Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2016, 04:59 PM   #76
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthReefer27 View Post
question for your dosing pump connection to the dosing reservoirs from BAO. the BAO containers have hard RO tubing coming out but the dosing pumps use softer tubing. perhpas I am making this harder than it is, but I can't seem to figure out the best way to do it.
I have some of these coming in to try I ordered the small ones which should work but I will know better when they come in on Monday or Tuesday

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mur-lo...hose-stem.html

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2016, 05:17 PM   #77
DaveRaz
Reef Rookie

I love the ATI mounting job you did. Do you mind sharing more details of that project? I am running one in a canopy as well and its a pita every time i need to access the tank.

DaveRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2016, 05:32 PM   #78
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRaz View Post
I love the ATI mounting job you did. Do you mind sharing more details of that project? I am running one in a canopy as well and its a pita every time i need to access the tank.
Sure but as with anything I wish I had taken more pics during the process.

As is I used these for the length so that the fixture sits on these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bol...1790/202183466

I put corner bracing on the one end:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...5444/202034217

On the ends I used these. I cut them in half and doubled up both ends for strength:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bol...8040/100337901

On the end where the splash shield slides out I put these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...5215/202033926

The last two were important as I mount them on one point so that they can rotate down ever so slightly and allow me better access to pull out the shield.

The frame was mounted to these sliders: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Liberty-2...2405/205171306

I had to use some 2x4 to allow me to drop everything low enough to give clearance for the cord.

I also had to go with a 48" unit so that I had space on the sides of the light for cooling since the unit exhausts from the opening on the shield so have to keep clearance there and room directly above it for air circulation.

Here are a couple more pics and a short vid. Though I moved the Kessils later from the video as they did not fit well with the eurobrace.

Video: http://vid4.photobucket.com/albums/y...psedzvf6vo.mp4

Last edited by soulpatch; 08/09/2017 at 10:32 AM.
Unread 02/06/2016, 06:24 AM   #79
boostedvq
Registered Member

awesome build, however I really like what you did with your lights! I'm going to have to steal that idea!

boostedvq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2016, 09:53 AM   #80
soulpatch
Registered Member

Thanks Boosted. This entire tank is a bit of trial and error as I attempt to add things to make the tank more efficient. I am sure I will redo some of the things I am doing but that is part of the fun. The downside is that the build is taking MUCH longer then I thought to get fish and such into it. At this rate it will be end of March until I have fish in the tank.

The biggest win is if I can get the apex mounted in a somewhat organized fashion on my panel.

Speaking of panels the electrician is coming next Monday to install my 20 amp GFI line for the tank as well as a transfer switch and outdoor panel for my generator.

Unread 02/08/2016, 09:04 AM   #81
soulpatch
Registered Member

I removed my apex from my other tank but with the big game yesterday did not have a chance to mount to the new panel which I did cut down to size. Still trying to plan everything out with it though as to where things will go and what makes the most sense.

I swapped out the power strip on my water change station with one that has on/off toggles for each outlet. This way I can leave on the heater and powerhead without the main pump running.

I wired up the Kessils in the hood and powered them up as well to see where they would hit. Honestly it was just good to see light in the tank as it made it feel closer for me. I will be putting the bulbs in the ATI tonight to fire that off as well. Not going to leave the lights on but I do want to see how everything blends together.

Throughout this week will be hooking up the apex and getting everything wired together. and testing various float switches. The only piece of electronics I will wait on is my doser and its' containers. I dont have to wire them up at this point and frankly dont see doing so as a good use of time.

The 5 gallon tank is out of my back room and filled so I can move my corals and fish over and take down the Biocube. That should be happening this week as well.

Unread 02/08/2016, 02:21 PM   #82
DaveRaz
Reef Rookie

Thank you!

DaveRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2016, 02:24 PM   #83
soulpatch
Registered Member

No problem. Though I need to take more pics on special projects like this for documentation.

Let me know if you need any particular pics or closeups of anything and I will get them for you.

Unread 02/10/2016, 08:37 AM   #84
DarthReefer27
Registered Member

Just wondering what you used and how you set up the return and overflow connections in the overflow box. do you have any pictures of it?

Unread 02/10/2016, 09:17 AM   #85
soulpatch
Registered Member

You mean in the actual overflow?

I have a drain which is about 6 inches from the bottom and at this point is just a piece of pipe. I will add a strainer when I get to my LFS to pick one up.

The emergency is the middle pipe and has 2 45s at the top so that it is recessed behind the return T.

The return is a 1 inch pipe with a T at the top. Off the T I reduce to 3/4 inch with a threaded bushing. The locline screws into that.

I did have to break a tooth on the overflow on each side to account for the slightly larger locline but I was fine with that. None of my fish should get sucked in and if they do I can account for that later.

I dont have pics but I can try to get some this week as I mess with the tank.

Unread 02/10/2016, 09:23 AM   #86
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
I have some of these coming in to try I ordered the small ones which should work but I will know better when they come in on Monday or Tuesday

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mur-lo...hose-stem.html
Darth - These don't work. The Pac Sun hose is too thin to fit on the barb. I guess I could try to go to a larger gauge hose and I might consider that later but for now I pulled the red RODI line out of the BAO container and merely put the Pac Sun tubing in its place. Not sure why I didn't think of that before spending some money but it should solve the issue for now.

I still might rethink this when I get to the stage of needing to dose in the tank though. Hell by the time I need to dose I might have moved on to a calcium reactor too so who knows. I like toys and new things. HA HA

Unread 02/10/2016, 09:27 AM   #87
DarthReefer27
Registered Member

Quote:
Darth - These don't work. The Pac Sun hose is too thin to fit on the barb. I guess I could try to go to a larger gauge hose and I might consider that later but for now I pulled the red RODI line out of the BAO container and merely put the Pac Sun tubing in its place. Not sure why I didn't think of that before spending some money but it should solve the issue for now.

I still might rethink this when I get to the stage of needing to dose in the tank though. Hell by the time I need to dose I might have moved on to a calcium reactor too so who knows. I like toys and new things. HA HA
great. thanks for the update.

Unread 02/10/2016, 11:51 AM   #88
chgoblknazn
Registered Member

I love how well thought-out this build has been. It makes me want to redo my entire system. I definitely need to incorporate some of your ideas into my current setup. Great job!!

Unread 02/10/2016, 12:00 PM   #89
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgoblknazn View Post
I love how well thought-out this build has been. It makes me want to redo my entire system. I definitely need to incorporate some of your ideas into my current setup. Great job!!
Thanks. I'm glad this has helped or given ideas to you and others. My wife and daughter are starting to get impatient. It's tough when a 3 year old asks you where the fish are and when you say its not ready yet the infamous toddler "But why daddy" start....

I stumbled my way through my nano and with more equipment, much larger budget, and grander aspirations I wanted to take my time. It is getting stale now though in all honesty. I want some life in there.

I am still trying to figure out the final layout for the electronic panel and once that is up things will begin to speed forward as EVERYTHING will be hooked up and coded in the apex.

Unread 02/16/2016, 08:33 AM   #90
soulpatch
Registered Member

Well some progress was made. Bulbs are in the ATI, both Kessils are wired up (waiting on the connection cables though), ATO is online and working wonderfully, both reactors are mounted and plumbed up (BRS soft silicone kit FTW), RODI moved and upgraded to 6 stage, and most importantly the new electrical outlet and generator switch wired up.

The tank has shown zeros on ammonia and nitrite the past couple of days even with light ghost feeding. I will be dosing up the ammonia tonight to see if it processes it in 24 hours. I have yet to have any algae outbreaks though which is both awesome and bad at the same time. Without some algae I am hesitant to purchase any CUC and without them my tank still looks barren. At this point once I hook up the lights my tank is fully operational even though I have not yet moved the apex over.

I was going to work on the tank this past weekend but my lovely wife decided to go to a happy hour Friday night and then go see a movie with her GF on Saturday so I was on daddy duty all weekend. Sunday instead of working on the tank I took my little one to the aquarium so we could see some of the fish I want in the tank. She REALLY things we should add a shark though. HA HA.

I was off yesterday but with the electrician I got no work done as they were in my basement and around the tank wiring things up most of the day.

I need to get a good large funnel for my ATO container. Right now I have issues pouring into it where it sits in my stand and with the neoprene base it is not wise to be pulling in and out. So I need to address that so I can pour water into it before it drains. It holds 7 gallons and I have a float alarm go off around 2 gallons.

What I need this week is a solid few hours so I can plan out my electrical panel with the apex mounted. I was going to do a slide out panel but after thinking about it, it might be more hassle then it is worth as I would have to leave wires loose to make the slide. I am unsure what I will attempt now but I need to make a decision soon.

Unread 02/17/2016, 08:07 PM   #91
soulpatch
Registered Member

OK little to no work on the tank thus far as I am awaiting some free time Friday night.

That doesn't stop progress though as refugium starter kit, snails, hermits, shrimp, and fish have been ordered and should be here Saturday. I need to grab anther tank or two for QT but otherwise ready to go.

The tank needs a large water change Friday night to clear some of the nitrates but otherwise cycle looks to be completed.

Unread 02/17/2016, 09:49 PM   #92
soulpatch
Registered Member

Ugh more money thrown out the door to get items I needed to replace for TTM and some treatment for the incoming fish. I have to pick up another 20 gallon tomorrow or Friday to be ready.

Also ordered a replacement tunze ATO ump as mine is quite loud and I want a backup regardless.

Excited that the tank is coming together and within the next 50 days I will have fish in the tank.

TTM - 12 days
Prazipro - 7 days
QT/Observation - 30 days

It will be hard to have fish out that long but I want this done right. With the amount I just spent on these fish and the tank in general I want to insure I get off on the right foot.

Unread 02/19/2016, 09:10 AM   #93
ReefWreak
Registered Member

More money to save money. Store of my life. At least you're protecting their lives too with that.

I should look into prazipro. When I go with my big tank, I know I'll need to be doing TTM + Prazi, and maybe + QT/Obs in a secondary tank, so I think you're definitely making the right setup there.

Too bad you need a 20g tank when there isn't a $1/Gallon sale...

Have you thought about doing the Tunze Kalk reservoir that goes in-line with their ATO pump feed lines instead of dosing the ATO container directly?

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2016, 09:26 AM   #94
soulpatch
Registered Member

I have thought about the res but I have a doser so when I start to have issues with numbers I will just turn to the doser and kick that on.

As for QT tank I grabbed another 10 gallon set up with hood, light, filter, and such for $20 from Petsmart. They didn't have the 20L in stock yesterday but it is coming in today and it is only $23 so while not a $1 per gallon it is close enough.

I will use my 2 10 gal tank set ups for the TTM then use either both of the 10 gals for my treatment and QT or put the 20 into service.

I think I might build a simple stand for the tanks as well. I have some 2x4 left over and some 3/4 inch plywood sitting around so probably break out the tools for a quick weekend build. That way the tanks are off the floor.

coming in tomorrow are:
various cuc consisting of snails and hermits. (I wanted snails only but wife wanted hermits as well since my daughter likes them. Meh just buy more snails throughout year as hermits eat them I guess)
Refugium startup pack
Blonde Naso Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Kole Tang
Pajama Cardinals

Note - I am aware that tangs generally dont like one another but I am hoping but introducing them together that this works out. If not my father or my LFS both have large tanks which would welcome a fish should it not work out.

I have my LFS looking for a bonded black ice clown pair for me and I will swap out my current single black ice. He is also looking for an australian harlequin tusk. I know that the tusk will eat some of my CUC but they are cheap and the fish is by far my favorite.

Later additions will be a mandarin and blue head jawfish (possibly)

Unread 02/19/2016, 09:46 AM   #95
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Blonde Naso Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Kole Tang
He is also looking for an australian harlequin tusk. I know that the tusk will eat some of my CUC but they are cheap and the fish is by far my favorite.

Later additions will be a mandarin and blue head jawfish (possibly)
Now things are getting interesting....

As much as I don't like ghost feeding or continuing to feed the nitrogen cycle, if you're adding those three big boys at once, you may want to keep peaking the nitrogen cycle every few weeks so it's ready for them. 150 gallons is a lot of water, so I think it'll be fine, but I'm a little nervous.

I'm also super excited to see if the harlequin tusk works out. I love them as well, but wouldn't dare put them in a reef tank, but I want to see this work! I'm sure it can. I'd also like a boxfish, but don't think that will work either. I guess that's why long-timers have a reef tank (or three) and a FOWLR system.

Unread 02/19/2016, 09:56 AM   #96
soulpatch
Registered Member

The tusk leaves corals alone and only messes with CUC so I am cool with that.

And yes the 150 is getting a large water change to bring my nitrates in check and then the CUC will be going in and being fed in there so that the cycle continues. I believe I will be moving a good portion of my corals over once I hook up the apex and as such they will be getting fed as well.

I have the ability to keep up with water changes almost daily so I can keep levels fairly in check as the tank continues to stabilize. I also have rock from my nano that I can use in the refugium portion of my sump to aid in stabilization as well.

Right now not too worried about it. I will get some more stability when the fish are ready to be going into the big tank as a safety net so to speak...

Unread 02/19/2016, 09:57 AM   #97
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Yea, I guess I didn't consider that the fishes are going into separate QT tanks and the CUC will keep the nitrogen cycle going. I'm sure it'll work out fine.

Unread 02/19/2016, 12:48 PM   #98
soulpatch
Registered Member

Still trying to decide if I send the CUC through the TTM as well. The environment is not the best for them to go through it so still trying to decide on that one and I have to hurry.

I believe the CUC comes from a different facility for LA as it is shipping from Florida so I might be able to risk it. Still undecided though.... I have till tomorrow morning to think it through so any and all thoughts welcome....

Unread 02/19/2016, 12:52 PM   #99
ReefWreak
Registered Member

If you haven't put any fishes in the 150 yet, then why TTM the snails if there aren't any fishes? Isn't it TTM by default if the tank is fishless for 12 days?

Unread 02/19/2016, 12:54 PM   #100
soulpatch
Registered Member

no. TTM works since you are getting rid of the eggs as you swap tanks. They can survive for some time without a host which is why you need to go fishless for 72+ days if your tank has ich breakout.