Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2012, 07:51 PM   #1
AquaticEngineer
Registered Member

Cool Video of my Giant Pacific Octopus

Caught the GPO out cruising when I was taking photos of livestock to ship out the other day so I got a video of him

GPO out for a stroll in Damascus Oregon

AquaticEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Breadman03
New Old School

They fascinate me, but I think I should wait for a couple years before I make an attempt with one.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2012, 04:31 PM   #3
AquaticEngineer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
They fascinate me, but I think I should wait for a couple years before I make an attempt with one.
Well when you are ready for one let me know. I can get them just about anytime

Unread 05/16/2012, 07:21 AM   #4
ilv4xn
Registered Member

As a fellow Portlander growing up in Boring. I have to ask. Do you need any kind of tag or permit? or do you just drive down to the beach and spend the day diving?

Current Tank Info: 50gal
ilv4xn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2012, 08:24 PM   #5
AquaticEngineer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilv4xn View Post
As a fellow Portlander growing up in Boring. I have to ask. Do you need any kind of tag or permit? or do you just drive down to the beach and spend the day diving?
Depends on what you are going for and what you want to do with it. I can collect just about anything on the Oregon coast and sell it with the permits I've got now.

If you want to collect for personal use and not for resale you are allowed to take up to 10 unclassified invertebrates per person per day with no licensing at all, not even a shellfish license is required.

If you want fish or octopus you will need a fishing license. If you want clams or large game inverts like dungeoness crab you need a shellfish license.

I try to make a weekend out of my trips and time them with the best tides to make the most out it.

Current Tank Info: Coldwater Cube thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2358372 Timelapse video of the tank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3IW8Z7eBPI
Unread 07/04/2012, 03:17 PM   #6
CoralReeferGal
Registered Member

are octopuses really as hard to keep as i've heard? they absolutely fascinate me, and i desperately want one... but afraid of how hard it is to actually keep one (aside from having a completely sealed off tank... thats no problem lol)

Unread 07/04/2012, 09:24 PM   #7
AquaticEngineer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralReeferGal View Post
are octopuses really as hard to keep as i've heard? they absolutely fascinate me, and i desperately want one... but afraid of how hard it is to actually keep one (aside from having a completely sealed off tank... thats no problem lol)
Completely depends on what species and your level of dedication. I found my GPO to be extremely easy to keep and take care of.

But thats because he was plumbed into a 500 gallon system kept at 55 degrees and I have access to as much live food as I want to feed him. I also didnt keep him to the point that he was a size problem.

Current Tank Info: Coldwater Cube thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2358372 Timelapse video of the tank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3IW8Z7eBPI

Tags
coldwater, octopus, pacific, temperate