Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2014, 05:25 PM   #376
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I still think Snappy did it.

I did a little research on molly acclimating. It was all over the place. Some people took days, some took minutes. I split the difference and took about a half day. Other than that, nothing special. They never really looked stressed. They can be happy in full strength seawater, but not in soft, 'pure' water.

I'm psyched they survived. I'm not so psyched with their behavior so far. They're not eating algae! We'll see. I don't plan to feed them. It's a battle of wills! Me against the mollies!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2014, 08:28 PM   #377
karimwassef
Registered Member

Silversides?

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2014, 10:06 PM   #378
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm pretty sure Silversides are planktivores. Are you getting some, Karim?

The mollies are starting to nibble about, but they tend to hang around the fake root in the shadows. They seem reluctant to venture into bright light, where the algae is. I got them at Petsmart. Raised in captivity, they've never been in a tank like mine. I'm sure they'll come around though.

I'm sorely tempted to get a blenny! Maybe a fighting conch would be better, since my sandbed is the worse off, algae-wise. I'd rather not add either, with the tank so young and iffy right now.

It may be time for some manual removal. Yay…

Unread 10/16/2014, 01:08 AM   #379
karimwassef
Registered Member

Phyto eaters or leaf eaters?

I'm adding 100 glass shrimp to mine. I love the way they infuse life into a tank.

Unread 10/16/2014, 07:30 AM   #380
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Have you seen these shrimp (Palaemonetes Vulgaris) at

http://www.livebrineshrimp.com/Index.htm ?

Scroll down that first page. They're calling them Marine shrimp Janitors and Feeders. Looks like a good, small, marine shrimp.

Unread 10/16/2014, 09:13 PM   #381
karimwassef
Registered Member

Yup. That what I got but from a different source.

They molt regularly and the females have clutches of eggs!

Unread 10/16/2014, 10:21 PM   #382
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

My only concern would be that they may prey on pods. I'm trying to be selective about pod consumers in my tank. And I already have several fish on my list that are. I may do Mysids and maybe a pelagic pod or two.

Unread 10/16/2014, 10:54 PM   #383
karimwassef
Registered Member

Like cocepods or amphipods?

I have them with pods and I haven't seen them eat the pods. Basically detrivores. I've seen them fight a smaller amphipod for leftover food - and lose.

Unread 10/17/2014, 10:07 PM   #384
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sorry for the lack of pics, lately. It's getting pretty ugly, with the algae. As soon as I get time, I'm going to do some manual removal. THEN, I'll take some new pics. The snails are helping, but it's just that time of the tank's life…The mollies aren't doing as much as I'd hoped either.

I was debating netting v siphoning. Couldn't hurt to change out some water.

I was hoping to avoid this phase! No dice! I thought by keeping the bioload super low, the few nutrients available would get sucked up by the grasses and macros, before microalgae got a hold. I guess I didn't keep it as nutrient poor as I thought.

Oh well, this too shall pass. All the seagrasses and macros are doing very well. Pods are multiplying. The natural processes are doing their thing. Soon, this tank will reach a balance. And that's when it gets really interesting!

Unread 10/17/2014, 10:44 PM   #385
saltwater sam
Registered Member

It was inevitable, Mr. Anderson.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon SW mangrove/macro planted tank
saltwater sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2014, 10:47 PM   #386
karimwassef
Registered Member

Water changes are the cure. Need an urchin?

Unread 10/18/2014, 07:38 AM   #387
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I suppose it was, Agent Smith.

Yes, Karim, I agree. Time for a water change. I actually considered an urchin yesterday at my LFS. I'm going to see how it does after the WC. I'll probably add more snails and a fighting conch, before I seriously consider one, but thanks.

Unread 10/18/2014, 08:47 PM   #388
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Did a big algae removal session today. What really worked well was a bottle brush. Using the spikey end bristles, I was able to tangle it up like a fork and spaghetti. Also changed out some water. Ironically, as I worked, bits of algae floated around and the mollies went after it with gusto…

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what triggered my algae bloom. I think it may have been the snails. If any of them died, well, that would do it! But the algae was already started when I added them. Whatevas…

I added a flagfish today. Thought maybe the mollies would learn from it about going after algae. We shall see.

Coming up on 4 weeks now.

Unread 10/19/2014, 09:37 PM   #389
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Well, the flagfish died. I couldn't find him all day until I looked behind the mangrove trunk. He was in a tight spot, but I don't know if he got stuck and died or died and got stuck. First fish death. Bummer. I am glad I found him though, so I could remove him.

I may do another cleanup/waterchange. Couldn't hurt. I have exported nutrients by removing some Ulva. I'm amazed how fast it grows. So it's a great export medium.

I'll be glad when I get through cycling!

Unread 10/21/2014, 08:05 AM   #390
jimbob321
Registered Member

i went fishing caught some macro lol
[IMG][/IMG]

jimbob321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 12:11 PM   #391
JLynn
Registered Member

Poor flagfish! What a shame.

Well, a water change can't hurt! Another option would be to dose a bit of bacteria. That should help get things moving. Then again, it may be best just to let the cycle happen in its own time. Impatience never gets you anywhere in this hobby.

JLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 01:33 PM   #392
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I know, I hate losing fish! I was really hoping he would set a good, algae-eating example for the mollies too. I did a really long acclimation, so I don't think it was osmotic shock. I think he swam into that little gap behind the fake root and got stuck, and died. I've seen that happen before.

Interesting idea, dosing bacteria. I probably won't though, since I've already added biopellets to my canister about 2 weeks ago, to boost bacteria. I've got some water cloudiness, that makes me think I've got a bacterial bloom already.

I think I'll just grin and bare it. Tank's 4 weeks old today. I'll do another 'fun with algae' day and water change in a few days.

It's funny how hard it is to be patient with a new tank. It's like, "this time I want everything to go perfectly". And when the inevitable imperfection comes along, it's so easy to start grasping at straws, to fix it. Then of course, you only make things worse! And if you tried 4 or 5 different things, you don't know where you went wrong.

Better to sit back and let Mother Nature do her thing, and let the cycle complete.

Once that happens, I'll add more snails, including a fighting conch. I may move the blenny up the fish intro list too.

Unread 10/21/2014, 01:35 PM   #393
karimwassef
Registered Member

Unless you watch the aquarium guys on TV (animal channel). They set up a full reef with live coral in a couple if days (built in). It's very doable with cured LR.

Added 100 fish immediately into a 380gal.

Impatient? Hmmm...

Unread 10/21/2014, 01:43 PM   #394
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Karim, were talking about you or the tv guys adding 100 fish? Did you get Silversides? If so, how 'bout a pic?

Unread 10/21/2014, 02:42 PM   #395
karimwassef
Registered Member

The TV guys. I only have 5 fish but all my algae is gone. My refugium is busting out with Chaeto... Literally climbing up and out!

I had a suspension that keeps the platform raised but I cut the cords to give it another 2" to grow into.

Now I think my urchins are going to die. Maybe Ill add them to the sump to munch on the Chaeto.

Unread 10/21/2014, 02:47 PM   #396
karimwassef
Registered Member

http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows...-3-reveals.htm

Unread 10/21/2014, 03:10 PM   #397
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Congrats on getting rid of your algae! WooHoo!

Maybe you can trade the urchins in for store credit? Get them out before they die, and cause another algae bloom!

Unread 10/21/2014, 05:40 PM   #398
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That show never quite worked for me. I remember being excited upon hearing about it, but when I watched, it was just…disappointing. They really didn't address anything about actual aquarium keeping, which would have been awesome. I wasn't so psyched for a 'reality' show about people, in a business, that fabricates 'gimmick' aquariums. Now that I think about it, some of the tech stuff probably was interesting to a tech master like yourself.

I'd love to see a show where a knowledgeable host takes us on various aquarium adventures! Visiting private home aquariums, participating in conservation-related projects, exploring new aquarium theories, doing lab experiments!

It just occurred to me that my two favorite passions (excluding the wife of course), aquarium keeping and moutainbiking, are all but ignored by television. Does that mean I'm a weirdo?

Unread 10/21/2014, 06:43 PM   #399
karimwassef
Registered Member

It just doesn't generate ratings... You need to communicate drama, adventure, struggle, success and humor to capture human emotion.

No one in showbiz can relate to the angst of losing your first fish and the hand wringing over buying your first piece of equipment over $500.

Unread 10/21/2014, 10:26 PM   #400
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

We're a rare breed. I don't have any local aquarium buddies. Just you guys, my 'Super Science Friends'. I guess we'll have to settle for each other's aquarium adventures here on "the next exciting episode of REEF CENTRAL"!

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass