Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/05/2014, 11:08 PM   #301
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The caulerpa racemosa var. peltata. The new growth is different from the old growth. It's more compact. Maybe it will grow back to that size, but I'm betting its shape changed to adapt to brighter lighting in this part of the tank.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2014, 11:08 PM   #302
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The grasses are still pretty small, but they look like they're getting established and growing a little. This is pretty much what I expected. Hopefully I'm providing favorable conditions for them.

I really look forward to seeing them sway in the current when they get bigger!

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 10/05/2014 at 11:25 PM.
Unread 10/05/2014, 11:48 PM   #303
karimwassef
Registered Member

How are you creating wave motion again?

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2014, 12:35 AM   #304
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Don't really have any wave motion. Right now I've got a mild gyre flow around the tank. My Tunze powerhead in the fake root blows water along the back wall, right to left. My canister filter output blows across the front glass, left to right. Once the the plants get firmly rooted, I'll start the main pump, giving me as much current as I want.

The idea with gyre flow is to simulate tidal currents, rather than wave action. Like in a mangrove lagoon. I like the simplicity of the design, getting plenty of water movement, with no pumps or plumbing visible.

Unread 10/06/2014, 01:34 PM   #305
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The seagrasses are growing! I'm seeing new blades on all three species. Isn't it nice when things go according to plan? Whew, what a relief! I was seeing a little growth before, but new blades is even better!

With the exception of the Botryocladia (red balloons), the red macros are all doing well. The botryocladia looks like it might not make it. It has turned mostly white and shed most of its balloons, so maybe some new plants will pop up around the tank in time. It's definitely the 'canary in the coal mine' so far.

These are better results than I had with my first planting of my fresh water planted tank! A lot better. I'm probably a better aquarist now than I was when first started the FWPT, and this may be premature, but I am ready to draw a somewhat surprising conclusion:

Marine Planted Tanks are easier than Fresh Water Planted tanks.

Unread 10/06/2014, 06:02 PM   #306
karimwassef
Registered Member

Where are your numbers? pH, Alk, NH4, NO2, NO3, PO4? Temp? PAR?

Unread 10/06/2014, 10:31 PM   #307
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Temp is 80f, salinity 1.020sg. That's all I'm monitoring at the moment.

I do take the time to thoroughly inspect the tank everyday. I'm trying to read the conditions by observation. So, at this early juncture I don't see the need to monitor the numbers. Later, when I think cycling is complete, I may test to confirm.

Everything appears pretty normal for a 2 week old tank. Better really, with the plants doing pretty well. With no fish load, I'm easing into the nitrogen cycle. Starting slow like this with animal load will hopefully prevent a micro algae bloom, and give my plants a competitive edge.

Unread 10/07/2014, 05:04 AM   #308
karimwassef
Registered Member

Are you putting in a skimmer?

Unread 10/07/2014, 05:06 AM   #309
karimwassef
Registered Member

Do you know if your red balloons like the lower salinity?

Unread 10/07/2014, 05:22 AM   #310
JLynn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
The seagrasses are growing! I'm seeing new blades on all three species. Isn't it nice when things go according to plan? Whew, what a relief! I was seeing a little growth before, but new blades is even better!

With the exception of the Botryocladia (red balloons), the red macros are all doing well. The botryocladia looks like it might not make it. It has turned mostly white and shed most of its balloons, so maybe some new plants will pop up around the tank in time. It's definitely the 'canary in the coal mine' so far.

These are better results than I had with my first planting of my fresh water planted tank! A lot better. I'm probably a better aquarist now than I was when first started the FWPT, and this may be premature, but I am ready to draw a somewhat surprising conclusion:

Marine Planted Tanks are easier than Fresh Water Planted tanks.
Yay! It is great to see growth in the seagrasses so early.

Shame about the Botryocladia, though. One of my favorite macros. I hope you are right about it putting up new plants from the "balloons" it disseminated.

I really hope that that conclusion is premature, since I am looking to get a freshwater planted tank soon! Though a mostly-mossy tank probably won't be be any trouble...

JLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2014, 08:52 AM   #311
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I have no plans to use a skimmer. I'm hoping I won't need one. I want to 'skim' the tank with filter feeders, like sponges, tunicates, gorgonia, and the like. Not to mention the plants. Protein skimmers remove a lot of the stuff that the filter feeders eat. I'm trying to keep the gadgets to a minimum, and use natural processes to 'filter' the tank.

That said, as the tank matures over the years, I may need help keeping it in balance. So, I could add a skimmer later if needed. But the overall plan is for the tank's inhabitants to filter it for me.

Also, I've been studying up on a continuous water change system. This looks like an ideal solution to the 'problem' of water changes. I realize that this is just another form of gadgetry, but water changes are important, and I hate doing them!

The Botryocladia appears to be the most sensitive of the plants I have so far. I don't know if the lower salinity is contributing to its decline or not. I haven't been able to find a lot of care information on any of the red macros. I should redouble my efforts. I suspect that because keeping these plants is still in its infancy in the hobby, there just isn't that much info available yet.

I think the Botryocladia is the least adapted to change, of the reds I have. And my tank is very new, with water conditions in flux. Plus, I've moved them around a lot, which I'm sure they don't like. So, if I were to sum up my recommendations for caring for this particular plant, I'd say don't introduce it until your tank conditions are stable, give it mediumish light levels, lowish current velocity and resist the urge to move it!

Thanks for the questions, Karim. Keep 'em coming!

Unread 10/07/2014, 09:51 AM   #312
saltwater sam
Registered Member

I also don't run a skimmer on my system, my plants and algae uptake any nutrients from the water column very quickly. I have botryocladia in my system, and right away it had some die off, but it will come back I promise.

It's actually gone systemic, invading my filter! Give it some time it'll do great!

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon SW mangrove/macro planted tank
saltwater sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2014, 10:22 AM   #313
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks, saltwater sam. Good to know. Have you been able to draw any conclusions about their care requirements? I'm all ears!

Do you have a tank thread? I'd love to hear your experiences. How long has it been up? Order of plant/animal introductions? Anything you'd like to share would be great.

Unread 10/07/2014, 10:35 AM   #314
saltwater sam
Registered Member

Sure, here's my thread!
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2401567
My current tank has been up for about 6 months, but I've been keeping sw aquariums for 11 years. I'm a botanist and aquarist so I found a way to combine those two in my tank.
As far as care for the botryocladia, it's basically been a set it and forget it type of deal. Like I said, after I got it it started to lose its "bubbles" but I think that was for reproductive purposes. New bubbles and stalks grew out of the old ones, and new colonies started to form in other parts of the tank.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon SW mangrove/macro planted tank
saltwater sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2014, 10:39 AM   #315
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yay is right, JLynn. I am thrilled with the luck I've had so far. I probably am a bit premature in saying that, but if this is the hard part, I'll take it! Again, I'm hopefully a better aquarist now, so things tend to go easier. The 'old' me would probably have 20 fish in the tank by now, along with a blanket of cyanobacteria and hair algae!

I think it's great you're doing a FWPT. It's a great learning experience for future projects, and the 'lessons' are a lot less expensive!

One word of warning on java moss, if that's what you plan to use. You better love it, because once it gets going, it can never be eradicated. I added some to my FWPT early, when I was struggling to get anything to grow, and over the years I fought a losing battle to get rid of it. Another plant I regretted planting was dwarf hair grass. I decided to go with a different ground cover plant, and I was never able to get rid of it. That's my two cents!

Unread 10/07/2014, 10:53 AM   #316
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Great, Sam! I'll check it out. No fair you being a botanist. It must be fascinating to practice what you've learned in this hobby!

Now that I have moved it everyday for the first week, I've left it alone. I think the shedding of balloons is also a survival strategy. When the plant's not happy, it sends out 'pioneers' to find 'greener pastures'. It's reassuring to hear that the old stems will eventually sprout new growth.

Now I'm off to read your thread!

Unread 10/07/2014, 09:29 PM   #317
karimwassef
Registered Member

A tank where algae is your friend... Like speaking Martian to me.

Unread 10/07/2014, 10:18 PM   #318
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I enjoyed reading your thread, Sam! Your mangroves are beautiful. And your macros look great as well. Nice work! Using bonsai techniques to keep the tree the size you want is pretty neato!

I went looking for more info on Botryocladia care. I found a little but not much. Seems it's adaptable to varying lighting intensities, with specimens in different parts of a tank thriving, despite very different light levels. Medium, rather low current seems to be ideal, and it may like higher nutrient levels. It is said to be a great nutrient uptake plant, and a great food for tangs, etc. So, we'll see.

I'm starting to get some micro algae and some red cyanobacteria. I took my turkey baster and sucked some out with it. I have mixed emotions about it. On one hand, I'm trying to avoid the stuff like the plague. On the other, I have 20 Cerith snails coming and I don't want them to starve. It's an interesting challenge, getting the cleanup crew to balance with the algae load.

When I look at the two previous paragraphs, I see two reasons to increase water movement velocity. Maybe it's time to turn on the main pump. The seagrasses are rooted, so I think they'd be fine. The reds, however, don't root. They form holdfasts, and I don't think any of them has yet. They're just held in place by putting them between a rock and a fake mangrove root. I guess I could tie them in place with fishing line, but I don't like the look of that. Maybe I should try some superglue gel.

Luckily, I can throttle the pump way down to start, and turn it up gradually over time. But you can bet, with more current, stuffs gonna break loose and tumble around the tank. So I'm reluctant to turn it on. But I'm anxious to see how my gyre flow scheme works! Yet I don't want to disturb the reds! I think the solution is to start preparing the plants for the higher flow rate, and turn on the pump after.

Unread 10/07/2014, 10:31 PM   #319
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ha, ha, Karim! You crack me up. Love the comic relief!

Have you gotten your urchins? It'll be very interesting to see them transform your tank. Pics please!

Unread 10/07/2014, 11:43 PM   #320
karimwassef
Registered Member

Yes. 9 urchins and they're doing good work. Apparently, they go to the surface after eating a lot... To expel waste in the current?

Got adult Naso and Purple tangs to complement my slow eating juvenile sailfin and rabbit.

Also found my sea hare - apparently, they bury themselves in sand when full. He was very full. Got two more hares.

My Chaeto is already overgrown in the refugium so I'm creating scaffolding to keep it from getting to my return pump. Full of amphipods and at night, glass shrimp trampling the forest like dinosaurs. During the surges, they're uncovered by about a half inch out if the 1.5" of thickness.

Overall the hair is getting nicely mowed back. Two water changes in two weeks helped too.

It's been war but I think the algae is losing!!

Unread 10/07/2014, 11:44 PM   #321
karimwassef
Registered Member

photo 12417073-F236-4EA3-B7CA-E7C0F4A0CAF1_zpsmrltcylj.jpg

Unread 10/07/2014, 11:45 PM   #322
karimwassef
Registered Member

photo 639A3FCD-A512-49C3-9998-3CFCFC3FE471_zps5iyqvado.jpg

Unread 10/07/2014, 11:46 PM   #323