Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2010, 10:09 AM   #501
RVANANO
SWAGON

I hung my Giesemman from the ceiling by cutting 2x4's to fit in b/t the ceiling joists and screwing them into said joists. Then I drilled holes in the 2x4's and put the correct size bolt with a large washer in each going down through the drywall in the ceiling (which is what the standoffs attach to for the light)

RVANANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2010, 11:02 AM   #502
ReefzLover
Registered Member

Hi d2mini ! Really nice and neat tank setup u have! Love the clean look ! Do u mind me asking what is the dimension of your sump tank? Thanks in advance ~

ReefzLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2010, 11:37 AM   #503
trb
Registered Member

Looking great Dennis! I see you got all the sawdust cleaned up?

trb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2010, 12:24 PM   #504
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefzLover View Post
Hi d2mini ! Really nice and neat tank setup u have! Love the clean look ! Do u mind me asking what is the dimension of your sump tank? Thanks in advance ~
Thanks! Don't quote me on this, but i believe the width is about 18", i know the length is 30" and i think the height is about 16".

Quote:
Originally Posted by trb View Post
Looking great Dennis! I see you got all the sawdust cleaned up?
Haha, you know it! I just took a pic of the vents last night finally but haven't downloaded it yet. Hard to get a shot due to their location but it'll do. So far so good, i just need to get a second fan.
Thanks again!

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2010, 09:27 PM   #505
davidchmaus
Registered Member

Hey Dennis,

How is the AWC going since you re calibrated your pump? How far is the run from the water storage to the tank?

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Fowlr 24 Gallon Cube Rimless Reef
davidchmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 06:05 AM   #506
JARJOZ
Registered Member

Hi d2mini! I am following this thread to the dot. I just want to tell you that your tank is amazing. I am new to reef aquariums and your build inspired me to build my own setup.

I believe that your original idea was to have overflow right in the middle of the tank.
That idea got stack in my head and I am planning actually smaller tank with
middle/center overflow.

Thank you for inspiration and great educational thread !!!!!!

JARJOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 08:39 AM   #507
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidchmaus View Post
Hey Dennis,

How is the AWC going since you re calibrated your pump? How far is the run from the water storage to the tank?

Thanks
Still tweaking it. Even with re-calibrating the pumps, I haven't yet gotten my salinity to raise to where I want it... may have even dropped a fraction still. And this is with my tank of fresh sw having a salinity near 1.030. So something still isn't jiving. I decided to tell the LM3 to dose more fresh sw than old sw that it pulls out. I'll see if I can get it balanced that way. I'm still loving it though. Any changes i need to make literally takes just seconds. Just takes a little time to monitor the levels since the changes occur slowly. Patience patience patience.
I don't know the exact measurement of the length of tubing but it's probably around 30ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARJOZ View Post
Hi d2mini! I am following this thread to the dot. I just want to tell you that your tank is amazing. I am new to reef aquariums and your build inspired me to build my own setup.

I believe that your original idea was to have overflow right in the middle of the tank.
That idea got stack in my head and I am planning actually smaller tank with
middle/center overflow.

Thank you for inspiration and great educational thread !!!!!!
Thanks! Good luck with your build, looking forward to it.
Just keep in mind that the reason I decided to switch to the corner overflow was because of how much room the center overflow was going to eat up, especially for a reef tank.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 03/31/2010, 09:02 AM   #508
JARJOZ
Registered Member

d2mini my tank will be 28x28x22 high and I will put all my overflow in to 4" dia. acrylic pipe right in the middle of the tank and build nice rock formation around that 4" post.
If you have a minute I would like to hear your opinion on my idea.

Last edited by JARJOZ; 03/31/2010 at 09:09 AM.
Unread 03/31/2010, 09:32 AM   #509
d2mini
Registered Member

There's no way you will get all your plumbing into a 4" overflow.
If your plumbing is 1", you're going to need to drill something like a 1.75" hole depending on what bulkhead you are using. And then you need a similar amount of space between holes for structural integrity. So as you can see, your space gets eaten up very quickly.
I would say you would need at least an 8" pipe. Now remove 8" from 28" and you are left with 20". Divide that by 2 and you are left with 10" between the glass and your overflow. 10" is not much space when you are trying to build up rock. Start putting corals on that and they will grow pretty close to the glass.

Plus, if you are going to do the dry pipe like I did, I would recommend you do a 2" pipe instead of a 1". I couldn't fit the plugs down through the pipes so i had to do a bunch of unwiring/rewiring of my lighting fixtures and vortechs. Pain in the butt.

Unread 03/31/2010, 09:58 AM   #510
JARJOZ
Registered Member

My idea is to have 4" bulkhead and all pipes inside all in one overflow like this :

Do you think this will work ???

Thank you !

Unread 03/31/2010, 11:30 AM   #511
Mirugai
Registered Member

Re: d2mini's 130g Rimless Cube

D2mini, what type of glue did you use for all the joints in your PVC?

Mirugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 12:09 PM   #512
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARJOZ View Post
My idea is to have 4" bulkhead and all pipes inside all in one overflow like this :

Do you think this will work ???

Thank you !
Wouldn't the big 4" pipe be your main drain then?
I dunno. This is different than what I did so I'm not the best person to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirugai View Post
D2mini, what type of glue did you use for all the joints in your PVC?

Unread 03/31/2010, 12:28 PM   #513
E-A-G-L-E-S
Registered Member

What brand/type.size substrate did you use?

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
E-A-G-L-E-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 10:07 PM   #514
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post
What brand/type.size substrate did you use?
Whatever is sitting at the bottom of the gulf of mexico.
Everything came from TBS.

Unread 03/31/2010, 11:24 PM   #515
asmodeus
SKIMMER WHORE

Job well done man love the over flow too with the cable going to the bottom of the stand through the glass

Unread 04/05/2010, 01:35 PM   #516
dRsLy09
Registered Member

Talking Awesome Tank!

Dennis,

Your tank is amazing! Definitely an inspiration for me. I recently got an Eheim 1262 return pump for my tank and I'm having some trouble figuring out how to plumb it.. Specifically, I'm not sure of what size parts to get since Eheim is metric..I can't find any parts that are 5/8".. I want to put a union on right out of the pump like you have on yours as well as a ball valve... Would you mind telling me which parts you used (and the size of them?) Do you have to use hard PVC pipe to be able to connect a union? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all of your amazing pictures!

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon SPS dominated
dRsLy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2010, 07:51 AM   #517
d2mini
Registered Member

Thanks guys!

For the pump I removed whatever fitting was screwed into the pump inlet/outlet and i went to Lowe's (home depot near me sucks for pvc fittings) and got a fitting that has a threaded male end with a female slip end. This fitting has the hexagonal (or whatever) flat sides for a wrench so you can tighten down into the pump. Then this fitting is connected to the union with a piece of hard pvc. I think the threaded male end was 1/2" and the female slip end is 3/4".

This isn't my pic, but the piece i'm talking about looks like one of the ones on the bottom left.

And here is my pump again showing these pieces installed before the unions.

Hope that helps!

Unread 04/06/2010, 03:45 PM   #518
glxtrix
Registered Member

Get looking setup!

glxtrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2010, 07:18 AM   #519
d2mini
Registered Member

Just realized the pic i posted above is red-exing.
Lets try this one.

This is the adaptor I used to connect the pvc to the eheim.

Unread 04/13/2010, 06:44 AM   #520
krak256
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
T This fitting has the hexagonal (or whatever) flat sides for a wrench so you can tighten down into the pump. Then this fitting is connected to the union with a piece of hard pvc.
hey dennis, how come you used a piece of hard pvc here? can't you use flex pvc?

krak256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2010, 11:00 PM   #521
TXChewy
Registered Member

More pictures please

Dennis, will you setup and scape my next tank?

TXChewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2010, 05:07 AM   #522
Bigjoe2531
Premium Member

Show us some pics, I've been subscribed for a while. Love the tank. The company that made it folded, so sad. What company do you think could build a tank of that quality at a reasonable price? How are your water parameters, any detectable PO4? You must love that photon fixture, is the 250w or 400w and if it is 250 can u easily swap out ballast to drive a 400 w mh?

Current Tank Info: Transition.....
Bigjoe2531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2010, 07:50 AM   #523
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krak256 View Post
hey dennis, how come you used a piece of hard pvc here? can't you use flex pvc?
The way I did it just seemed to make a nice solid connection and was easy to connect the gate valve after the pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXChewy View Post
More pictures please
Dennis, will you setup and scape my next tank?
Dude... i set up the auto water change system BECAUSE i'm so lazy.
I'm lucky I was able to set up MY tank! LOL!
But if you want i can come over and art direct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjoe2531 View Post
Show us some pics, I've been subscribed for a while. Love the tank. The company that made it folded, so sad. What company do you think could build a tank of that quality at a reasonable price? How are your water parameters, any detectable PO4? You must love that photon fixture, is the 250w or 400w and if it is 250 can u easily swap out ballast to drive a 400 w mh?
Ya, i guess i need to take some more pics, eh?
I don't know who else to go to in town other than ADG.
Parameters are doing great. Still making tiny tweaks to the water change system but my salinity seems to be holding right now at 1.025. I've got the BRS dosers going for 2-part and that's what i'm trying to get tweaked now. Alk is ok but Cal is still low at around 350. No phosphates that i can tell other than the dusty algae on the glass. I need to clean it every other day. The sand and rocks are clean, water is clear, nitrates are low. My bubble coral just can't seem to adapt to the new tank, but i heard those do better in poor water quality which would explain why it looked awesome in my old 46g. All my rics are doing great, sponges are borderline at the moment but i know those are hard to keep long term. Frogspawn is doing incredible, hammerhead is good, one clam kicked it but one clam is still going. Even one of my flame scallops is still going. And my Gorgonians are doing great. So overall the tank is moving right along. Starting to get some purple coraline on the overflow now too. The orange star is still alive and kicking too which I was really worried about and still am but so far so good.
The fixture is doing well. It's the 250w. I have no idea if you can swap it out for a 400 but you can just buy a 400 fixture to begin with.

Unread 04/16/2010, 09:33 AM   #524
liver
Premium Member

Does having the vortechs in the overflow reduce the noise by any meaningful amount?

liver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2010, 10:59 AM   #525
Taqpol
Registered Member

I had to go back five pages to find a FTS, and even then it was just one that someone had quoted. I think its time for a photo update!

-Alex
Taqpol is offline   Reply With Quote