Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2019, 08:31 PM   #1
mute246
Registered Member

Question Sailfin Tang with huge bubble behind eye (pics attached)

Hey there guys, new to forums here.

I'm reaching out because I recently threw myself into the saltwater side of this addictive hobby (after finding an insane deal on an online marketplace, and not being able to pass up the opportunity for yet another tank!! ) I already find myself with questions that my 16 years in freshwater can't quite relate to.

Not long after finding my dream-style tank, I also ran across someone on the afforementioned market selling fish that looked like they just weren't being cared for. Jumped on the chance to save them, since there i was with a fresh tank ready to welcome whoever I so pleased. I brought the fish home (with as much of their tank water as I could) and got to work to try and give them some stability !

Now.... I noticed the sailfin tang with a somewhat blurry eye, and a small air bubble right behind it. After watching this guy for about a month (he's eating super well, shows some aggression towards others (shows his gorgeous fins often), and is very social when I walk in the room), I've noticed that the bubble behind his eye seems to come and go every few days. Sometimes it's almost gone, sometimes it's huge. Well, today I've had enough - as it's huge, and am turning to this forum for help.
I don't believe it's a disease, since it's unilateral (the other eye is perfect) and I'm not sure of the cause, since I only got him a month or so ago, and water params have been solid (79 degrees, 1.024sg, pH 7.8-8.0, nitrate 0, ammonia 0-0.25max). Coraline is growing, pulsing coral and duncans are happy, as are the tomato clown, red-tip hermits, pistol shrimp and turbo snails.

Indents are noticeable on the lateral line and around the healthy eye, which led me to assume hole in the head disease. But, when researching these symptoms in saltwater fish, it doesn't seem to neccessarily point to the disease, but issues with water params and stability instead. The holes and lesions on the lateral line have filled quite a bit, and seem to be leaving, but the eye bubbles seems to have no rhyme or reason.

I've attached some photos for clarity.
ANY help would be sooooo appreciated. (sorry for the quality, my SD card adapter decided it was time to fritz)

Keep on fishin',
Matt

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (37.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (38.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (46.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (29.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg image5.jpg (40.4 KB, 27 views)
mute246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2019, 08:37 AM   #2
FishAndPhysics
Registered Member

You might post this in Fish Disease. Some of the real experts may not check here.

Unread 02/20/2019, 01:13 PM   #3
hkgar
Registered Member

How large is your tank? A salifin tank will grow to over a foot and should be in no less than a 240 gall;on 8 foot tank to provide the swimming room they need.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1946079

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2019, 05:29 PM   #4
_salty_
Registered Member

You should probably check him for flukes and treat accordingly if the dip turns up positive.

_salty_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2019, 06:07 PM   #5
mute246
Registered Member

This thread was reposted in ‘diseases’ and it turns out that it is flukes... fish are now getting ready for quarantine... will be about 6 weeks till I move them back in to avoid recontaminating.

Thanks everyone for the help; life savers !
Matt

mute246 is offline   Reply With Quote