Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/15/2011, 01:20 AM   #126
Plato
Registered Member

+1 on the MTC reactor. Spectacular tank as well. Great job and keep inspiring the rest of us.

Genesis 2:28
God blessed them and said to them,"Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

Current Tank Info: 275 starphire, 3 x 400 watt MH + 4 x 80 watt T5's, 2 x MP 60 + 2 x MP 40, Orca 250 skimmer, CADS filter head (SeaVisions), ProCal Ca reactor, GHL controlled.
Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2011, 11:46 AM   #127
marc49127
Registered Member

Sweet tank! All the sps and the fish look great!

marc49127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2011, 01:43 PM   #128
Drakis
Registered Member

That has to be one of the best tanks I have ever seen.

Drakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2011, 02:17 PM   #129
jcw
Registered Member

Is that your sump? WoW!

How many gallons?

What else do you have in the room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMagyar View Post

-eznet2u

Current Tank Info: 125g DT, custom 30g sump, ATB elegance, eheim 1260, mp40 (too many failed wetsides), gyre 150 (love it)
jcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2011, 09:04 PM   #130
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw View Post
Is that your sump? WoW!

How many gallons?

What else do you have in the room?

Yes, that's the sump and it's 300 gallons. The room house's my frag tank, sump, and filtration trays. The skimmer is in the room next door.

This summer has been as difficult as ever because I'm gone almost all of July and August, but I can never find help for the level of work that I need since my LFS is away on vacation as well. PLUS my anemone moved about 6 inches down and is stinging my favorite coral . . . AHHHHHH . . . I'm always asking whether I should get out or not. The stress right now is huge because I don't know how to solve all my problems.

Joe

JPMagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2011, 11:28 PM   #131
Haplochromine
Registered Member

Very beautiful aquarium. I really like the depth that this aquarium has that is lacking in so many of our long and narrow standard aquaria.

15G Empty
Haplochromine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2011, 12:18 AM   #132
namesean
Registered Member

VERY NICE. Also, awesome picture taking skills. Camera? Let me guess, nikon?

namesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2011, 12:44 AM   #133
namesean
Registered Member

Thanks for the camera info. WOW. Just WOW, so nice.

Still, I am saying WOW

and the basement. Well.... you guessed it WOW.

namesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2011, 02:01 PM   #134
Junz
Registered Member

any updates on this wonderful tank ?

Junz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2011, 03:06 PM   #135
ravenmore
Registered Member

Awesome tank - I'm jealous of your sump. Trying to figure out a way to make that work in my tiny little house.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon reef tank in progress
ravenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2011, 09:26 PM   #136
JPMagyar
Registered Member

The summer has been incredibly hard. I just got home after being gone for most of the last 8 weeks and the tank is full of hair algae and red slime. I promise to take a picture tomorrow just to show that life is not always perfect in Eden. Anyways, thanks for keeping the thread alive

Unread 08/27/2011, 10:07 PM   #137
paraletho
Premium Member

First of all I am humbled by the beauty of your tank and your apparent expertise in creating it. Thank you also for admitting your misfortunes, not that I wish them on anyone, but it is good to know we aren't alone. Stuff happens and we keep on reefing.

Current Tank Info: 32month old 58 gallon (GBTA,Mushrooms,Dendros,Ricordea,Red Planet,Lobo, Open Brain,10" Torch,Hammer/Frogspawn Xbreed, Mated Pair Ocellaris, Powder Blue ,CB shrimp, assorted cleanup crew) mag 9, 6x39 T5 ATI; 21 mth old 125 gal SPS 50 gal sump/refugium
paraletho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2011, 07:01 PM   #138
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraletho View Post
First of all I am humbled by the beauty of your tank and your apparent expertise in creating it. Thank you also for admitting your misfortunes, not that I wish them on anyone, but it is good to know we aren't alone. Stuff happens and we keep on reefing.

Thanks for the kind words!

But, here's a positive aspect from my experience . . .

The eye of Hurricane Irene passed a few miles from my house. My family and I were trapped in our house because multiple trees were down on both exits from our development, but because I invested in a generator years ago we "weathered" the storm with lights, water, dvds, and a gas stove AND the tank came through untroubled.

I really need to take a picture now at the end of summer 'cuz this is almost always the low point for me in reefkeeping. By October everything should be looking pristine, but right now I'm staring at red slime and hair algae . . . ahh

On a whole other note, I tested my Coralife salt water batches for a water change a couple times now with the calcium and alkalinity being out of balance. Calcium has been high relative to alk. Wonder if this isn't contributing to the trouble I'm having keeping my alk up . . . hmmm.

Joe

Unread 09/01/2011, 07:18 PM   #139
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

TOTM Vote!

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2011, 08:02 PM   #140
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishTeen View Post
TOTM Vote!

Thanks dude!

Unread 09/14/2011, 07:02 PM   #141
JPMagyar
Registered Member

The real story . . .

So . . .

After a summer of being gone I approached my tank 2 days ago to see where I was. Sadly I lost my 30,000 Leagues colony. Happily I have a frag in the basement. What it brought to mind was whether or not to stay in this hobby. Honestly, this is not the first time, but looking at a tank with glass covered in algea I just felt disheartened, and the problems just kept piling up: first the Tunze multicontroller was malfunctioning. Next the sand was covered in slime. The RO/DI was producing barely anything. Calcium was 350 but alk was 10. Both Tunzes were barely producing any flow, and m calcium reactor is nearly out of media. I spent the last 3 days working 3 hours a day correcting these items one by one. Yesterday I pulled out whole colonies from the tank. Tenuis . . . gone. Bird's Nest . . . gone. Gemmifera . . . gone. But then tonight I looked at what's left, after spending hours and hours cleaning, and it looks spectacular so I'm hooked again. What I realize is that keeping an open architecture is key to my success. When corals grow too tight and the Tunzes slow down bad stuff happens. All of that says to me I'd like to try one more time creating a new architecture with a bigger tank footprint, but actually fewer corals all in the name of making it cheaper. If everything is placed better I think I can downgrade to lower lighting and that would be a huge savings. I've also noticed that having what I have is NOT cheap

Anyways, just a few random musings for the night . . .

Joe

Unread 09/15/2011, 07:14 AM   #142
110galreef
Registered Member

Sounds like you really just need to be able to find some one to peek in once a week, make sure everything is fine and just wipe down the glass for the 2 months you are gone. Get the tank back up and running. Maybe find a local neighbor that you like & slowly teach him over the winter.

Most tanks this size should be ok, with a CAL, & ALK & MG check every 1-2 weeks, slight asjustment, 3-4 WC's over that 2 mos. Get everything as self sufficient as possible. SOme of which you can do if your back in sometime over that span.

Aside from feeding, right now my tank can go 10 days w/o any human interaction and everything will be spot on.
CA, ALK & Mg will only swing a tad but not outside and acceptable level. (390-440) (8.5-10.0) (1290-1350) This is why I really love 2 part dosing. Very consistent and steady, and if I am gone and something needs adjusted, about anyone could do it.
ATO handles all the water, I have a storage bin of RO/DI that holds 30g of water(10days worth, and I have to manually fill it) Container does have a float valve for a backup incase i forget the water is running. 2 flaot switches for the ATO, plus it is timmed via APEX and can't add more than 4gals a day (~3 gal/day evap) Worst case sump can handle the 30g if all failsafes went wrong. Salinity wouldn't drop really bad either on 300+g volume.

I do 3 week 10% WC. works great for me & they way I am running the sysytem.

Lights auto as usual.

With setups this big and complex we really need to automate as much, failsafe everything, and have a good reliable FREIND when we are gone or in need! Your setup is to nice to just toss after a little loss. Plus most of the loss is from anemonee moving. only 3 casualties on your tank is nithing, granted sucks but keep on keeping on!

Take the winter to look at each issue you could encounter and solve it!

Unread 09/15/2011, 03:54 PM   #143
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Thanks so much for the support!

Honestly, I think I was a little overwhelmed when I looked at all that had to be done, but now that I've chipped away at it over several days I don't feel so bad. I definitely like your idea of training someone to take care of the tank next summer. I actually did that last February when we went away for a week and it worked out great. Unfortunately, my buddy who owns an LFS and helps out every other week just doesn't have the free time needed to upkeep the tank the way I would. Anyways as I promised here's a photo showing the algae and the dead coral areas after a massive trim job. Hopefully by December I'll have it all back clean and pristine again. We'll see but thanks again!

On a slightly different note, I was thinking today about coral color. This summer several of my corals lost color, but obviously my lighting didn't change so this makes me think that flow, cleanliness, and stable chemistry are all just as important as lighting.

Joe

Unread 09/15/2011, 04:58 PM   #144
Tracey2
Registered Member

Hard to see the algae for the beauty.

Tracey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2011, 06:38 PM   #145
110galreef
Registered Member

yeah, tank still looks great overall. few little hicupps. But will be pristine again.

Unread 09/15/2011, 07:26 PM   #146
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110galreef View Post
yeah, tank still looks great overall. few little hicupps. But will be pristine again.
Hey, do you have any updated photos from your tank? I'd love to hear about how you handled your faded colors and whether or not you got any improvement!

Last edited by JPMagyar; 09/15/2011 at 07:34 PM.
Unread 09/15/2011, 07:28 PM   #147
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey2 View Post
Hard to see the algae for the beauty.
Thank-you Tracy. Means the "World" to me to hear comments like that! Let me know if you need a frag or two

Joe

Unread 09/16/2011, 01:02 AM   #148
MilkWeed18
Registered Member

Your tank is amazing. I hope mine looks as beautiful as yours as i gain more experience. Your anemone is my favorite.

Unread 09/16/2011, 01:05 AM   #149
dknydiep
Registered Member

Now that's what I call a sump!

dknydiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2011, 01:34 AM   #150
marrstarr
Premium Member

awesome

marrstarr is offline   Reply With Quote