Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/02/2009, 09:14 PM   #51
Jacob D
Registered Member

kangym -

Thanks for posting your PAR readings. Being a former "T5 guy" I find it interesting that the shorter bulbs produce less PAR/watt than the longer bulbs. I almost went 10x39w T5 on my current tank... glad I didn't! Instead I switched to 175w halides and low light corals, life is so much easier when everything is brown and green

By the way I posted some pictures of your tank here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1647872

Current Tank Info: Retired from reefing...
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2009, 10:15 PM   #52
kangym
Registered Member

Thank you Jacob. Let me know anytime if you need the par meter. If possible, please chime in and share your par data here.

kangym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 08:33 AM   #53
DaveG99
Registered Member

So a 24" T5 bulb will be weaker than a 48" T5 bulb. You would think as long as its directly under the bulb it would priduce the same PAR reading excet the longer bulb would have this readign over a longer area. Am I wrong to think that?

DaveG99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2009, 12:13 AM   #54
homeboyreefer
Registered Member

hmm so what do you guys think, i have a lumenmax elite right now over a 3ft tank, do you guys think that would be better then an ati sunpower 6x39w ?

homeboyreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2009, 05:19 PM   #55
kangym
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveG99
So a 24" T5 bulb will be weaker than a 48" T5 bulb. You would think as long as its directly under the bulb it would priduce the same PAR reading excet the longer bulb would have this readign over a longer area. Am I wrong to think that?
The par comparison between 4 ft and 3 ft ATI PM of my two tanks can not prove anything. Because they are not under the same control condition. One is 10 x 54w, the other is 8 x 39w. I also have par reading on my QT which is lighted by 4 x 24W T5. The reading are very low.
I would like to invite those "all T5 tank" owner to chime in if they have par meter at hand. Then we will be able to find out the secret of par production and the length of the lamp.

Unread 06/12/2009, 05:36 PM   #56
kangym
Registered Member

Ok, it is about time for the par reading.
Everything is still the same, 10 x 54W ATI Powermodule 4 in. above water level
Guess what? Yes, it drops.

Par reading on May 2009

Par reading on June 2009

Unread 06/12/2009, 05:43 PM   #57
kangym
Registered Member

Sorry, it is 5 in. above the water level.

Unread 06/17/2009, 01:03 AM   #58
homeboyreefer
Registered Member

bump i'm really interested in this

homeboyreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2009, 03:35 AM   #59
gem_nut85
Registered Member

that is a tank to behold forsure

No one but me

Current Tank Info: well established 46 bow,and all the creature in it!
gem_nut85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2009, 11:39 AM   #60
kangym
Registered Member

Thanks homeboyreefer and gem_nut85.
Find an interesting article referred by reefmaster3024 from CVR: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/totm/index.php

My new lamps have arrived. The par drops almost over 30% after 10 months. The growth rate slows down, and I start to have difficulty to keep the brilliant color. Is it about time to replace with new lamps? Or hanging there for another two months to find out exactly how much the par drops.

Unread 06/17/2009, 04:47 PM   #61
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by kangym
Thanks homeboyreefer and gem_nut85.
Find an interesting article referred by reefmaster3024 from CVR: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/totm/index.php

My new lamps have arrived. The par drops almost over 30% after 10 months. The growth rate slows down, and I start to have difficulty to keep the brilliant color. Is it about time to replace with new lamps? Or hanging there for another two months to find out exactly how much the par drops.
I found I started losing color on my SPS at 10 months. I think it really depends on individual systems but 10 months is not too soon IMHO

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2009, 06:07 PM   #62
kangym
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
I found I started losing color on my SPS at 10 months. I think it really depends on individual systems but 10 months is not too soon IMHO
Thanks Grim Reefer, the master of T5. Yes, I will hanging there for one more month.
If you look at my tank now, what lamp combination would you recommend? Or if this is your tank, what lamp combo. will you go?

Unread 06/17/2009, 09:04 PM   #63
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Thanks Grim Reefer, the master of T5. Yes, I will hanging there for one more month.
If you look at my tank now, what lamp combination would you recommend? Or if this is your tank, what lamp combo. will you go?
Assuming 3 and 8 are the dusk/dawn pair

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus

I didn't cheat and look to see what you are currently running but you need some red in there. The 3 UVL lamps should be plenty and the GE should help bring out greens nicely. You could try swapping the position of the 2 and 3 lamps so the dusk/dawn is a 75/25 and blue plus. Kinda neat effect for a change from the normal blue. I would get an ATI Aquablue as a spare just in case the actinic white is a little too much with the 75/25 lamps. .

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
Unread 06/17/2009, 10:57 PM   #64
kangym
Registered Member

Quote:
Assuming 3 and 8 are the dusk/dawn pair

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus

I didn't cheat and look to see what you are currently running but you need some red in there. The 3 UVL lamps should be plenty and the GE should help bring out greens nicely. You could try swapping the position of the 2 and 3 lamps so the dusk/dawn is a 75/25 and blue plus. Kinda neat effect for a change from the normal blue. I would get an ATI Aquablue as a spare just in case the actinic white is a little too much with the 75/25 lamps. .
for the red color, I was using two UVL aqusun. I was planned to give a try on ATI procolor. Interestingly you choose UVL 75/25 and actinic white to bring out the red.
GE 6500K is very good for green and yellow. ATI aquablue spec. are no more included in my favorite list but as a spare bulb like your suggestion.

The lamps combo in my mind was:
Blue+
ATI aquablue spec.
Blue+
GE6500K
Blue+
ATI procolor
Blue+
Blue+
UVL Aquasun
Blue+

But now, I think I need to order some more new lamps. I will try your combo first. If possible, I will post the picture and the par reading. Thanks.

Unread 06/17/2009, 11:03 PM   #65
kangym
Registered Member

One more question, does it help to use UVL lamp with internal reflector in ATI PM?

Unread 06/18/2009, 12:04 AM   #66
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
for the red color, I was using two UVL aqusun. I was planned to give a try on ATI procolor. Interestingly you choose UVL 75/25 and actinic white to bring out the red.
GE 6500K is very good for green and yellow. ATI aquablue spec. are no more included in my favorite list but as a spare bulb like your suggestion.

The lamps combo in my mind was:
Blue+
ATI aquablue spec.
Blue+
GE6500K
Blue+
ATI procolor
Blue+
Blue+
UVL Aquasun
Blue+

But now, I think I need to order some more new lamps. I will try your combo first. If possible, I will post the picture and the par reading. Thanks.
Thing is with the 75/25 and actinic white you get the red spectrum plus actinic and both have better PAR than the pro color. The PC does have some really deep spectrum in the red area the UVL's may or may not have that same spectrum but I like the idea of using more lamps that are less intense in the amount of red they provide as a way to spread the red spectrum around the tank without creating too much of a purple look in the tank.

Unread 06/18/2009, 12:05 AM   #67
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
One more question, does it help to use UVL lamp with internal reflector in ATI PM?
Internal reflector is a bad thing in fixtures with good reflectors.

Unread 06/24/2009, 04:37 AM   #68
Ancelot
Registered Member

This is an interesting thread.
I am getting my 3ft DIY retroset with 6 x 39w t5ho soon. Gonna hold it over a 18" tank.
Do you all think it will be able to hold the colours for SPS well? (:

Ancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2009, 08:37 AM   #69
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

SHould be plenty of PAR

Unread 06/24/2009, 10:01 AM   #70
kangym
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ancelot
This is an interesting thread.
I am getting my 3ft DIY retroset with 6 x 39w t5ho soon. Gonna hold it over a 18" tank.
Do you all think it will be able to hold the colours for SPS well? (:
18" Height will be plenty +1, but not for 30" height IMHO.

Unread 06/24/2009, 10:02 AM   #71
kaskiles
Registered Member

So what would we expect for the initial PAR difference when comparing the 2ft Ice Cap retrofit vs. the 2ft ATI PowerModule (under the same tank/height conditions)? The Ice Cap would be higher because they are the short bulbs, and they are over driven?

Also, would we expect the Ice Cap PAR longevity to be lower because the bulbs are being over driven, and therefore are wearing out more quickly?

Finally, anyone want to wildly speculate on the initial PAR difference for a 2 ft ATI PM vs. a 150 watt HQI metal halide running a high quality bulb in the $80 price range?

kaskiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2009, 12:21 PM   #72
jtma508
Premium Member

Quote:
Depends on the system, My 80 watt Ice Cap system had better than 80% of the new PAR after over a year. Ultra Solaris was down about 30% after 7 months but part of that was due tio the crappy reflectors getting screwed from salt spray.
Wow Grim. I was thinking about an Ultra Solaris. The reflectors are crappy on those?

jtma508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2009, 05:21 PM   #73
kangym
Registered Member

Replaced with new T5 lamps 2 weeks ago.
Lamps age: 2 weeks
Light fixture 9 in. from water level
The lamp combo from front to back
Blue+
ATI aquablue spec.
Blue+
GE6500K
Blue+
ATI procolor
ATI aquablue spec.
Blue+
UVL Aquasun (Internal reflector)
Blue+
The only difference is I took out one UVL aqusun, and replaced with ATI procolor. I will run this combo for a while to see if I like it? May try other combo later.

Unread 07/03/2009, 05:23 PM   #74
kangym
Registered Member

Par reading July 2009

Unread 07/03/2009, 05:36 PM   #75
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

You really should but some corals in the tank

That's nice.