Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2013, 09:46 PM   #51
C Dog
Registered Member

Any updates? I like the tanks you made. Could you put clear acrylic on one side for viewing? Would the acrylic "weld" to the PVC board?

Unread 03/21/2013, 09:36 AM   #52
Southsid_reefer
Moved On

i willl have some updates for you guys in a couple of days. this being a father thing takes up alot of time.lol

tanks have been running with water for about 5 months, but due to some $$$ issues the project has been coming together kinda slow. but things have been getting better so in about a month or so everything should be finished up.

the first tank is my sps grow out tank which is lit by 2-36in tek t5 6bulb fixtures with ati blue. plus and atil coral plus.

this tank was going really good. till i had a crash and had to toss close to 400 pieces.
so tank is empty for now. im going to let it ride empty for a bit before i start stocking it again.im thinking the cause of the crash was the eggcrate from home depot. which i later found out by using a left over piece inside of another tank and the egg create started to release an oil substance into the water.( so be sure to throughly rinse the crate guys)..

give me a couple days and i will post some pics

Southsid_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2013, 04:12 PM   #53
moatdaddy
Registered Member

egg crate leaches phospates also.. ATS, i love it, going on my next prop build for sure. try acrylic and just drill it, also you would be surprised how often you have corals that dont need that perfect hole size. arcylic works great because it doesnt leach and you can custom form it. also i find it much easier to clean. granted you pay more

moatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2013, 07:55 PM   #54
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsid_reefer View Post
i willl have some updates for you guys in a couple of days. this being a father thing takes up alot of time.lol

tanks have been running with water for about 5 months, but due to some $$$ issues the project has been coming together kinda slow. but things have been getting better so in about a month or so everything should be finished up.

the first tank is my sps grow out tank which is lit by 2-36in tek t5 6bulb fixtures with ati blue. plus and atil coral plus.

this tank was going really good. till i had a crash and had to toss close to 400 pieces.
so tank is empty for now. im going to let it ride empty for a bit before i start stocking it again.im thinking the cause of the crash was the eggcrate from home depot. which i later found out by using a left over piece inside of another tank and the egg create started to release an oil substance into the water.( so be sure to throughly rinse the crate guys)..

give me a couple days and i will post some pics

man that sucks. I have noticed whenever I use egg crate from lowes or home depot in my tanks I get a hair algae bloom. Remove it and it's all gone. I wonder if the black egg crate leaches phosphates? I know my LFS uses it and sees no algae growth on it. I never tried acrylic but am having fun building with it.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon blue line rimless tank
reeftanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2013, 07:10 PM   #55
1DeR9_3Hy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeftanknewbie View Post
man that sucks. I have noticed whenever I use egg crate from lowes or home depot in my tanks I get a hair algae bloom. Remove it and it's all gone. I wonder if the black egg crate leaches phosphates? I know my LFS uses it and sees no algae growth on it. I never tried acrylic but am having fun building with it.
Ive seen a rather large system in person that uses only black egg crate that had one entire vat filled with black eggcrate covered in hair algae. Im not so certain anymore about the anecdotal evidence suggesting black egg crate is somehow different than the white in that it wont promote algal growth.

I say acrylic is the only surefire plastic we know off that readily available.

I hope it never catches on, I like having the oldest tank on here and I don't have to worry about calcification, bio pellets, Vodka dosing, DSBs, Chaetomorpha (I don't even know what that is) Carbonite hardness and all of these other things many people worry about.

If I had to think about all of that stuff I would get a stroke.
My test kit came in a wooden box and the directions say to keep in a cool chariott.
I throw some food in the tank, wave hello to the fish and go out with my wife and have a nice glass of merlot with dinner.
Have a great day but most of all, have fun.

-PaulB

Current Tank Info: 27 Gallon DAS softy/fish reef
1DeR9_3Hy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2013, 11:14 AM   #56
Aquarium Art
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsid_reefer View Post
Well as some of you may know, I have started my own business and things are really starting to take off. So we need to setup more systems to supply more stock.

I started my build 2 weeks ago on 3 tanks made of 3/4 PVC foam board that I purchased from Faulkner Plastic. I purchased 3-8x4 foot sheets and had them cut to to size to make Tanks that are 74x24x10. I screwed the tanks together with stainless steel screws (they don't come in contact with the water) and then sealed. Tanks were also braced on the inside with 1in pieces to make an extra seal. We tested them today and all three passed, no leaks

We also build all 3 stands out of 2x4 and painted them with satin black waterproofing stain. They look great. Tomorrow we will continue to run all the electrical and move the 2-60 gallon frag tanks to the other side of the garage( that's going to be fun)

Haven't made up my mind on lighting but I would like to setup up LEDs on all tanks but that would be pricey, so for now I may just go with a some MH on light movers on each tank.

Tanks will be setup with a auto water change system.

more updates to come.....

nice job

Aquarium Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2013, 06:20 PM   #57
hypnoj
Registered Member

looks good! Following.

hypnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2013, 06:32 PM   #58
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DeR9_3Hy View Post
Ive seen a rather large system in person that uses only black egg crate that had one entire vat filled with black eggcrate covered in hair algae. Im not so certain anymore about the anecdotal evidence suggesting black egg crate is somehow different than the white in that it wont promote algal growth.

I say acrylic is the only surefire plastic we know off that readily available.
was just at a frag swap over the weekend and heard the same thing from other reefers.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon blue line rimless tank
reeftanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2013, 04:43 PM   #59
Hypnotize
Registered Member

any updates?

Hypnotize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2013, 02:40 PM   #60
ckranz
Registered Member

Are those PVC board the same type they sell at Lowes?

ckranz is offline   Reply With Quote