Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/28/2011, 08:11 AM   #1
NarnyTheGreat
Registered Member

Skimmer use with sea horses question

I have a nano tank that I was thinking of setting up as a seahorse tank. Its a 14 gallon cube tank.

I have a iceprobe chiller for the tank that is drilled into a filter so its not directly in the tank and would be more than able to keep the temp down.

My question is about a protein skimmer. I have access to two. First is the Remora nano rated for 5-25 gallons and the second is the mid Remora rated for 20-75 gallons. My question is, would it be bad to use the larger remora on it with sea horses to better help with nutrient?

The tank would be filled with macros and the tcb SH's so they should eat frozen foods and I also plan on putting some sort of plastic cage around the pump so that none of the SH's get damaged.

Any thoughts are welcome.

NarnyTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2011, 02:21 PM   #2
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

Unless you're planning to keep zots, capensis, or brevvies, that 14 gal will be too small, period. I realize all the "old, outdated" info regarding SH sez they don't swim much, etc, etc, but SH will use every bit of space you give them.

However, to answer your question, skimmers and SH are fine, the larger one is OK.

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
namxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2011, 04:02 PM   #3
NarnyTheGreat
Registered Member

Ok cool thanks. And thank you for telling me which ones could live in the tank. That saves me a bit of research.

I dont have the tank set up yet so I have time. I am just trying to decide what equipment I should use.

NarnyTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2011, 09:04 PM   #4
rayjay
Registered Member

Personally I would rule out the 14g as a tank for H. zosterae as you would need an inordinate amount of live brine shrimp every feeding.
A five gallon tank will hold between 20 and 40 depending on how much work you want to do, so a 14g would probably hold at least 150 to make it worth doing.
As for H. capensis, H. fuscus and H. breviceps, it can be done in that small a tank but IMO it is a lot more work keeping the tank clean than using a recommended size. Slack off a bit on husbandry and the tank isn't large enough to be forgiving and you can loose the livestock.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote