Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/13/2018, 01:40 PM   #1
Jeff000
Electrician

Need help with my magnifica, and adding a second.

I've had this magnifica for 3 years or so. About 7 months ago I had a roof leak that dripped water through my ducts and into my sump, lost several fish and thought I was going to lose this nem. It went from 14-16" to hardly 6".
But I just can't get it to look better than this, I have 3 clowns, are they just beating up on it too much?
I've been feeding it mysis every few days.

Another question is I'm adding a second magnifica, about 12" across. Do I put it close to this one, or far away?

Tank is healthy now, use reefers best salt, ~500 gallons total water.

Any ideas would be great.

Jeff000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2018, 02:41 PM   #2
D-Nak
Registered Member

Can you share any photos of the nem under natural light, or with all of your lights on?

It appears to be bleached, which may have been a slow process stemming from the leak, or it could've happened on its own. What kind of lighting do you use?

If it is bleached, just feed it and it should come back. This is assuming you have ample lighting and optimal water conditions.

Regarding the second mag, anywhere is fine. They don't need to be far apart, nor do they have to be together.

Unread 08/13/2018, 03:23 PM   #3
Jeff000
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Can you share any photos of the nem under natural light, or with all of your lights on?

It appears to be bleached, which may have been a slow process stemming from the leak, or it could've happened on its own. What kind of lighting do you use?

If it is bleached, just feed it and it should come back. This is assuming you have ample lighting and optimal water conditions.

Regarding the second mag, anywhere is fine. They don't need to be far apart, nor do they have to be together.
I have custom LED, I'll snap another picture here in a bit. It is bleached color, how long of feeding should it take, I have been feeding it for only a couple weeks here.

It lived looking awesome and grew 4+" in the 2.5+ yeas before my mini crash. It was in a tight ball for like 3 weeks after the mini crash, opened back up looking like this.
Is there something better to be feeding it, or is mysis fine?

Unread 08/13/2018, 03:44 PM   #4
D-Nak
Registered Member

With it balled up for 3 weeks, it makes sense that it bleached because it wasn't receiving any light, and probably ate itself for nutrients, which explains the smaller size.

Does the nem have any brown color left, or it is completely bleached? If there is some color left then it could bounce back in a few weeks. If not, then it could take considerably longer.

Thinking longer term, after you receive second mag, and you're sure that it is healthy (give it at least 2 weeks in QT), you can cut off a tentacle and attempt a zoox transplant.

Mysis is fine. However, I prefer more meatier foods like fresh salmon or sushi-grade tuna. Lately though, I've been lazy and feeding my nems LRS Fish Frenzy.

Unread 08/13/2018, 06:40 PM   #5
davocean
Registered Member

While a healthy nem can handle bigger pieces of food, I think it's better for a bleached nem to be given smaller foods like mysis, less energy to digest.

If there is any color at all it could come back, takes a little time though.

I agree on qt of new mag, don't want to add infection to this guy on top of everything else.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2018, 09:47 PM   #6
Jeff000
Electrician

Here is a picture under better lighting.

Here is the new nem, I am not 100% sure it is a magnifica, under the poor lighting the colors look all messed up. But in the other guys tank it sure looked like a magnifica.

Unread 08/13/2018, 09:52 PM   #7
davocean
Registered Member

Looks like mag to me, just not a purple base.
Your bleached one has potential to come back.

New one need to make sure no deflation, that's why we qt, making sure no bacterial infection, super common in mags.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 08/13/2018, 09:55 PM   #8
Jeff000
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Looks like mag to me, just not a purple base.
Your bleached one has potential to come back.

New one need to make sure no deflation, that's why we qt, making sure no bacterial infection, super common in mags.
Yup. I am acclimating to the QT, it didn't have any deflation until I spent an hour trying to get it off the rock. It's actually looking better than I expected.
I thought it needed purple foot to be a mag? It's very pretty either way. It's been in an aquarium for 11 months so far.

I really hope mine comes back, hopefully the clowns start to love this one, I think them bugging it is making it worse.

Unread 08/14/2018, 08:43 AM   #9
davocean
Registered Member

Not all have a purple base, mine in fact is more beige w/ a light lavender hue to it, and yours could gain some highlight color possibly.

Getting an established mag from someone is a nice bonus, if they had it 11 months good chance it needs no treatment.

As long as the nem is good size, at least 3-4x the size of clowns it should be able to handle their attention.

Unread 08/14/2018, 07:01 PM   #10
Jeff000
Electrician

Quote:

As long as the nem is good size, at least 3-4x the size of clowns it should be able to handle their attention.

The clowns are a fair size compared to the shriveled anemone. I fear it might be getting pestered too much by them.

Unread 08/14/2018, 09:37 PM   #11
davocean
Registered Member

Looks like it should be big enough, for a pair...how many clowns you have?
From same clutch?

If concerned, cover nem w/ strawberry basket or similar to block clowns

Unread 08/14/2018, 09:47 PM   #12
Jeff000
Electrician

Quote:
Looks like it should be big enough, for a pair...how many clowns you have?
From same clutch?

If concerned, cover nem w/ strawberry basket or similar to block clowns
There are 3. Two separate clutch, two are snowflakes, and one (used to be two) from another store were sold as semi snowflakes. They have been a harem for 5 years now.
The 4th was the smallest one, and was lost in the mini crash that almost killed this anemone.

Maybe I'll try and cover it with something for a bit.

Unread 08/15/2018, 08:12 AM   #13
Jeff000
Electrician

I need a good way to cover it one the worst rock ever. It's on a kind of jut out, almost need more of a sphere shape.

Unread 08/15/2018, 09:14 AM   #14
davocean
Registered Member

eggcrate and zip ties might work

Unread 08/15/2018, 10:05 AM   #15
Jeff000
Electrician

Quote:
eggcrate and zip ties might work
Hmm do they make semi flexible egg crate? Lol

Unread 08/15/2018, 11:01 AM   #16
davocean
Registered Member

I'd consider eggcrate semi flexible, easy to cut, but there's other stuff out there, yarn screen mesh is super flexible, another option

Unread 08/16/2018, 09:35 AM   #17
Gig 'em
Registered Member

What exactly was the issue that caused deaths from the water leak? Did it lower the salinity too much, or was it just contaminants leaching into your tank through the roof and attic? If the salinity wasn't the issue, maybe running extra carbon and doing some more water changes could help? I imagine it bleached as a stress response to the rain water getting in, but it's yet to be determined if it is physical, chemical, or biological that caused the actually bleaching.

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 12:03 PM   #18
davocean
Registered Member

Carbon and wc's are never a bad idea, it's probably anyone's guess if contaminants were the issue

Unread 08/16/2018, 11:44 PM   #19
Jeff000
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig 'em View Post
What exactly was the issue that caused deaths from the water leak? Did it lower the salinity too much, or was it just contaminants leaching into your tank through the roof and attic? If the salinity wasn't the issue, maybe running extra carbon and doing some more water changes could help? I imagine it bleached as a stress response to the rain water getting in, but it's yet to be determined if it is physical, chemical, or biological that caused the actually bleaching.
It was some sort of contaminates, as it was a very slow drip over a couple days. Was actually what they call attic rain, frozen condensation on the inside of my roof rapidly melting when we went 35C temp change in 2 days and having poor ventilation in my roof, several houses on my block had the issue.
I noticed something wrong with the tank, nem balled up, and couldn't see a couple fish, did a water change and added fresh carbon, next day looked worse, so did the same, but took my gfo out and added more carbon. Day after I lost my one trigger and emporator angle, so was doing the biggest water change I could, and that is when I had a drip land on my head. Was coming down my ventilation and dripping out a screw hole. I've been changing carbon every 10 days or so, and it's been a couple month now.

The nem was balled up for like 3 weeks.