Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/08/2018, 12:07 PM   #26
snuffie381
Registered Member

I did return the fish to the same tank after the dips, but I was dosing Paragard to that tank as well. Today I'm going to do General Cure and move the fish to a new tank after.

snuffie381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2018, 12:30 PM   #27
Louis Z
Registered Member

When using paraguard I dose the conc dip for an hour as the bottle states then move the fish , I haven’t used it as a long term in the tank treatment.

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2018, 09:13 PM   #28
snuffie381
Registered Member

For Quick Cure the dip dosage is 20 drops per gallon...10x the standard dose? Any idea how long to dip fish specifically for flukes?

Unread 10/09/2018, 05:09 PM   #29
Louis Z
Registered Member

I would say minimum of 20 but max of 45. Make sure you aerate and watch fish closely, again don’t put fish back in same tank. several treatments may be needed . Post your results

Unread 10/09/2018, 10:50 PM   #30
snuffie381
Registered Member

How do I dispose of the Quick Cure dip?

Unread 10/09/2018, 11:28 PM   #31
Louis Z
Registered Member

Down the drain . I possibly would use that dip mixture more than once . I don’t think anything lives on in formalin especially if it does knock them off. Maybe someone else might comment

Unread 10/10/2018, 11:59 AM   #32
snuffie381
Registered Member

FW dipped just now and a couple flukes came off. I think I'm just gonna FW dip every day for now as they don't really seem to stress out and redo the Quick Cure(if necessary) in 7 days.

Unread 10/11/2018, 01:55 PM   #33
lagatbezan
Registered Member

I have not use quick cure but have 37% formalin plenty of times before. you would dose 20 drops per gallon and use as a bath for 30-50 min max. Remove the fish if it shows sign of stress. aerate the water heavily before and during the entire bath. after the bath, the fish should be transferred to a new sterile qt. Transfer only the fish and no equipment. Repeat 5-7 days latter.
Try not to breath in formalin. Its a known carcinogenic.
In my experience paraguard has been a total waste of money and failure. Never has worked to resolve any disease or parasite.

Current Tank Info: 300g

Last edited by lagatbezan; 10/11/2018 at 02:01 PM.
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2018, 06:47 PM   #34
Louis Z
Registered Member

Lagatbezan . I tried the conc dip of paraguard only for elimination of flukes . Prior to that I was dipping in fw and that seemed to work but the fish always scared me. They showed signs of distress or maybe just I was anxious and didn’t want to lose them . So switching to paraguard and using it in the bag for an hour with slight aeration allowed me to eliminate flukes. They haven’t showed symptoms of stress. For sure the fish I got had flukes because I saw them scratching at the store . Now I never tried it for other things like ich or velvet.

Unread 10/12/2018, 09:11 AM   #35
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Z View Post
Lagatbezan . I tried the conc dip of paraguard only for elimination of flukes . Prior to that I was dipping in fw and that seemed to work but the fish always scared me. They showed signs of distress or maybe just I was anxious and didn’t want to lose them . So switching to paraguard and using it in the bag for an hour with slight aeration allowed me to eliminate flukes. They haven’t showed symptoms of stress. For sure the fish I got had flukes because I saw them scratching at the store . Now I never tried it for other things like ich or velvet.
Louis was it a prazi resistant strain of flukes that you used paraguard on and had success with? did you do 5 days of hypo as well prior to treat flukes? if so thats amazing and good to know that it might actually work in this case.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2018, 10:29 AM   #36
Louis Z
Registered Member

I am following OP Snuffie initial post he said he used cupramine then followed with prazipro. He said he dropped salinity but you recommended lower salinity. He says he still had flukes. My protocol had been to use FW . Then at the suggestion of paraguard conc dosing, I went out and tried it on my fishes flukes and it worked . I haven’t personally encountered prazipro resistant flukes . All of my simple methods have always worked when I have transferred the dipped fish to new tanks. They go in flashing and come out fine . I just thought the fish looked less stressed with paraguard.thats why I recommend it now . But my fall back will be 2 to 3 min FW dip. I have been recommending general cure at each new transfer in TTM because it has praziquantel and metronidazole . I want to get rid of protozoan infections and internal worm infections . metro is indicated for protozoan infection in humans . Whether it gets high enough in internal dose to do that - I don’t know . I wonder if metro attacks ick in its protozoan swimming stage in the water

Unread 11/26/2018, 07:26 PM   #37
snuffie381
Registered Member

Well it looks like I didn't have the salinity low enough the first time around for hypo. Did it again for one week and still have flukes. The water is about 74 degrees Fahrenheit, and don't know if that was somehow a problem. I also single dosed Prazipro on the second day and General Cure on the third. Prazipro, hypo, Paraguard, Formalin, Prazi times 2, 3 and 4x dose. I just bought Mardel Clout on Ebay for $71. My main tank has been empty since June 26...

Unread 12/01/2018, 08:11 AM   #38
Louis Z
Registered Member

Snuffie . Give us an update on what you have done recently . I will have to ask how many fish are affected and what state are they in? Are they eating ok? Tell me again on how you dip with FW or paragaurd . Time in solution? Are you transferring to a different tank after dipping . If you used clout, how have the fish fared?

Unread 12/19/2018, 04:16 PM   #39
hottuna
Registered Member

I usually bring my salinity down to 1.012 and leave it there for a week...Been working good for me.
Remember fish can still flash after the flukes are gone due to irritated skin/gills at the site the flukes were...

Unread 12/20/2018, 10:22 AM   #40
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Formalin dips is what I would recommend, 50 mins long with a air stone. I have also used a med called Clout that has worked well for hard to kill flukes

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2018, 04:39 PM   #41
Louis Z
Registered Member

I will have to remember that . DMorty . That is some tough med . I used that on FW corydora and their skin melted off . So that may not have same affect on marinefish .

Unread 12/21/2018, 08:35 AM   #42
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Z View Post
I will have to remember that . DMorty . That is some tough med . I used that on FW corydora and their skin melted off . So that may not have same affect on marinefish .
It is a tough med but I haven't came across anything that can survive it disease wise. I have came across flukes that weren't touched by Praziquantel several times, even at double the recommended dose

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cupramine, formalin, gill flukes, prazipro, quarantine