Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/23/2016, 07:40 AM   #1
xler8r
Registered Member

Baby Bengai appeared this morning!

Hi everyone!
I woke up this morning to find swimming in the lowest flow area in my tank a baby Bengai Cardinal! This was pretty unexpected as I'm still under a year of having this tank and didn't know my pair were breeding.

It's pretty unfortunate though and maybe you guys can shed some light on this. Just 2 days ago in the morning, one of my pair I found laying on its side in basically the same spot I found the baby today, not moving but still breathing. I captured it and put it in my little floating breeder box and even after 20 minutes it still wasn't changing so I figured it was dying like some of my other fish. I had noticed for a while one of the pair was not eating and in the past week saw the 2nd one was not eating... saw something like this coming.

This morning I read this topic that was posted on the forum and now makes me think the pair were breeding. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1990387
I'm so not prepared/set up to breed any fish yet, haha. I don't want to let this little guy down but am really behind the curve and don't know the first thing about getting baby brine shrimp for this guy... so basically I put some small frozen Hikari Mysis and some BRS Reef Chili in his little container to see if he'd pick at either.

Any feedback is appreciated!

xler8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2016, 07:44 AM   #2
xler8r
Registered Member

I'm not sure why it won't let me edit my previous post... but I'll try posting a photo again differently here...

Unread 06/25/2016, 09:45 PM   #3
collegereefs
Registered Member

Congrats on the baby. Sorry, about the pair. If you can separate the pair with a clear divider it would give the male a chance to put some weight on. If you can't get live brine for the baby you need to keep the frozen food in suspension with a bubbler or light flow of some kind. Hope this helps.

collegereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2016, 07:01 AM   #4
xler8r
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegereefs View Post
Congrats on the baby. Sorry, about the pair. If you can separate the pair with a clear divider it would give the male a chance to put some weight on. If you can't get live brine for the baby you need to keep the frozen food in suspension with a bubbler or light flow of some kind. Hope this helps.
Thanks Collegereefs. I posted a video of them herehttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEm...pFK7LPM2MI4WbQ on my Youtube page. They seem to be doing pretty well as I was able to find a shrimp breeding kit at the local store. Its funny though, they really only go after those baby brine shrimp!

Unread 06/27/2016, 07:15 AM   #5
collegereefs
Registered Member

They are known to be very stubborn about what they eat. It's best to start mixing in a few frozen baby brine over time.

collegereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2016, 10:43 AM   #6
shellsea
Registered Member

Congrads on the babies!!!! I too discovered babies (2 of them) in my overflow on May 27. About 6 weeks old now. 1 disappeared. Not sure if it went down to the fuge in sump or not. Its a jungle in there. Anyhow, my babies were given tiny bits of freeze dried brine shrimp and ate it. Now eating just about what ever little bits I put in the overflow. Hope to move the 1 survivor to a new frag tank I am planning.
Good luck with yours.