Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2018, 07:38 AM   #1
Jonviviano
Registered Member

BulkReefSupply Discontinuing Calcium/Magnesium/Soda ash line

Does anyone know why BRS is Discontinuing its own line of some additives? I noticed this today when using the BRS reef calculator. It states these items are discontinued. If you search the product for sale they are all on clearance.

Jonviviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 07:41 AM   #2
homer1475
Registered Member

They still have them, they are just repackaged to use one package to 1 gallon of RO/DI. Seems they are doing away with the bulk part of bulk chemicals.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 08:28 AM   #3
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Smart, as I have condensation in my magnesium mix. Not sure if it is even good anymore.

Volcmreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 09:08 AM   #4
scuzy
Registered Member

They up the price and said the be stuff are pharmaceutical grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 10:17 AM   #5
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

They are replacing the current line with a higher quality (and higher priced) line of replacements.

I bought 10g of CaCl on clearance so I should be good for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 10:26 AM   #6
homer1475
Registered Member

It's somewhat funny seeing as BRS is upping their price and telling everyone to use pharmaceutical grade products, while most reefers who use Randy's DIY are using things like prestone driveway heat that is certainly not pharmaceutical grade. And yet no one has an issue with not using pharmaceutical grade products.

Me personally, I think BRS is using the same chemicals they always have. They just changed the packaging and is charging more for it.

Unread 03/21/2018, 10:40 AM   #7
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

^^Agree, sucks.

Volcmreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 10:50 AM   #8
homer1475
Registered Member

Here's the kicker....

If you ask BRS about using DIY solutions, I'm almost possitive they will tell you that it's probably fine:

"but no one knows the long term effects those "other" chemicals will have on your tank."

With watching their recent video's, their attitude, and demeanor, I'm also beginning to think they are becoming like any other LFS, giving shoddy advice with the intent to sell you something.

Unread 03/21/2018, 10:51 AM   #9
jiminy_crime
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
It's somewhat funny seeing as BRS is upping their price and telling everyone to use pharmaceutical grade products, while most reefers who use Randy's DIY are using things like prestone driveway heat that is certainly not pharmaceutical grade. And yet no one has an issue with not using pharmaceutical grade products.

Me personally, I think BRS is using the same chemicals they always have. They just changed the packaging and is charging more for it.

I have to disagree. I have been using Kent Marine Kalkwasser and switched to BRS Kalkwasser in the new packaging and have noticed a few things.

The difference between the 2 is noticeable.
1) when I would put a tablespoon of Kent Marine Kalk into RODI water, it would float on top of water until I stirred it in. The BRS Kalk falls into the water and disperses before I ever get to stirring it.
2) in my tank, I had to cut back on how many tablespoons of Kalk I used with BRS Kalk as it seemed more potent. I was up to 8 tablespoons of Kalk in a 5 gallon jug with Kent Marine Kalk and had to cut back to 5 just to maintain my Alk where it was at.

Just a few things I have noticed with their new pharmaceutical grade Kalk.

Current Tank Info: 91 gallon RSR 350/RO 152s protein skimmer/36” ATI Dimmable/Neptune WAV/Neptune Apex
jiminy_crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 10:59 AM   #10
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy_crime View Post
I have to disagree. I have been using Kent Marine Kalkwasser and switched to BRS Kalkwasser in the new packaging and have noticed a few things.

The difference between the 2 is noticeable.
1) when I would put a tablespoon of Kent Marine Kalk into RODI water, it would float on top of water until I stirred it in. The BRS Kalk falls into the water and disperses before I ever get to stirring it.
2) in my tank, I had to cut back on how many tablespoons of Kalk I used with BRS Kalk as it seemed more potent. I was up to 8 tablespoons of Kalk in a 5 gallon jug with Kent Marine Kalk and had to cut back to 5 just to maintain my Alk where it was at.

Just a few things I have noticed with their new pharmaceutical grade Kalk.

Your comparing products made by 2 different manufacturers, doesn't count. One would expect to see some differences when using the same product from 2 different manufacturers.

I have an "old" container of calcium chloride, and a "new" bag of calcium chloride, both from BRS.

Both mix up the same, both look the same. Unfortunately look and how they mix up is the only way I have to discern between the 2.

Besides BRS has always stated they used pharmaceutical grade chemicals all along. So what exactly are they telling us? They didn't before, but are now?

Unread 03/21/2018, 01:31 PM   #11
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post

bingo.
brs got reefers all figured out.
they are great salesman and figured they can repackage the same thing and sell it at a higher price and suckers will still buy it. I bet they can sell a freezer to an eskimo lol.

I've used swimming pool soda ash and calcium for almost 10 years with no issue.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 11:31 PM   #12
bertoni
RC Mod

Kalk will degrade with exposure to air into calcium carbonate, and the conversion process might be be less thorough with some producers than others. I think that Kalk generally is produced from calcium carbonate, anyway, but I'll have to do some research. I think it's likely that some Kalk products have a higher percentage of lime than others. That might be a good research product for someone.

Of course, another issue is that we should be measuring by weight, not volume, to be very precise, and even that is complicated by moisture content. Sigh!