Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/05/2017, 10:22 AM   #76
stayjejune
Registered Member

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought the Aquamaxx HOB-1. I'm also going to get rid of the filter socks and see if I can improve water quality with the caddies. I'm planning on putting Seachem Purigen and Boyd's Chemi-Pure Blue into the caddies. Hopefully I see some improvements with this ridiculous hair algae.

stayjejune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2017, 08:35 AM   #77
Anthony357
Registered Member

i took out one of the filter socks and put the media basket in...double layer of filter floss, rowa phosphate remover, and carbon. Ive been happy with it so far! granted its only been like 2 weeks, but i think was good investment

Anthony357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2017, 11:11 AM   #78
stayjejune
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony357 View Post
i took out one of the filter socks and put the media basket in...double layer of filter floss, rowa phosphate remover, and carbon. Ive been happy with it so far! granted its only been like 2 weeks, but i think was good investment
That's great news! Do you plan on taking out the second filter sock? I'm worried that the filter sockets are just nutrient sinks, whereas the filter floss can be thrown out every couple days. I'm considering replacing both filter socks because of it.

Unread 04/06/2017, 12:44 PM   #79
Anthony357
Registered Member

im not too sure yet lol, im still in the 'lets see how this works phase' before changing again. I cut a bunch of like 3x3 inch pieces of the filter floss giant roll i bought and i put a piece on top/inside the 1 sock im still running, figured it would help it. But i agree with you about the buildup within the socks, where as the floss you throw away like 1/2/3 times a week depending how often you want to change. I might just keep the way i have it for now, otherwise id have to buy another 25 dollar media basket and some of the media bags (atleast i already have the phosphate remover and carbon so that isnt a concern) Although i bought 4 of the socks so i just feel like they were a waste of money if im already ditching using them all together.

Unread 04/06/2017, 03:10 PM   #80
stayjejune
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony357 View Post
im not too sure yet lol, im still in the 'lets see how this works phase' before changing again. I cut a bunch of like 3x3 inch pieces of the filter floss giant roll i bought and i put a piece on top/inside the 1 sock im still running, figured it would help it. But i agree with you about the buildup within the socks, where as the floss you throw away like 1/2/3 times a week depending how often you want to change. I might just keep the way i have it for now, otherwise id have to buy another 25 dollar media basket and some of the media bags (atleast i already have the phosphate remover and carbon so that isnt a concern) Although i bought 4 of the socks so i just feel like they were a waste of money if im already ditching using them all together.
Hahaha I'm right there with you because I bought quite a few of the socks thinking I would periodically swap them out. In all honesty, I'm not even sure how to properly clean those socks. I think I might order another one of the media basket. I like the idea of throwing out filter floss every few days rather than let a sock get full of stuff without being able to clean it until I do a water change.

And with the additional media basket I could potentially grow some chaeto down the road. But, not plans to start doing that currently.

Unread 04/10/2017, 08:31 AM   #81
Anthony357
Registered Member

yep sounds like me. I have just been running the washer on a short/water only rinse cycle to clean all the socks for both my tanks atonce, usually just run it on low and it cleans them out pretty good and then let them dry. It works for the most part but i think i am going to get another media basket and either do dual gfo/carb or like you said add some chaeto or a mini refugium

Unread 02/06/2018, 12:55 AM   #82
stayjejune
Registered Member

Hi everyone!

It's been a while so I thought I would give a little tank update. 2017 was a terrible year. Not only for the tank, but also on account of a few deaths in the family. Two very unexpected deaths pretty much put the tank on the back burners. But, once things settled down towards the end of 2017 and things got back to normal, I started paying more attention to the tank and bringing things back from the edge. I lost a few coral on account of very spaced water changes resulting in poor water quality. A few of my SPS corals lost color, but somehow kept growing. I lost a few acans and the three I have left have a lot of tissue loss, but seem to be on the mend. I just added a beautiful hammer coral, a clown, and a goby. The goby was very small and I haven't seen him since I put him in two days ago. Slightly concerned that I haven't seen him yet, but my hope is that he found the pistol shrimp and just hasn't come out of the burrow that the pistol shrimp made.

Any who, here are a few pictures to show the state of the tank currently!

IMG_2407

IMG_2408

IMG_2409

IMG_2411

IMG_2412

Unread 02/06/2018, 11:47 AM   #83
rockhead51
Registered Member

I had a goby disappear for a month. Replaced him. New guy bonded with the shrimp in a heartbeat. Then a week later I saw movement in my sump. Old guy. He was skinny and lost a lot of color, but was fine, and LFS took him back for full credit.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 01:44 PM   #84
stayjejune
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhead51 View Post
I had a goby disappear for a month. Replaced him. New guy bonded with the shrimp in a heartbeat. Then a week later I saw movement in my sump. Old guy. He was skinny and lost a lot of color, but was fine, and LFS took him back for full credit.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
No way! I'm curious as to where the goby could have gone... I checked in the rear chambers and no goby back there. Very curious to see if I can find him anywhere eventually.

Unread 02/09/2018, 10:45 AM   #85
stayjejune
Registered Member

I purchased the EcoTech ReefLink a few days ago and it arrived yesterday. I'm curious to see how easy it will be to set up and be able to wirelessly control my radion and MP10. Stay tuned!

Tags
im 20 gal nuvo fusion, lps, nano