM   #266
LuisPerez711
Registered Member

Haven't been able to find any of the burkert solenoids on ebay so i might just have to buy them new. But I'll keep looking i still need all the other connections. By the way, where did you order those bubble counters that attach to the meetering valve?

Unread 04/03/2015, 04:23 PM   #267
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Haven't been able to find any of the burkert solenoids on ebay so i might just have to buy them new. But I'll keep looking i still need all the other connections. By the way, where did you order those bubble counters that attach to the meetering valve?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261560967664?nav=SEARCH

Unread 04/03/2015, 04:27 PM   #268
LuisPerez711
Registered Member

Awesome! so i didn't do too bad...and of course this is all thanks to you guys! Few questions regarding these regulators. I see that they both Have the same high and low pressure specs and was wondering what the real difference is between the two of them. I was looking on AIRGAS.com and the Y12-SR145D is labeled as a smart indicating regulator but since it doesnt come with the rest of the doo dads is it just like the Y12-244D? Also, is the second knob, the one after the regulator, really needed?

Unread 04/03/2015, 04:29 PM   #269
LuisPerez711
Registered Member

thank you for the link! Much appreciated

Unread 04/08/2015, 11:45 AM   #270
alanle
Registered Member

Here is the stainless steel whitey 22 series needle valve. This is a very rare valve and will work great. This is a hot item. If you are looking for a good needle valve, this is the one.

Unread 04/08/2015, 12:13 PM   #271
rynoe
Registered Member

Thanks Alan. 111641705074 is now sold. Now I just need to find a regulator.

rynoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 12:23 PM   #272
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynoe View Post
Thanks Alan. 111641705074 is now sold. Now I just need to find a regulator.

Here is a really nice concoa 312 regulator. The working condition is unknown and seller is not taking return. The condition still looks really good. Do you want to gamble? I wouldnt pay more than $40 for something like this.

Unread 04/08/2015, 12:36 PM   #273
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Awesome! so i didn't do too bad...and of course this is all thanks to you guys! Few questions regarding these regulators. I see that they both Have the same high and low pressure specs and was wondering what the real difference is between the two of them. I was looking on AIRGAS.com and the Y12-SR145D is labeled as a smart indicating regulator but since it doesnt come with the rest of the doo dads is it just like the Y12-244D? Also, is the second knob, the one after the regulator, really needed?

As long as the regulator is a dual stage and you are good to go. Some regulators are made of stainless steel, assembled in a clean room, equipped with better parts for specific use. Both of the airgas regs you are looking at are dual stage. Just dont get the one with high working output pressure. Below 100 psi is good.

Unread 04/08/2015, 07:29 PM   #274
rynoe
Registered Member

Well I took a gamble and picked up the concoa 312 for $50. Hopefully it tests out ok.

Unread 04/09/2015, 11:41 AM   #275
rynoe
Registered Member

Well the deal fell through so back in the hunt for a regulator.