Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/07/2018, 09:26 AM   #1
daveverdo
Registered Member

Overgrown Sarco Help

Hi All,

I have a problem with my Sarcophyton, its way to big. It is in my 90g and it is touching both the front and back glass (18in) and spreading almost half way across the tank. The base is a good 8" diamter and attached to three separate large rocks. It is high enough in the tank that it is blocking light from many lower corals and they are slowly deteriorating.

I could try to frag it if I can get it out but wouldn't have room in my second tank (20g) for all the frags.

The other problem is getting it out. Because it is attached to three large rocks I can't just take it and the rock out. I can probably coax it off one of the rocks but it not all three. I am also concerned about it releasing toxins if trying to remove it from the rock.

I could try to sell it if I can get it out but not sure if anyone is willing to pay for such a large specimen.

Any suggestions about how to get it out or fragging it in the tank without killing everyting in my tank? I have read about gradually "cutting it off" by tighening something like a zip tie around the base. Anyone ever try that?

David

Unread 01/07/2018, 09:28 AM   #2
CUSE1315
Registered Member

Post some photos and a price please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CUSE1315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 06:05 PM   #3
MatAndPatti
Registered Member

Do any of your local shops take trade ins? Just a thought...

Unread 01/10/2018, 03:11 PM   #4
jimmer
Registered Member

pics please.in the past I just slowly pulled leather off the rock.pushing with my finger as not to tear too much.run carbon and a water change and you should be good.just my exp.im sure others have different methods

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon with stupid goldfish
jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote