Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/24/2020, 12:48 PM   #1
smklaw
Registered Member

My Latest Build 325-400g

Just getting ready to start a new house and have planned a built-in tank with full fish-room behind it. 2 sides will be viewable and I am pretty much limited on the length only- 7 feet. Crystal Dynamic has already quoted me a couple different sizes, but I just can't make a decision. I believe 30" for the depth is enough, but the height is where I'm stuck. I was actually considering doing a large insert, sticking 50 fish in it and taking a long break from the live reef so I had the tank originally quoted at 36" tall. Took a huge hit in Hurricane Irma and lost just about my entire tank. Well it took all of a few days for me to scrap that idea as I realized I would regret not doing the full mixed-reef after keeping some type of live reef most of my life.

I don't think the depth will be an issue for lighting, but 36" might be a huge PITA to do any work on compared to 28" or 30". My wife would like to see a lot more fish than I usually keep and the 36" would be a huge plus there, especially since I am going to have a lot more sps than ever before. Since it is built in and I will have a full room available behind it the maintenance would be a bit easier, especially if I install a platform up 2-3 feet. I plan to get a Royal Exclusiv Dreambox 3.0 that will not be under the tank at all. The sink will be moving to make space for the giant filter system.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Attached Images
File Type: png Fish Room.png (39.5 KB, 41 views)

Current Tank Info: 160 corner, 225 and currently planning/pricing 325-400
smklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2020, 10:38 AM   #2
Jeffatpm
Registered Member

A couple things i'd recommend that made a difference in my sump room. Do a drain line around the room that every sump or container can overflow into. Have space for a manifold and reactors, water storage and mixing, possibly a frag tank, and or quarantine space.

Jeffatpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2020, 12:57 PM   #3
wtac
Registered Member

If lots of fish are the focus with a mixed reef, consider 36" back to front.

Honestly, height of a DT will not be an issue IF access to front and back sides are available along with tools like QuikPik AquaTongs. I've had the honor of working on systems 30" to 6ft tall and its easy IF you have accessibility to the DT and the right tools. Without one or the other, you will dread the maintenance and it's just going to be a waste of time, effort, money and livestock.

Understanding that you had a catastrophic loss from power outages from a hurricane (my apologies as we don't get then to that degree in Canada), perhaps consider power back up for basic electrical equipment for the system should be in the plan for heaters, powerheads, LED light bars and sized for the hourly downtime that you have experienced whether be gas generator or deepcycle batteries.

Last edited by wtac; 08/30/2020 at 01:04 PM.
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2020, 03:26 PM   #4
smklaw
Registered Member

Jeff- I do plan for a mixing tank (whole house in on r/o water), frag tank and a quarantine tank. I am not sure I understand the drain line around the room. I am having a floor drain installed in the center of the room that I was planning to be able to access to siphon to from anything in the room. I plan to tile the entire room and up the walls 4', but still haven't figured out how to make the door a bit water-proof in the event of a major water leak so the floor drain has a chance to drain it away.

wtac-I do not plan to have access to the front, but the entire tank will be open to the room behind. That's one of the reasons I will probably limit front to back to 30", but I am leaning towards the 36" depth and using MH again (with LED). I have a 30kw generator with 1000 gallon gas tank going in. I have had too many electrical issues over the years.

Current Tank Info: 160 corner, 225 and currently planning/pricing 325-400
smklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2020, 11:50 AM   #5
ReefingFriend
Registered Member

Nice plan

ReefingFriend is offline   Reply With Quote