Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2012, 08:25 AM   #2076
AfricaOffroad
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwrasseman View Post
its a bipartus IMO .
We dont get the bipartitus where I caught my guy above. In fact I've never seen a bipartitus in our local coastal waters - but they have been reported.
We do get lots and lots of the lapillus, they swim in mini shoals with a few of the super males - as per my pic

AfricaOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2012, 08:33 AM   #2077
AfricaOffroad
Moved On

Apology, as I have posted these pics before.

One of our locally caught lapillus. They go browner as they age.

bipartitus and lapilus checking each other out.
they were fine for the first few months, but eventually the bipartitus harrassed the lapillus to death.

Unread 02/02/2012, 10:46 AM   #2078
BeanMachine
Registered Member

Very cool Africaoffroad thanks for sharing.

Unread 02/02/2012, 03:29 PM   #2079
jason2459
Registered Member

Very nice pictures. So that's the juvenile of the Jewel that came up on DD last month? Glad I grabbed that picture too because it's off DD now.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2012, 06:00 AM   #2080
Mike S
Registered Member

I've been considering a bipartitus for my tank but was wondering if my sand was too course for them? I have tropic eden reef flakes and can't seem to find any info either way of it is appropriate for wrasses.

Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 12:04 PM   #2081
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
I've been considering a bipartitus for my tank but was wondering if my sand was too course for them? I have tropic eden reef flakes and can't seem to find any info either way of it is appropriate for wrasses.
Looks similar to the Caribsea special grade which should be fine.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 02/07/2012, 12:34 PM   #2082
Mike S
Registered Member

Thanks after doing some reading it sounds like it is slightly more course (3 mm vs 2 mm) but it seems like it would be OK.

Unread 02/07/2012, 12:45 PM   #2083
prop-frags
SPS Slave

We use Tropic Eden Reef flakes and Miniflakes and have not had any issues with our (3) M. bipartitus or our M. kuiteri.

Current Tank Info: 200g temp garage tank
prop-frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 01:16 PM   #2084
BeanMachine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Looks similar to the Caribsea special grade which should be fine.
I have the same sand with no problems.

Unread 02/07/2012, 01:26 PM   #2085
Mike S
Registered Member

Thanks I think my sand my need to be a little deeper. I'm going to measure it tonight and add some miniflakes if i need more.

Unread 02/08/2012, 06:25 PM   #2086
jason2459
Registered Member

Anyone ever experience a smaller female with a larger female and have the smaller female start turning male?

Unread 02/08/2012, 10:28 PM   #2087
akma
Registered Member

Here is my Mauritius Jewelled Leopard Wrasse. I love this guy. I believe this one was the first one in the country. I've had him since last may. Great personality and eats everything. Sad but i'm going to have to sell him soon. My pending upgrade to a larger tank isn't happening and I feel bad with him in a 36gallon.

akma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2012, 05:30 AM   #2088
AfricaOffroad
Moved On

Mauritian jewelled leopard wrasse is a macropharyngodon cynoguttatus
see pictures of it here
http://www.google.co.za/search?um=1&...guttatus&btnG=

Your pics are of a lapillus, we were just discussing it on the previous page whether it even belongs in the leopard wrasse family or not.

Unread 02/09/2012, 11:35 AM   #2089
akma
Registered Member

According to who?

I know my wrasses scientific name is: Macropharyngodon lapillus
Came in from a shpment from mauritius last may. Everything i've googled points the
Macropharyngodon lapillus as the jewel wrasse.

Last edited by akma; 02/09/2012 at 11:48 AM.
akma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2012, 11:16 AM   #2090
rad1687
Registered Member

I have a 90 gallon display with at 30 gallon sump/refugium. My current livestock includes 3 chromis, 1 false percula clown, and 1 melanurus wrasse. I was wondering if I would be able to add an M. bipartitus and an M. geoffroy. If not both, would one be acceptable? Assuming they are eating frozen in the store, is it feasible to feed these fish twice a day and keep them healthy, or do they need to eat all day long like a mandarin? Thanks so much for your time!

rad1687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2012, 11:59 AM   #2091
cas1069
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1687 View Post
I have a 90 gallon display with at 30 gallon sump/refugium. My current livestock includes 3 chromis, 1 false percula clown, and 1 melanurus wrasse. I was wondering if I would be able to add an M. bipartitus and an M. geoffroy. If not both, would one be acceptable? Assuming they are eating frozen in the store, is it feasible to feed these fish twice a day and keep them healthy, or do they need to eat all day long like a mandarin? Thanks so much for your time!
i tried a bipartitus in my 90 with fuge and my melanurus went after it and killed it in the first few days befor i could get it out it sucked alot if you try it i hope your melanurus plays nice

cas1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2012, 12:35 PM   #2092
pco1988
Registered Member

I have had my pair of Leopard Wrasse since January 4, 2010!!!
  • Macropharyngodon meleagris
  • LFS, they were only in the tanks for 4 hours. I happened to show up when they came in!
  • Placed the bags in the water and Temperature Accumulated them and then did a Drip Accumulation right into the Display Tank.
  • The tank was a reef tank, and at the moment it's a fowlr. I hope to go back to a reef though! The tank is a 210gal with approx. 300gal total system and the tank is around 4 years old.
  • I have no other previous attempts.

I also bought them both as females and after 6 months the larger one started to morph into a male! That took him a few months to completely morph. I was so happy and it was an amazing thing to watch! I have a sand bed that is roughly 3-4 inches at the deepest point.

There are two types of people in this hobby:
"The ones who have had a tank crash, and the ones that are going to have a tank crash"

Current Tank Info: 11gal Nano Reef
pco1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2012, 02:13 PM   #2093
small alien
The fungus is among us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1687 View Post
I think with two big feedings per day, you have a shot. I'd say mine get fed an average of 2 times a day on weekdays and 3-5 times a day on weekends. Lots of pe mysis, prawn roe and SA pellets. Mine have excellent body weight.

I dont know about the melanarus. I would use an acclimation box.

Current Tank Info: 75 mixed reef. F OSFF, Clingfish, M/F Leopards, M Mandy, Darwin Clown, Bullet Goby, Green Clown Goby, M/F Matted Files, Bluestripe Pipe, Tailspot Blenny, Canary Wrasse, Royal Gramma, Papua Toby Puffer, Snooty Maori Wrasse.
small alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2012, 05:48 PM   #2094
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

yes the mutiple feeding will help and also if you can move a few rocks or corals around that too would help but be aware the melanarus might be a problem . the acclimation box may help but im not a fan as my training is to dim the tank for 24hrs when new fish come in not to display a fish under full light to the others as it stresses the fish in the acclimation box . i do understand that some have had good results with acclimation boxes , good luck

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2012, 10:58 PM   #2095
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

Well it took me all weekend but I finally made it through the whole entire thread!
I'm so excited for my pair to get here on Tuesday! As some of you know, I'm having a harem of M. Bipartitus (1m 2f) shipped in from Hawaii.

I've learned that they will more than likely go straight to the sandbed as soon as they are introduced. I need to have, which I do have, a 2-3in. sandbed made up of sugar fine sand. I need to feed PE mysis when I see them and have live brine ready. I also have nutramar ova and cyclopeeze that I will offer. I'm going to plan to treat the whole display tank with prazi pro in the first few days as soon as I see that they are eating. The tank will be covered with 1/4" netting from BRS. They should actively forage for pods.

I'm going to put the three of them in an acclimation box for the first few days with sand in the bottom to see how they do. Tank is a 120 gallon.

The one question that I have is even though I have a refugium set up that has been brewing for about 6 months with a ton of live rock and pods, I'd like to add an additional bottle just to be on the safe side. No one specifies which type of pods, whether it be artic pods or tigger pods or what..
Can someone please elaborate?

Great thread and thanks for all the wonderful information.

Unread 02/12/2012, 11:07 PM   #2096
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

perfect....except:

don't aclimate in box
dose prazi-pro

you'll be fine!

Unread 02/12/2012, 11:18 PM   #2097
jason2459
Registered Member

I would skip the acclimation box too as they are not used to such confined places let alone an aquarium in general. I don't really think you need to spend money on the extra "pods." Good luck and sounds like you've done some good planning but expect the unexpected with these guys.

Unread 02/13/2012, 05:49 AM   #2098
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

as above mentioned leave the box out , to much stress for sure .
AfricaOffroad ~~~~ please box up a half dozen of them bad boys and send em over here ,they are cool looking . how do they interact with other fish ?

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2012, 01:46 AM   #2099
Pylos
Registered Member

My first attempt at Macropharyngodon kuiteri. The tank currently has a large bipartitus male, 2x meleagris, a negrosensis and a geoffroyi.

Anyone have experience with kuiteri? What is the track record with them? Do they have a higher or lower mortality rate?

This one is eating well and socializing well.

San Diego Marine Aquarium Society - BOD Member

Current tank: 180g Mixed Reef
Pylos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2012, 10:34 AM   #2100
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

They arrived and are all alive. The salinity was spot on So I did a quick temp acclimation and release them in the display. They went.into the sand as expected. I'm gonna keep the lights off all day to late them get adjusted. *fingers crossed*